Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 18, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #26,131 of 48,583
What is the ultimate competitive FPS gaming headphone? I have the HD800s for gaming right now. Both AD700x and K701 got 10/10 for competitiveness. How does the HD800s compare? The sound engine on BF4 is pretty poor, but it's still nice to try to get the best positional setup I can, and maybe for when I play another FPS game.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #26,132 of 48,583
  What is the ultimate competitive FPS gaming headphone? I have the HD800s for gaming right now. Both AD700x and K701 got 10/10 for competitiveness. How does the HD800s compare? The sound engine on BF4 is pretty poor, but it's still nice to try to get the best positional setup I can, and maybe for when I play another FPS game.

HD800 are in the ballpark of best gaming cans ever made. As pointed out on the first page of this guide.

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #26,133 of 48,583
Anyone knows how soundblaster Recon3D mix the game and chat audio, works likes mixamp? Can I control in the device how much audio goes to game and chat? Or is a fixed value setting on PC?

Thx

You can always adjust chat volume on PC, you just turn up the volume on the Recon3D/external amp till the chat is loud enough, then go into the game's settings menu and turn down the game volume till you have a good balance.

But during a chatting game, can I adjust Recon3D over PS4 settings, how people do?

Is the only question that is holding me to purchase a unit.

Thx

Even most console games have settings options with a volume control, so you can adjust games the same way as I mentioned above for PC.

Keep in mind you can also boost mic gain if people say you're too quiet; there's a switch in the side of the recon3D to set mic gain to three positions, and if you regularly play with someone else and they are too quiet, you can tell them to go into their PS4 settings>devices>audio settings>microphone settings and adjust the mic gain slider.

Rather than waiting for someone to review the HD800 + gaming + surround, think about what you know about it's sound and connect the dots with what sound characteristics make for an extra competitive headphone...

•easy to hear lots of detail
•a sense of distance and instrument separation (soundstage)
•audible but not distracting bass that also doesn't bleed over other sounds and hide details.
•Comfortable enough not to distract you during extended gaming sessions.

Any headphone that exhibits these traits will be a very good competitive headphone and really respond well to virtual surround processing, as said in all of the headphone reviews that were marked as particularly good for competitive awareness. Just having a lot of sonic information doesn't make you a great gamer though, you still have to be able to take in information and analyze and extrapolate to understand what's happening next and your options for how to react.

So yeah, the HD800 has been many times over reviewed as the greatest ever headphone to do all the things I listed for a competitive headphone, which you should already realize if you spent the money and already own/listen to the headphone, but if you don't already realize that the HD800 is capable to the point of overkill then it probably won't make you a more skillful player.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #26,134 of 48,583
I have the Sennheiser G4me One and Astro Mixamp. I was playing last night and my friends kept saying can you hear that sound its so creepy. I couldnt hear it.. this got me really mad considering I spent well over $300 for this setup and was expecting to hear everything in the sound mix. Especially since they both have a $80 sony gold wireless headset and I have a setup that costs 3 times as much.

My question is could it be a problem with the mixamp not providing enough power to my sennheisers and need a separate headphone amp to power them? Or do they just suck? They are only 50 ohm and from what I heard the astro mixamp should be fine powering 50 Ohm drivers.

Please give me some advice before I send this crap back lol.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #26,135 of 48,583
I have the Sennheiser G4me One and Astro Mixamp. I was playing last night and my friends kept saying can you hear that sound its so creepy. I couldnt hear it.. this got me really mad considering I spent well over $300 for this setup and was expecting to hear everything in the sound mix. Especially since they both have a $80 sony gold wireless headset and I have a setup that costs 3 times as much.

My question is could it be a problem with the mixamp not providing enough power to my sennheisers and need a separate headphone amp to power them? Or do they just suck? They are only 50 ohm and from what I heard the astro mixamp should be fine powering 50 Ohm drivers.

Thanks!
sounds like your friends were screwing with you?

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #26,136 of 48,583
sounds like your friends were screwing with you?

