Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #23,341 of 48,583
The Fiio D07K is slightly on the bright side, so take that into account. (At least brighter than the E17's optical DAC).

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #23,342 of 48,583
In my defence, I had been drinking :D

I've been hearing that a lot around here lately...

My roommate and I spent most of the day beating Chris & Pierce's co-op campaign in RE:6, despite the reviews we still had a lot of fun! We were just playing through the TV speakers though, there was a scene with a giant invisible snake popping out from different corners and I wished I had my surround going!

I'm going to try filming my surround processor vid before I go to bed... no promise that I'll post it to YouTube or edit it (hopefully won't need to delay it with editing)!

Then maybe I'll have a drink for myself, lol. Water first tho!

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #23,343 of 48,583
I've been hearing that a lot around here lately... I'm going to try filming my surround processor vid before I go to bed... no promise that I'll post it to YouTube or edit it (hopefully won't need to delay it with editing)!

Then maybe I'll have a drink for myself, lol. Water first tho!

I'll be sure to watch it when it's up :)

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #23,345 of 48,583
Asked Sony about MDR-HW700DS passthrough. Hopefully it can output the processed signal via optical. I doubt it though...

There should be a way, damnit. This thing decodes from PCM/DTS-HD/True HD/DTS/AC3 to headphones (2 DSPs for HRTF). 

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #23,347 of 48,583
C0nl,
Should be okay with your plan, the only thing is you won't have virtual surround when PC gaming... But should still have a quite nice setup, better than what most game designers expect
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Evshrug!
beyersmile.png
 Will not be gaming on my pc anyway, just for the music. Btw, is the E17 powerful enough for the DT 770 250 Ohm and Q701, so i might not even need a Schiit Magni? Heard lots of good things about the Magni, I'm probably getting one anyway sometime later on. (For my PC, Fiio E17 as DAC only -> Fiio L7 or so -> Magni? 
L3000.gif
 )

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #23,348 of 48,583
All right everyone I have a question. I am looking for the best wireless headphones/headset that I can get for around $200 that will work for PC/PS3/Xbox360. Why wireless? I like the mobility it affords me, but most of all it's because I have a cat that loves to chew on wires haha. It already cost me a few low end headsets.

From the gaming guide I have narrowed my choices to:
Skullcandy PLYR 1's
Astro A50's (refurbished runs around $200)

Im looking for anyones input on these or really any other wireless setup that might work. I want the best sound quality I can get given the limitations I've provided. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #23,349 of 48,583
All right everyone I have a question. I am looking for the best wireless headphones/headset that I can get for around $200 that will work for PC/PS3/Xbox360. Why wireless? I like the mobility it affords me, but most of all it's because I have a cat that loves to chew on wires haha. It already cost me a few low end headsets.

From the gaming guide I have narrowed my choices to:
Skullcandy PLYR 1's
Astro A50's (refurbished runs around $200)

Im looking for anyones input on these or really any other wireless setup that might work. I want the best sound quality I can get given the limitations I've provided. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

The Plyr is your best bet I believe :wink:

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #23,351 of 48,583
The Fiio D07K is slightly on the bright side, so take that into account. (At least brighter than the E17's optical DAC).

That's fine - turns out the Xonar U3 has a global OS software EQ (something I've been looking for for a long time) - I'll be able to adjust frequency response to my liking 
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #23,352 of 48,583
Owned BF2; MC (loved it), BF: BC, BF:BC2, BF1942, and BF3. Trust me, I know what Battlefield is all about. I also downloaded the PC beta for BF4, same crap as BF3, which I didn't enjoy. Battlefied has been pretty much the same since the first Bad Company. Funny how people whine about CoD, when Battlefield is just the same, but with more vehicles, etc.

Battlefield is too slow paced. Battlefield is very team oriented, which is not what I'm about. It bores me, really. CoD is quick, mindless fun, with nonstop action, no real lulls of action anywhere. It's simple and arcadey, and I love it for that.

I don't hate Battlefield. It's just boring for MY tastes.

All this being said, I haven't played CoD in a week, since I'm going through Tales of Symphonia: DOTNW atm. Tales meets Pokemon, really.

If you want Tales meets Pokemon but NOT bad and annoying (I loved ToS but watching my sister play DOTNW I see everything that people didn't like about that game), play Ni No Kuni.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #23,353 of 48,583
  Just bought a Astro Mixamp for my PS3. Any impressions on using it with some 668Bs?

I'm using a 668B plugged into a DSS 1. I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong (or several things wrong). I know this thread isn't usually used for troubleshooting, but... whatever, I'll ask some questions and give some opinions.

1. Initially, when I set things up as best I could, I got no sound on certain games. I had run optical digital and USB from PS3 to the DSS; I had set the PS3 audio output to optical digital, and I also tried setting "audio multi-output" to both off and on, and I got no sound. Specifically, I got sound on Shadow of the Colossus and Limbo, but no sound on Bioshock Infinite or Puppeteer.
The problem only resolved when I went into the audio output settings and *disabled DTS.* When I told it just to output in Dolby Digital 5.1, AAC, linear PCM, but no DTS, then I got sound in Bioshock Infinite and Puppeteer.

