Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 19, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2,251 of 48,583
My first headset was a Tritton AX PRO. The microphone broke within a week. I returned it and ... here I am a couple years later with a HE-500 headset. haha

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #2,254 of 48,583
Turtle Beach and Razer wireless headsets have been reported to have issues with interference. I am currently using the Mixamp 5.8, but it would be nice not to have that cable tethered to the controller as well. The Warhead gets rid of that cable between the Xbox controller and the headset.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #2,255 of 48,583
hi there. new to the forum. this is my first post. i am from greece (yeah i know...)

well i registered here because of this thread
i aqm a console gamer my self. i have xbox360. but i am also a drummer. so i need to compine both ends.
i am thinking of buying a mixamp(dont know which one) and headphones that will have great positional understanding (i am so angry at people listening to me all the time) but also i need good sounding phones that do not alter the sound. i want to be able to hear what i am supposed to hear. nothing more nothing less. this is vital for me so that when i play drums i listen to what i am supposed to be listening

i have to mention here that i used to own sennheiser xtatic digital headphones
well the mic broke twice, actually i had many many problems with chatting. the positional accuracy was good i think but i had no other experience so...

for a mixamp my ptions are the astro one (i am thinking about the wireless one) or the sennheiser x-tatic control unit. can someone tell me if one is better than the other?
or if i should get something else?
the sennheiser one is cheaper and i can buy it directly in greece which is good, but if astro is much better then i will get it instead

about headphones. i really want to be able to chat. so is there a headphone that is good and has also a microphone? otherwise is there a solution for a microphone i can usewith my xbox?also will i be able to lower or higher the voice chat with both mixamps? ithink i cant with sennheiser control unit cause if i remeber well, the control was on the headphones

also and this is very important, i cant pay more than 200 dollars for the headphones. (250 at most if there is something spectacular but ...)
so if there is some cheap great ones id love to hear from them. cause i was checking some of the headphones mentioned in the first post, and they were in the price range of 900 dollars!!!

thank you so much
ps. i am in page 10, this is one hell of a big thread

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2,256 of 48,583
just get a mixamp 5.8 and a pc360 and be happy :)

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #2,257 of 48,583
thank you for the quick response my frnd
well ok i will get these eadphones and mixamp 99%

some questions
will the mic of the headphones work in xbox?
how can this happen? i just dont understand it? is there another cable that hooksin the xbox controller?
also in general, is there a solution to have a mic attached to headphones with no microphone on them?

my last question, since it is easier to get the sharkoon mixamp instead of the astro one, will i be missing many things? most probably will get the astro one, but i am just asking.thanx

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2,258 of 48,583

Quote:
thank you for the quick response my frnd
well ok i will get these eadphones and mixamp 99%

some questions
will the mic of the headphones work in xbox?
how can this happen? i just dont understand it? is there another cable that hooksin the xbox controller?
also in general, is there a solution to have a mic attached to headphones with no microphone on them?

my last question, since it is easier to get the sharkoon mixamp instead of the astro one, will i be missing many things? most probably will get the astro one, but i am just asking.thanx

MixAmp 5.8 (and pro i think) has included the needed cables for chat on xbox:

Quote:
**Headset sold separately. Check out our Wireless Systems for the complete package. The MixAmp 5.8™ only accepts a digital TOSlink optical input for game/home theater audio. Game Chat is handled by the included Xbox Live Chat Cable for Xbox 360 or the OPTIONAL PS3/PC Chat Cable for PS3 and PC.**

You connect xbox to mixamp using toslink, and mixamp to control using the provided cable.

mixamp allows you to well.. mix voice/channel volumes.

