Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2,506 of 48,583

Quote:
Sigh.
I finally thought I knew what I'm going for with a Senn PC360 and Asus Xonar STX combo, and then someone shows the Beyer MMX 300.  Back to confusion again.  This thing looks amazing, and is closed back.  That was one of my main worries about the 360 (as it definitely will have an impact on a nearby sleeping wife).  I've read all of the reviews I could find online about the mmx 300.  Anyone here have any last minute practical experience with it?  Especially wondering how useful the included usb sound card is, as going up the mmx 300 in price wouldn't leave much money left for a new soundcard.

Main things I'm looking for in a headset are good music performance, good comfort for multi hour play sessions, decent positional sound, and nice immersive rumbles and booms from my assorted World of Tanks tanks.

Thanks again all

you just described the mmx 300. its exactly what your looking for.

What I would do though, is get a used dt770, since thats what the mmx 300 essentially is. 

I haven't seen a lot of direct comparisons but I heard they sound pretty similar, and you can always just get a clip on mic from amazon for $10 

theres no way i would pay $350 for those. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #2,507 of 48,583
I agree ^

Yes, the MMX 300 are nice, but overpriced.  They are basically DT770s with a mic that cost several hundred dollars more.  A DT770 (32 ohm version?) + antlion mod mic would save you $$$.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #2,510 of 48,583

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should use to power AKG K701's? I was hoping to get an amp good for music + gaming..

PC gaming, or console?  Do you have surround sound virtualization such as dobly headphone already?

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2,512 of 48,583
I think I'm gonna go ahead and just not kid myself. I want the D7000 again. IF they somehow manage to go down to $600 new like when I bought them last year ($590!), I'll take that hit and call it a day. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks, as deals are bound to be plentiful during the holidays. They were absolute magic, and caused me to not search for anything better. I did get the HE4 after, but that was because I wanted something open. They were different, but the D7000 was what made my jaw drop every time.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #2,513 of 48,583

Quote:
you could find a used dt770 in the sub $150 category if you look hard enough :D

Heck, you can find them NEW at that price if you look hard enough. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #2,514 of 48,583

Quote:
PC Gaming, and no I don't.. 

I think a Dobly Headphone sound card would be good.  I'm not a pc gamer so I don't know my sound cards.  For music amps, the Matrix M-Stage is commonly paired with K701s.

Quote:
 I want the D7000 again. IF they somehow manage to go down to $600 new like when I bought them last year ($590!), I'll take that hit and call it a day.

On sale right now for $189
tongue_smile.gif
Seller looks legit....All you have do is wire money to their bank in China
http://www.oemship.com/new-denon-ahd7000-portable-headphone-headphones_p671.html

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #2,515 of 48,583
That's a gamble that some other suck--enthusiast can take. Lol

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #2,516 of 48,583

Quote:

I think a Dobly Headphone sound card would be good.  I'm not a pc gamer so I don't know my sound cards.  For music amps, the Matrix M-Stage is commonly paired with K701s.

tongue_smile.gif
http://www.oemship.com/new-denon-ahd7000-portable-headphone-headphones_p671.html

Hey, thanks for the reply! That amp would cost me more than the headphones themselves cost me.. Is there anything cheaper than would give me the same performance? I know it might be a dumb question, but its just difficult for me to believe it would be another 250 to get the best performance out of these.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #2,517 of 48,583

Quote:

Hey, thanks for the reply! That amp would cost me more than the headphones themselves cost me.. Is there anything cheaper than would give me the same performance? I know it might be a dumb question, but its just difficult for me to believe it would be another 250 to get the best performance out of these.

You could get a FiiO E10.  The amp section obviously isn't on par with the m-stage but I like it for the price.  An E9 amp double amping the laptops headphone jack doesn't sound as good as an E10 alone.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #2,519 of 48,583

Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

omgggggggg someone please be a test dummy and legitimifiy their sales :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back