Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #25,111 of 48,566
Anyone played with any of these newer external Creative cards?

Pages say they all do SBX Pro...

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-play-2
http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e1
http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e3

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #25,114 of 48,566
But does the 8x impedance guideline "technically" result in increased detail, or was NwAvGuy's blogger post more about how Sennheisers don't have flat impedance response, and if you use an amp with a high output impedance (and quite possibly many other design factors not taken into account) the result is more bass on top of the HD650's already higher neutral bass and subsequently some looser bass that bleeds over the mids (like many headphones with that much bass in their frequency curves already)? Do "most" headphones have noticeably nonlinear impedance response curves like NwAvGuy claims, or are we making assumptions because one guy who was banned said something that sounded plausible even though in many ways that banned guy misses/omits the bigger picture?

This isn't meant to discredit you, PurpleAngel (you know I like you), that whole paragraph above is meant to make you think "is there holes in either theory?" before passing along advice. You yourself said your 40-ohm Audio Technica's sounded decent, I'm just saying maybe there's more to the quality of an amp than output impedance, current, and voltage.

Conjecture and assumptions lead to beliefs like the earth is flat, and at the center of the universe, and that an amp is suited for the portable role even if it's too big for most pockets and all the connections and controls should be clustered on the front face.

Looking at some lower ohm Senns and some have a flat impedance response and others have a bump in the bass. I only found the bass to get muddy on the ones that have a bump in the bass in the impedance response. When I briefly had the Momentum On-ears which have a flat impedance response, I didn't find the bass to muddy up and bloat up like it did on my PX-100 ii or HD 239 on higher output impedance outputs and it has a lower ohm rating than either, the PX-100 ii and HD 239 have a moderate bump in the bass region for their ohm rating. I remember my AKG K240 MKII bloating up a bit in the bass(more upper bass than the mid-bass in Senns) as well but it also has a bump in the bass region.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #25,115 of 48,566
snip

and the Soundmagic HP-200 (I know little about) is a closed headphone that will be useful in some environments but retain more heat in warm environs/longer listening sessions. All have positive aspects and will please you in certain ways. Since nobody can tell you what to like, I suggest you buy the headphone that sounds the most appealing to you, they're all good and popular.

The HP100 is closed.  The HP200 is open.  The HP100 is a very neutral frequency response, does everything well, beautiful all-arounder.    The HP200, I've been told, is a little warmer and has a different sound signature.  Change can comment more on it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #25,116 of 48,566
The HP200 is actually more neutral than the closed HP100, which is slightly v-shaped. Both are great choices, just depends on whether the buyer wants open or closed.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #25,117 of 48,566
  So does this mean the closer the headphone impedance is to 8 times the output of the sound card the better it will sound? (Meaning the AKG K612 will work best with the SB-Z?) I'm really just wanting this to sound noticeably better than AD700 with my setup. I've never really used any headphones other than my AD700s so I'm very new to what sounds "decent". I just don't want something that sounds worse or very close to the same as what I have, which would just be a waste of money.

I'm far from a headphone audio expert, so I like to just throw in my 2 cents to hopefully help someone get a good audio setup.
The ATH-AD700 are good sounding headphones, they just lack any real bass (their only real negative).
In theory the (120-Ohm) AKG K612 Pros, should work the best with the SB-Z, compared to the two other headphones you listed.
But unless you can plug all three headphones into a SB-Z and compare them, there is no way i could say its "fact" that the AKG k612 Pro will sound the best (plugged into the SB-Z).
The Sound magic is not really a well know name brand and the HP 200 retails for more then the AKG K612s, so market forces sees the HP 200 as better (better sounding?) then the K612 Pros, even with AKG having name recognition over Sound Magic.
The Philips Fidelio X1 way out price the AKG K612s, that a negative for the K612s
I do not own the K612 Pros, but I do seem to have a soft spot for them, so I might have some weird biased in my opinions.

Some headphones seem to be more effected by the Ohm differences then others (Ohms is not the only factor in driving headphones, there is also "Sensitivity", which I'm still learning about),
I plug my AD700s into my Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver (high impedance headphone output) and I can't get them loud, no matter how high i turn up the volume.
Where as when i plug in my 50-Ohm HD558s and they sound great and have no problem getting loud, normally I plug my 250-Ohm and 600-Ohm headphones into my Yamaha receiver :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #25,118 of 48,566
  The HP100 is closed.  The HP200 is open.  The HP100 is a very neutral frequency response, does everything well, beautiful all-arounder.    The HP200, I've been told, is a little warmer and has a different sound signature.  Change can comment more on it.