Also pc360 has a volume control if I remember correctly (plz check)

No idea what sharkoon mixamp is... if you can afford it, go for mixamp, if you lack cash, ax720 is good enough :)

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2,259 of 48,583
here is the sharkoon sound control unit
http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/x-tatic-sound-control-unit
what bothers me also is that is says that it has
  1. 2 analogue audio outputs for the X-Tatic headset
  2. 3 analogue 3.5 mm audio outputs (front, rear, center / subwoofer)

so there is no "common line in in it to connect the headphones?

about mixamp, f in order to have chat i need to connect the mixamp with the controllertyhen the mixamp will need to be close to me, right? so that means that there is no point in buying the wireless mixamp corrct?
also if i buy the 360 headphone will the microphone of it work? otherwise if i buy sometthing like this
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-clip-on-microphone-7080
then this will need to be connected to mixamp instead of the controller, and then connect mixamp with controller?
so if i am guessing it well, the voice from the mic has to go first to mixamp and then mixamp sends it to controller? am i right?

sorry if i confused you and thank you very much

ps people are saying that
The Sennheiser PC360 is basically a HD595 with a mic.

so in order to save money, if i buy hd555, do the mod to make it like the 595 and buy an external mic will it also wrok greatly for me? it will save me much money. thank you

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2,260 of 48,583
obazavil is right, the PC360 + MixAmp is probably the best solution. 
**Disclaimer: I am making this recommendation based on reliable opinions shared here, and based on features listed. Have no firsthand experience with that gear.**

The MixAmp acts as a hub. It handles the game audio, and the chat audio.

Game audio originates from the 360 itself, so you connect the 360 straight into a MixAmp. The game audio is usually processed by the 360, but you can connect it to the MixAmp with an optical cable to let the MixAmp handle that processing--this is the only way a MixAmp can simulate surround sound.
Game audio: Xbox 360 console > Optical cable > MixAmp

Chat audio is sent wirelessly from the 360 to the controller, and then output from the bottom of the controller--that's where a chat-only headset connects. Again, connect the controller to the MixAmp, which will allow the MixAmp to send and receive chat audio for you.
Chat audio: 360 controller > Cable (provided by Astro, I think) > MixAmp

Finally, plug the Sennheiser into the MixAmp. The Sennheiser has 2 jacks (http://www.back2gaming.com/reviews/sennheiser-pc360-g4me-headset-review/), and the MixAmp has 2 ports for these. One's for the mic, the other's for the headphones.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,261 of 48,583

Quote:
obazavil is right, the PC360 + MixAmp is probably the best solution. 
**Disclaimer: I am making this recommendation based on reliable opinions shared here, and based on features listed. Have no firsthand experience with that gear.**

Well...I do have mixamp, but i don't have PC360. As stated, MLE recommends it and I trust him in this matter, since he had the DT990 and K702 that I do have, and is a PAIN to need to connect an external amp (Fiio E9) to get the most of my cans.

So, yeah... I posted the pc360 based on comments here.

You can find PC360 at ebay with razordogdeals at $200.

Just buy tha tand forget the dealextreme mic. After a month or 2 you will be tired of having to plug the mic all the time...

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #2,262 of 48,583
thanx for the answers
some more questions
the 2 jacks that pc360 has, are one left and one right, or 1 for phones and one for mic?
thats what got me confused. if it is the first, then i need some converter cable that makes the 2 cables in one? and no cable for mic? is that possible?how? (yes i am stupid)if it is the second scenario i understand. so if you say pc360 works fine ill get it instead.some
thing else. is there a possibility for me to remove batteries from astrmixamp and have the mixamp permanently hooked in either my pc or in the wall socker with a usb charger, so that it permanently has power and i dont have to recharge it every 10 hours?

and last question. the headphones and the charger usb cable do i have to connect them to the rf receiver of mixamp, or to the actual mixamp that connects to the xbox
thank you very much.
it seems that i will spend for both mixamp headphones more than 300 euros in greece to get them...but ok,i will have to do it...
thank you

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #2,264 of 48,583
in this thread
http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=7924.0
i can see all the ports of astro mixamp. so since pc360 has 2 jacks one audio one mic, i hook up the audio to mixamp and also connect controller to mixamp.
so where amsupposed to hook up the mick jack from the headset? thats what nfuses me. do i need some sort of cable that makes the 2 jacks o headphones to one jack and hook it in audio jack of mixamp? or what? and if this is the case, any 2to 1 conversion cable will do? or it has to be specific?
i am simply asking this as it is too much money i spend. i have to be sure. thank you

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #2,265 of 48,583
Ok, for the umpteenth time on this forum (and possibly this thread): if you have questions about the MixAmp, have you tried looking at Astro's website? There's manuals and diagrams, and a FAQ section there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back