2. This is even stranger. So the DSS has four lights. In the instruction manual, it states that its "Dolby ProLogic" light will be illuminated if the DSS is receiving only a stereo signal. While its "Dolby headphone" light is illuminated if it gets a 5.1 signal.
The weird thing is: I got a 5.1 signal playing Shadow of the Colossus, but *I only got a stereo signal with Bioshock Infinite*. That's really weird as I saw all those youtube vids displaying various types of surround sound processing used in that game. So what's with that?
And yet, even though that light is on, there is still a difference between setting the DSS to "Dolby bypass" (which means leave the sound as stereo without processing) and not activating the bypass. In Bioshock Infinite and all games.

Am I being stupid or missing something? I notice many people recommending two amps (eg Mixamp + E12 or something). Do I need another amp? I don't care about voice chat.

My impression of sound:
..... it looks like I might prefer plain stereo. The surround processing didn't do too much to the sound quality with two exceptions:
a) often "pleasant bass" (such as cello or a gentle timpani beat) was seriously diminished, to the extent that I was only aware of it (without a lot of concentration) in stereo mode, not surround mode. Thumpier bass was unaffected.
b) big difference in treble. The brightness of the Superlux was significantly dampened with the surround processing on. This might appeal to a lot of people. As for me, it depended on my taste at the minute. I thought the treble in stereo sounded very pleasant at certain moments of Shadow, lifting and wide. Other times, particularly in Puppeteer and Infinite, it was pretty screechy in stereo, and surround was helpful there.

There was something else: I felt that stereo can sound... more immersive and surrounding than surround... does anyone else feel this? Obviously surround is more positionally accurate, but in terms of a feeling of immersion, sometimes stereo was doing the trick more for me.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #23,355 of 48,583
I'm using a 668B plugged into a DSS 1. I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong (or several things wrong). I know this thread isn't usually used for troubleshooting, but... whatever, I'll ask some questions and give some opinions.

1. Initially, when I set things up as best I could, I got no sound on certain games. I had run optical digital and USB from PS3 to the DSS; I had set the PS3 audio output to optical digital, and I also tried setting "audio multi-output" to both off and on, and I got no sound. Specifically, I got sound on Shadow of the Colossus and Limbo, but no sound on Bioshock Infinite or Puppeteer.
The problem only resolved when I went into the audio output settings and *disabled DTS.* When I told it just to output in Dolby Digital 5.1, AAC, linear PCM, but no DTS, then I got sound in Bioshock Infinite and Puppeteer.

2. This is even stranger. So the DSS has four lights. In the instruction manual, it states that its "Dolby ProLogic" light will be illuminated if the DSS is receiving only a stereo signal. While its "Dolby headphone" light is illuminated if it gets a 5.1 signal.
The weird thing is: I got a 5.1 signal playing Shadow of the Colossus, but *I only got a stereo signal with Bioshock Infinite*. That's really weird as I saw all those youtube vids displaying various types of surround sound processing used in that game. So what's with that?
And yet, even though that light is on, there is still a difference between setting the DSS to "Dolby bypass" (which means leave the sound as stereo without processing) and not activating the bypass. In Bioshock Infinite and all games.

Am I being stupid or missing something? I notice many people recommending two amps (eg Mixamp + E12 or something). Do I need another amp? I don't care about voice chat.

My impression of sound:
..... it looks like I might prefer plain stereo. The surround processing didn't do too much to the sound quality with two exceptions:
a) often "pleasant bass" (such as cello or a gentle timpani beat) was seriously diminished, to the extent that I was only aware of it (without a lot of concentration) in stereo mode, not surround mode. Thumpier bass was unaffected.
b) big difference in treble. The brightness of the Superlux was significantly dampened with the surround processing on. This might appeal to a lot of people. As for me, it depended on my taste at the minute. I thought the treble in stereo sounded very pleasant at certain moments of Shadow, lifting and wide. Other times, particularly in Puppeteer and Infinite, it was pretty screechy in stereo, and surround was helpful there.

There was something else: I felt that stereo can sound... more immersive and surrounding than surround... does anyone else feel this? Obviously surround is more positionally accurate, but in terms of a feeling of immersion, sometimes stereo was doing the trick more for me.

Well, I think what you described is correct.
I have mine setup through the optical toslink, USB does not allow other than bare stereo on PS4 and no sound at all on PS3.
Some games don't support DTS, others do. Though as long as at least Digital 5.1 is enabled, you should be getting Dolby Headphone at all times.

Try comparing a game that supports DTS and one that does not and see if YOU can tell a difference. If not, then it might just be a display error or something :wink:
I found no difference between just digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.
An external amplifier has no effect on DSP whatsoever.

Immersion... Well, I find the sound in bypass mode meh. So I use DH for games and a better DAC/amp when listening to music via desktop :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back