No they actually were not, because when I listened harder I could hear it very very very very faintly in the background. Also it wasnt a bunch of people at the same time, they both said it on different times. I really am looking for some audiophiles with some experience with the astro mixamp let me know if it could be caused by not enough power.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #26,137 of 48,583
  No they actually were not, because when I listened harder I could hear it very very very very faintly in the background. Also it wasnt a bunch of people at the same time, they both said it on different times. I really am looking for some audiophiles with some experience with the astro mixamp let me know if it could be caused by not enough power.

the HD598 is 50 ohms, atro is 48 i think? 

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #26,139 of 48,583

Thanks!

Well, it may also just be you.  Apparently, in Destiny, loot chests make a humming sound that's really noticeable "if you have good headphones".  Some of my friends can hear it clear as day.  I can only hear it if I'm standing right next to the chest and there's no music or anything else going on.  I know it's not my setup because I have a very good setup.  I just can't really pick that sound out.

Maybe we're just ear-tarded from too many loud concerts... 

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #26,140 of 48,583
Well, it may also just be you.  Apparently, in Destiny, loot chests make a humming sound that's really noticeable "if you have good headphones".  Some of my friends can hear it clear as day.  I can only hear it if I'm standing right next to the chest and there's no music or anything else going on.  I know it's not my setup because I have a very good setup.  I just can't really pick that sound out.

Maybe we're just ear-tarded from too many loud concerts... 

Yeah Still and I can have the same headphones/setup, and I'll hear the chests a little better. Sometimes I miss it too though, I miss it less now that I know what to listen for and my mind kinda filters through the sounds for that.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #26,141 of 48,583

Don't look elsewhere again.

Make sure your amp gives good enough voltage swing. The impedance in kickbass regions for instance goes up to 640 Ohm.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #26,142 of 48,583
Man this thread is packed full of great info.

I'm just about to buy myself  a set of Fidelio X1's  (exciting times!)

I noticed that on Amazon.co.uk (I'm in Ireland so I gotta buy from there) the model listed is Philips Fidelio X1/00, whereas on Amazon.com the model listed is Philips Fidelio X1/28 (this is from the Amazon link on the front page).  There is a difference in the price too.

Anybody know what the differences between the two models are , or if there even are any?

I've google-ized this and I found one or two similar questions that had no definite answers.

One other thing is that MLE recommends replacing the stock cable on the X1's with Mediabridge Audio Cables.  Unfotunately Amazon.co.uk don't sell these cables.

Can somebody please recommend a suitable alternative cable?  Preferrably somebody who has replaced their X1's stock cable and has seen(heard)  the improvement first hand?

Cheers

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #26,143 of 48,583
Hello, I wonder, of the Following models, Which would best headphone positional audio for competitive gaming. The game would be Cs GO and future in the new COD. I'm a competitive level where any extreme detail can help me. Currently playing with the PC360. But I'm looking for a headphone open and closed headphone. I have a creative titanium HD , I  don't have interest in purchasing an amp for heaphone. Already experienced dt880 600ohm in my titanium HD and found very acceptable , though all peoples speak  she would not go perfectly, so I think this relative. They are heaphones:

Open: AKG K701 / AKG Q701 / ATH AD900 and HD 598 =  one option

Closed: AKG K550 / ATH A900 / PC 350 SE / Denon D2000 = one option .

Thanks

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #26,144 of 48,583
I currently have the AD700X headphones and I primarily do single player PC gaming.  I think they sound great, but I have been considering looking at other options for a more immersive gaming experience (if possible) with a Soundblaster Z card.  The Sennheiser 558's were brought to my attention.  Would these provide a better single player gaming experience over the AD700X's?  Do you have any other recommendations that would be more in line with my goal? 

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #26,145 of 48,583
Ok, so I have an Astro Mixamp but I'm wondering what headset to get. Should I get the PC360 for $210 or is it worth the extra money for the ADG1 at $280? And before anyone says I'm better off getting the AD700x or whatever I want a proper headset. For me it's worth paying extra for the convenience of the attached mic. I just want to know whether it is worth the extra money for the ADG1 or if its not really much better than the PC360.

Also, out of curiosity, does the G4me One sound any better than the PC360 or are the update purely cosmetic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back