Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 25, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #27,241 of 48,562
I admit, I'm still alive, but I just haven't had much reason to come back here since I have just about everything I could ask for when it comes to audio...save for another SR-Lambda and SRM-T1, but that'll have to wait 'til I've got a more stable financial foundation.

The K7XX gave me a reason to came back. I'm hoping it lives up to what I remember of the K612 and K712.

Other than that, I'm more likely to talk displays at the moment, especially since my GDM-FW900 is now dead and I don't think there's anyone left on this side of the country who knows how to fix it. So much for owning the greatest gaming monitor in existence...it's back to the usual 4:3 Trinitrons or holding off for an LCD that doesn't totally suck, I guess.

It's that or me wanting a Wii U immensely now that its version of Smash is out.

Well at least resale value went up on the MA900. Did you hear what I got myself into recently?

The Stax SR-X/Mk3, you mean? Nice find! Hope it didn't cost too much and the pads were in decent shape.

Granted, that's one of the models I haven't heard. My experience is mainly a few flavors of Lambda-series models and the one Gamma I found painfully uncomfortable.

I still have my "beater" Lambda, actually, but when I broke out that old A/V receiver, one of the channels was completely dead. That, and I didn't like having all that bulk on my computer desk. A more compact speaker amp that can power my SRD-7/SB would be nice.

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #27,242 of 48,562
Hey Guys, 

I would just quickly like some advice on purchasing some audio equipment for movies, music and gaming. I have been looking at the HD 800's and I believe i can get them at a reasonable price. However,  there are two slight concerns i have. 

1. Assuming I obtain a decent amplifier is the sound quality produced by the PS4 high enough that a person will benefit from such high end headphones? (i plan to also use the headphone for the PC, but my main concern is the ps4)

2. What amplifier would you guys recommend which would give me a nice balance when it comes to watching movies, listening to music but also gaming?
  I have been recommended the Asus Xonar Essence One, but im unsure about purchasing an amplifier from Asus. 

Thanks 

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #27,243 of 48,562
I'm really enjoying the X2. It sounds great. They have a definite winner.

I heard they changed the velour material a little on the X2.  Supposedly made it less itchy (not that I had any problem with the X1). 

You notice anything different with the velour?

Ear cups seem about the same depth roominess inside?

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #27,244 of 48,562
Calpis, I see you lurking you, you damn legendary pokemon.

Oh hi :)

Current status, finally found and bought a Mirage UNI-Theater "sound bar" and had to shift a lot of things on my desk so I haven't had my mstage amp hooked up in over a month. Still have my Pro2900 but the head pad needs to be replaced now that it's completely flattened. Still trying to find a pair of drivers to stick into my spare pair of 15G's. But yeah, mainly speaker duty for the past 6 weeks or so. Other than that just a butt load of anime watching and learning how to play Smash (haven't touched Smash since N64).

Oh yeah, jumped on the K7XX... 

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #27,245 of 48,562
Quote:
From this point on, if anyone asks me what the best headphone is for $200, you guys can auto answer for me. The K7XX will be the easy answer, considering it's more than likely an Annie downmarked to a ridiculously affordable price level (by audiphile standards).

Seriously. Forget the MA900, K612, DT990 Pro. The K7XX for $200 is the one you'll want, IF you want a very balanced sound with some warmth in the bass and mids, and very good soundstage and comfort. You can then just buy some Q701 pads for it if you prefer a more detail focused and even more spacious sound. The only thing that keeps me from it is that it isn't exactly the easiest thing to drive when a mic is attached, which is why I'm still focused on the X2.

Hello there!

First off, thanks for all the reviews! A lot of your time went into these, and they are really helpful!

Now, I have been saving up money for some time now in order to make my first step into "low end" audiophile. I say "low end" because my budget is (was?) 200€ and, in my opinion, my usage of headphones wouldn't justify more than that: I am playing on PC, and don't have enough high quality music, which I mostly listen to at a fairly low volume when I am working anyway. I was initially planning to get an AKG K612 with a SoundBlaster Z, with maybe getting a decent amp later, but now I am also thinking about the K7XX... Both of these would undoubtedly be a few steps above the Superlux HD681 EVO I currently own anyway.

Now here's the deal: I am a competitive gamer. Even if I play by myself, that's how I play... Can't help with that... So knowing that, would you still recommend the K7XX over the K612? But I wouldn't mind a small trade off in competitive gaming if the headphone really is better overall, so do you think the trade off would be worth the extra cash? By the way, after euro conversion, the headphone is only 35€ more than the K612.
I know you haven't tried these yet, but since they're based on the K702 Annies which you said was one of your favorites, maybe you can help me with that.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!  :D

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #27,247 of 48,562
  Hey Guys, 

I would just quickly like some advice on purchasing some audio equipment for movies, music and gaming. I have been looking at the HD 800's and I believe i can get them at a reasonable price. However,  there are two slight concerns i have. 

