Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #27,617 of 48,562
  I use the same combo with mixamp turned all the way up and there is no audible hiss in my cans. 

What headphones are you using? The hiss is there, everyone I have heard from using the mixamp complains about it. Apparently the 2011 model is not as bad for hiss but still present if that is what you have.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #27,618 of 48,562
  What headphones are you using? The hiss is there, everyone I have heard from using the mixamp complains about it. Apparently the 2011 model is not as bad for hiss but still present if that is what you have.

I use Sennheisers HD598 plugged into the 2013 mixamp. I noticed that the amount of hiss varies depending on the power source, try plugging the usb cable into Your PC and see if there's a difference.

When I plugged the headphones straight into the mixamp and turned the volume knob all the way up then I did hear the hiss, but with the headphones plugged through the Magni it could be heard only with amp's volume turned all the way up which was much too loud for me. I usually keep my Magni's volume between 9 and 10 o' clock.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #27,619 of 48,562
Hmm, I am using it with a ps4 so I need to use the USB for chat. I have a HD600 that I will experiment with this tonight on and see if the magni can help.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #27,620 of 48,562
  Hmm, I am using it with a ps4 so I need to use the USB for chat. I have a HD600 that I will experiment with this tonight on and see if the magni can help.

Not really, You can buy a PS4 chat cable and plug it between the controller and the x360 port on the mixamp. Then You can plug the USB into the PC (That's what my setup looks like) and use it for Skype or mixing audio from pc and console while gaming (i.e watching youtube walkthrough while gaming)

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #27,621 of 48,562
Ahh Yethal,
I forgot the say thank you for the mod. It works fine. I can not say, if the soundstage has increased, but I think, the bass did.

@all the others.
As a PC gamer, the X7 wouldn`t be a big increase to a SB ZXR or what do you think? I would only use it for PC gaming.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #27,622 of 48,562
  Ahh Yethal,
I forgot the say thank you for the mod. It works fine. I can not say, if the soundstage has increased, but I think, the bass did.

@all the others.
As a PC gamer, the X7 wouldn`t be a big increase to a SB ZXR or what do you think? I would only use it for PC gaming.

Depends on whether you want to use any of the additional connectivity.  Sound-wise, they should be about the same...

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #27,623 of 48,562
I know this isn't the PC thread but I think you guys can help answer this question:

What would be the best combination:

FiiO E10K 

or 

Sound Blaster Z + External Amp (maybe Schiit Magni)

I'm going to need to buy an external amp for my mixamp pro + PS4 but I'm trying to minimize the cost and just swap out the devices when needed. So, is the DAC in the SBZ any good compared to the E10K or will it lack too much in sound quality? This question pertains mostly to music btw.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #27,624 of 48,562
  I know this isn't the PC thread but I think you guys can help answer this question:

I'd go the SBZ - Magni [maybe even the newly announced Magni 2, improved for the same price, or Magni Uber for slightly more :}] road for sure.
Should sound better than the E10K and you'll probably appreciate all the extra features/flexibility of a dedicated amp 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #27,625 of 48,562
Lots of people eager to pay $150 for the Modi 2 Uber.  I have to hold my tongue to not hop in that thread and tell them to just get an Omni for the same performance at half the price.

Magni 2 looks pretty BA tho.  That's a lot of power for not a lot of money.

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #27,626 of 48,562
  Lots of people eager to pay $150 for the Modi 2 Uber.  I have to hold my tongue to not hop in that thread and tell them to just get an Omni for the same performance at half the price.

Magni 2 looks pretty BA tho.  That's a lot of power for not a lot of money.

If you have use for an optical or coaxial input, I think it's a good value still.
If you want it for USB only, I wouldn't hold my breath for much improvement, besides the aluminum chassis 
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #27,627 of 48,562
Both will need a real headamp with own powersupply to sound good and less noise/hiss like this one use same TPA6120A2 as in X7 with S/N 120dB.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y7S3QY
http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-sApII-TPA6120A2-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00J2PJQ0O
41x3kcmH5RL._SY300_.jpg

Two things to keep in mind:
1. two amps could use the same opamp chip, but measure and sound differently depending on the amp's overall design and power supply. Another amp with the same OpAmp is the FiiO E9 (and newer version E09k), reviewers test them an a few have pointed out that they don't fully take advantage of the TPA6120A2 chip (but the E9 is definitely a decent amp still). The SMSL you pointed out may be good too, I haven't heard it.

2. The X2 will probably have tighter bass and bettery dynamics with an amp, but decent volume straight out from the recon3D USB. you may need a small adapter to split the tip of the Boompro Cable into audio and mic plugs, if the cable or Recon3D don't already come with one. I've bought two recon3Ds in the past, definitely my personal favorite of the "classic" gaming surround processors, but right now individual units are pretty marked up in price and Creative is only selling them bundled with a wireless headset (which you can still use the processor with other headphones, it just comes with the wireless syncing module and headphone).

Still awaiting shipment of my X7, review in-bound.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #27,628 of 48,562
Guess I'll get the Magni 2 since its the same price. Thanks everyone.

EDIT:

Now going back to the Mixamp Pro vs. Recon3D, I don't know what to believe. Mad Lust Envy says they're 75% of the mixamp (meaning worse) but others are saying they at least match the Mixamp Pro.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #27,629 of 48,562
Guess I'll get the Magni 2 since its the same price. Thanks everyone.

EDIT:

Now going back to the Mixamp Pro vs. Recon3D, I don't know what to believe. Mad Lust Envy says they're 75% of the mixamp (meaning worse) but others are saying they at least match the Mixamp Pro.

Mad prefers Dolby Headphone over SBX. He also likes that DH rolls off the highs a bit, and 12 o'clock rear cues work better for him. SBX is less distorted and more precise imaging IMO. Really, they're basically on the same level DAC wise, minor trade-offs in the amps for the Recon3D (less gain/weaker amp/cleaner output and better for double-amping) and Mixamp (more gain but more grain/noise, output power is shared with chat so max output decreases as you add chat volume). The Mixamp has chat volume mixing, but the recon3D has mic gain boosting (kinda redundant on the PS4 but cool on PC and PS3). Recon3D can process surround from USB input, so it's a more "true" PC sound card while also being an optical surround processor for consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back