Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 9, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #22,756 of 48,562

So are you saying the L2 has a n-shaped sound like the HD650? Meaning the mids have the most presence? If so, that's a bummer, for me... 
frown.gif

I need to spend more time with them to be sure, but I do feel that like the HD650 they do an amazing job with the mids. They sound full and well detailed, but they're not very forward compared to the other ranges. I think they have a bit better sparkle up top than the HD650 does, and with a quicker fall off in the bass. The bass boost function on my E12 paired with the crossfeed is one heck of a combo when used with the L2. So with my current listening, I wouldn't say they're n-shaped like the HD650, just that they have excellent mids and a slightly warmer signature. While the sub bass is definitely less than the HD650, I think that the lower mids help make the sound seem warm. Not dark by any means, but nice and comforting after using the HD650 exclusively for a while; the sound is still familiar in a way.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #22,757 of 48,562
Hey guys.
I was wondering, anyone been playing GTA V w/ headphones lately?
I bought the game recently. It's OK, I like it though I've played better,
But I have big issues with the spatial cues... Everything sounds rather flat and inaccurate for some reason... I am having hard times pinpointing things, not really happy with that. The SQ effects are alright.
I am using the headphone settings in the options menu and the unit is processing DH as usual.
I was expecting better, honestly... This is like the worst I've heard so far, as spatial cues go.
Hope it's just some settings.
Wonder if switching to speakers in the settings would help?
Thanks.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #22,758 of 48,562
You never, ever put the Headphones settings in video games when using external processors like Dolby headphone. You have to remember that Dolby Headphone is taking a Dolby Digital signal and converting it. Headphone settings in games are processed STEREO signals which is for when you're not using any type of processing. You will always want to use whatever setting is closest to a 5.1 surround setting (home theater, cinema, etc), as DH is emulating a speaker setup, not a headphone one.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #22,759 of 48,562
You never, ever put the Headphones settings in video games when using external processors like Dolby headphone. You have to remember that Dolby Headphone is taking a Dolby Digital signal and converting it. Headphone settings in games are processed STEREO signals which is for when you're not using any type of processing. You will always want to use whatever setting is closest to a 5.1 surround setting (home theater, cinema, etc), as DH is emulating a speaker setup, not a headphone one.

Yep, switched it to speakers and it is definitely better.
Still probably one of the less accurate games in terms of cues but it is now a proper 3D plane rather than [you guessed it] stereo.
Thanks though! I'll keep that in mind.
I thought the headphone settings took DH in mind.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #22,760 of 48,562
Mad, at the beginning of the post you've said "
This quick guide is for Headphone gaming WITH virtual surround" but most of the headphones you've covered are stereo headphones. Are you using any kind of amp to achieve it or you just using the Dolby Headphone you've said you are using? and which headphones are they if I might ask?​
THanks!​

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #22,761 of 48,562

This quick guide is for Headphone gaming WITH virtual surround" but most of the headphones you've covered are stereo headphones. Are you using any kind of amp to achieve it or you just using the Dolby Headphone you've said you are using? and which headphones are they if I might ask?​
THanks!​

How about reading the rest of the page?

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #22,762 of 48,562
99.9% of headphones reviewed are stereo headphones. I'm using the Mixamp (which is a kind of amp with Dolby Headphone virtual surround).

As for what headphones... that's hard to answer, as if you know, you know I go therough many headphones in my life. Currently I use the Ultrasone HFI-15G for my open can, and the Monster DNA Pro whenever I need to use a mic (I use it with the V-moda Boompro mic).

If you're wondering why i don't have a high end headphone or whatever, it's because I'm still waiting on the Hifiman HE-400i, though that's just a wish.

I'm happy with the Ultrasone, and my DNA Pro for now.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #22,763 of 48,562
Apr 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #22,764 of 48,562
Yep, switched it to speakers and it is definitely better.
Still probably one of the less accurate games in terms of cues but it is now a proper 3D plane rather than [you guessed it] stereo.
Thanks though! I'll keep that in mind.
I thought the headphone settings took DH in mind.

2D sound plane. You hear a circle of sound (like a ring of speakers), but 3D would be a sphere of directions including above and below. Currently not available on consoles.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #22,765 of 48,562

THanks!​

Okay, as much as I sympathize with the newbies on this thread trying to figure things out, this has to be one of the lazier questions I've ever seen.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #22,766 of 48,562
2D sound plane. You hear a circle of sound (like a ring of speakers), but 3D would be a sphere of directions including above and below. Currently not available on consoles.

Yeah, thanks for reminding me 
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #22,767 of 48,562
Can someone tell me what sort of surround sound this  USB SC provides ?

http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-CE-S00022-S1-USB-SoundWave-7-1/dp/B000OOG3N0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397083440&sr=8-1&keywords=siig+7.1+pro

is this Dolby headphone ? or something else ?

here is a photo of the driver software :

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #22,768 of 48,562
Hey guys quick question, my X1's will be arriving tomorrow and I cannot wait! I bought them along with the boom pro mic and an astro mixamp. Will I need to purchase any additional cables or splitters to get everything up and running before they arrive or will all necessary cables be included with the mixamp to get me rolling? Thanks on advance. Really looking forward to these.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #22,769 of 48,562
You should be set, though depending on your seating position, the optical and usb cable may not reach your seating position. I can't remember if the newish Mixamp has lengthy cables. I THINK it does. Well, you'll find out tomorrow.

Currently enjoying both the K612 and K712. Both are easily in my top recommendations for their respective price ranges. Reviews will be coming, so be patient.

K712 = mix between K702 and Annie. Large, holographic-like soundstage, warmer than 70x, less intimate than the Annie, mids slightly pushed back compared to Annie, upper mid hump typical of 70x. I still prefer the Annies due to the extra fullness and intimacy and less prone to fatigue, though the 712's larger soundstage and upper range clarity exceeds the Annie. Owning one would make the other redundant. Both are equally good FWIH, just slightly different with their own sets of strengths and weaknesses.

K612 = incredibly well balanced, not as refined as the 7xx series, but less fatiguing due to no upper mid hump. Reaches lower in the bass than the K712, and less mid bassy compared to 712. Grainy upper range. Amazing at moderate volumes. This is one of the most linear headphones I've heard, and yet retains a lot of harmonic qualities to it, so I find it to be one of the most fun balanced headphones. Definitely would choose it over the Senn 5xx series.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #22,770 of 48,562
Yeah, thanks for reminding me :wink:

Sorry Conq, I didn't read the name of the poster... Thought you were new, and wanted to spread my hope (demand?) for 3D audio actually becoming widely available.

Instead I sounded like a dork.

Spread the word!
About 3D audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back