I am quite curious about the Sound Magic headphones. Maybe I will pick up a pair in the future, if I get one it will probably be the HP150. I personally just got a closed-back though that is considered an all-rounder and a good gaming closed-back from what I've read, the Beyerdynamic DT 150, can't wait for it to arrive. Maybe I'll get the HP150 and compare the two.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #25,119 of 48,566
But does the 8x impedance guideline "technically" result in increased detail, or was NwAvGuy's blogger post more about how Sennheisers don't have flat impedance response, and if you use an amp with a high output impedance (and quite possibly many other design factors not taken into account) the result is more bass on top of the HD650's already higher neutral bass and subsequently some looser bass that bleeds over the mids (like many headphones with that much bass in their frequency curves already)? Do "most" headphones have noticeably nonlinear impedance response curves like NwAvGuy claims, or are we making assumptions because one guy who was banned said something that sounded plausible even though in many ways that banned guy misses/omits the bigger picture?
This isn't meant to discredit you, PurpleAngel (you know I like you), that whole paragraph above is meant to make you think "is there holes in either theory?" before passing along advice. You yourself said your 40-ohm Audio Technica's sounded decent, I'm just saying maybe there's more to the quality of an amp than output impedance, current, and voltage.
Conjecture and assumptions lead to beliefs like the earth is flat, and at the center of the universe, and that an amp is suited for the portable role even if it's too big for most pockets and all the connections and controls should be clustered on the front face.

I do somewhat base what I say on what the NwAvguy says and somewhat my experiences try all my (20) headphones in all my (7) different available headphone amplifiers.
So after stating the 8X impedance issue, I said it's a very lose guide line and stated that my 40-ohm headphones did decently well plugged into my SB-Z.
I think it takes time to write out a good detailed explanation on something and I just do not feel spending 30 minutes on writing several paragraphs to get the details just rights.
And then spend more time searching around to make sure I got my facts straight and then reediting my writings.

I just hope someone else comes in to fill in details that I do not explain well.

Albert Einstein had a lot of "Conjecture and Assumptions" about the universe, that were not correct, but most people (like 99.9999%) where not smart enough to point them out.
He is just known for when after years and years he finally came out with some right answers.

I do try to understand why someone designs an headphone amplifier with all the controls and connections in the front panel and not want others to chnage it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #25,120 of 48,566
The HP200 is actually more neutral than the closed HP100, which is slightly v-shaped. Both are great choices, just depends on whether the buyer wants open or closed.

Oh, weird, I thought you said they were warmer.  Oh well, I agree that there's a slight sub-bass hump on the HP100's, but compared to anything else I've ever heard (not a ton, admittedly), it's very neutral overall.  Now I'm even more curious to hear the HP200 if you say it's even more neutral.

I am quite curious about the Sound Magic headphones. Maybe I will pick up a pair in the future, if I get one it will probably be the HP150. I personally just got a closed-back though that is considered an all-rounder and a good gaming closed-back from what I've read, the Beyerdynamic DT 150, can't wait for it to arrive. Maybe I'll get the HP150 and compare the two.

Yeah the HP150 is supposed to be basically the same as the HP100 but maybe a little more refined.  If nothing else, it's worth it just for the straight cable.  I'm not really familiar with the DT150, so it'll be nice to hear about it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #25,121 of 48,566
Axel just brought this to my attention, and I hope some of you decide to join us on the battlefield. BF4 is having an appreciation week, I believe, and all their digital content is on sale in the PS Store, even Premium (which never happens).

Edit: I think the sale is for PS Plus members only, which most of you probably already are.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #25,122 of 48,566
Axel just brought this to my attention, and I hope some of you decide to join us on the battlefield. BF4 is having an appreciation week, I believe, and all their digital content is on sale in the PS Store, even Premium (which never happens).

Edit: I think the sale is for PS Plus members only, which most of you probably already are.

$7 off isn't great, even though it's 20%.  I've never played a BF game, not sure I'll like it.  Maybe I'll try the demo on the PS3 first.  Any ideas how long the sale is for?

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #25,124 of 48,566
I just got a blue snowflake mic to work with teamspeak so that I could use my IEM with it and I'm impressed with the quality of sound.  Definitely blows the zalman clip on or those cheap desktop mics.  To spend 60 bucks and to allow me to use whatever IEM or headphone I want is what I always wanted.  I never liked any of the gaming headsets as I found that they were lacking in the quality of sound and I wasn't about to blow a lot of money on the top of the line senns or beyer gaming headsets when I have perfectly good IEM and headphones and just needed a mic.  Now I can have it all.  

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #25,125 of 48,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back