1. Assuming I obtain a decent amplifier is the sound quality produced by the PS4 high enough that a person will benefit from such high end headphones? (i plan to also use the headphone for the PC, but my main concern is the ps4)

2. What amplifier would you guys recommend which would give me a nice balance when it comes to watching movies, listening to music but also gaming?
  I have been recommended the Asus Xonar Essence One, but im unsure about purchasing an amplifier from Asus. 

Thanks 

Go for the HD 800. Best soundstage. Huge, deep, tall, razor sharp imaging, very "fast" and goes deep with plenty of impact (depending on the amp). ZxR had very good impact, though bass is less controlled than a V281 but seriously, it doesn't matter with gaming and movies, these headphones are still ahead. We're not talking boomy levels of mid-fi headphones. 

1. Depends on the game. 1st party Sony is mostly the best. Multiplats get better generally though (DICE titles always sounded good, at least in terms of recording quality). I didn't have much problems last gen. A few titles were bad, like Bioshock Infinite + CMSS-3D or Far Cry 3's low res voice audio but 99% of the time there was never any kind of problem with the HD 800.
Don't worry too much, over time these things get much better since new gen has more ram, storage space etc.

2. Wait for the Soundblaster X7. Your PS4 will be limited to AC3 output only for most surround devices unless PS4 finally outputs multichannel audio over USB. Best on PC, still good for PS4 (see AC3 above). Based on my ZxR impressions with the HD 800 this gon b gud. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #27,249 of 48,562
  Okay, the PC 363D is a headset that I can get new for 139 euros, while the G4ME One is 209 euros here. Is it worth the price difference/is it an improvement soundwise? 

The problem is that the PC360's are 159 euros and I can get the PC 363D new for 139 euros. G4ME Zero is even more expensive with 220 euros and they both are not an improvement over the PC 363D, correct? 

Get the pc363d then..you can just unattach the dongle and use them as a normal headset like the pc360's.. 139 euros is a good price Elf, snap them up!

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #27,251 of 48,562
Hello,

Im looking for a setup for PC gaming. My motherboard has the Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC (Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound). I'm really confused about the whole surround sound thing, so my questions are:
Amp/Dac:
1) If i were to plug headphones into an O2 and the O2 into my motherboard sound-card (above) would that result in a good sound-stage/imaging for gaming?
2) Would the E17/E18 not give me surround sound?
3) Would the O2 and Odac give surround sound?

Headphones:
4) Also could someone please do a comparison between the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X and the AKG k612 pro?
5) I would love a set of cans that work well with music as well as gaming; so out of the AKG k612/Q701 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X which would be the best all round can for gaming and Nightwish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdZn7k5rZLQ) and Lindsy Sterling music (I believe base adds to a song but i dislike base that drowns out the rest of the music)

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #27,252 of 48,562

Get the pc363d then..you can just unattach the dongle and use them as a normal headset like the pc360's.. 139 euros is a good price Elf, snap them up!

Yeah it is indeed a good price, how can I attach the headset to the Mixamp and PS4? I know the Mixamp goes optical to the PS4. But after that, I'm not quite sure what to do. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #27,253 of 48,562
I heard they changed the velour material a little on the X2.  Supposedly made it less itchy (not that I had any problem with the X1). 

You notice anything different with the velour?

Ear cups seem about the same depth roominess inside?

Chico!

Hmm, it's been awhile, but i do distinctly remember the X1's pads being a bit rougher and on the itchy side (it didn't bother me most of the time, but it did happen). The X2's pads feel less hairy, and thus less itchy. My memory on this isn't great though, so take that with a grain of salt. the X2 feels good, is all I'm saying.

I remember having problems with the inner cavity size of the x1 towards the end of my time with them (I would literally put a thumb and finger to extend the inner length to fit my ear). I feel the X2's size is a tad bigger (my ears fit with absolutely zero problems), but again, I can't be certain.

As for length/size, I no longer have to bend the headphone to fit my head. The X2 fit perfectly out of the box, though I did stretch it out a bit due to some strong clamp. I'll say comfort is going to be around an 8.75 for me. I see the X1 has that score, and I should probably change the X1 to more like an 8.5 (small size and smaller ear cavities)..

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #27,254 of 48,562
I just ordered the K7XX I have a Yamaha receiver that has silent cinema and have done some researching on how to make it work with the ps4 with a modmic. It seems like it would just be easier to get a astro mixamp but more expensive and worried that the mixamp will not be as good as using the receiver.  Has anyone tried both and if so which method did you prefer?

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #27,255 of 48,562
Pretty sure the receiver will sound considerably better than the Mixamp, though the surround tech will probably not be as good. I haven't heard Silent cinema, but from my old friends at AVS, they tell me it pales in comparison to Dolby Headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back