Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 3, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #22,606 of 48,562
Yo gents,

I've been using Evshrugs Mix-AMp 5.8 for a day now and I like it. The surround processing is batter than that of my NAD, and is quite three dimensional. I was playing Ground Zeros and head enemies driving up behind me in a jeep... behind me.. I was taken aback by that. It does have this binaural presentation to it. 

Though I had to purchase an adapter to use my mic with it as the mic input on the Astro is for a 2.5mm headset. Though my 360's headset now works on my PS4..

I might keep it..... *runs away screaming SNAAAAKE!!!*

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #22,607 of 48,562
  Yo gents,

I've been using Evshrugs Mix-AMp 5.8 for a day now and I like it. The surround processing is batter than that of my NAD, and is quite three dimensional. I was playing Ground Zeros and head enemies driving up behind me in a jeep... behind me.. I was taken aback by that. It does have this binaural presentation to it. 

Though I had to purchase an adapter to use my mic with it as the mic input on the Astro is for a 2.5mm headset. Though my 360's headset now works on my PS4..

I might keep it..... *runs away screaming SNAAAAKE!!!*

Meet me on the battlefield!!!

^Going to be using this setup for a while since I'll be sending off my K612 and E12, soon...

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #22,608 of 48,562
Never thought I'd ever see Zombie praising Dolby Headphone. THE WORLD IS ENDING.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #22,609 of 48,562
I just wanted to throw this out there... people are sleeping on the M500...

Really wish I didn't have to sell it. I'm packing it up so I won't be tempted to listen to it, anymore...

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #22,610 of 48,562
  I just wanted to throw this out there... people are sleeping on the M500...

Really wish I didn't have to sell it. I'm packing it up so I won't be tempted to listen to it, anymore...

I've heard that the M500 is like a portable, more efficient Mad Dog. Any truth behind this?

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #22,611 of 48,562
I've heard that the M500 is like a portable, more efficient Mad Dog. Any truth behind this?

I say that's fairly accurate if they're talking about the 3.2.

I have to say it extends a bit further in the lower frequencies, though... with slightly more coloration. Mids are nice and slightly forward like the MDs. Highs are as smooth as butter without being recessed... while still maintaining good clarity and instrument separation. And, oh, soundstage is the largest I've heard out of an on-ear, though I've only previously owned the M80 and Amperior in that regard.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #22,612 of 48,562
Okay, we just wasted a whole hour trying to get chat to work on the PS4 for Zombie through the 5.8 with just the BoomPro. Not working...

It seems the PS3 usb chat cable is faulty... because chat isn't working on his PS3, either.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #22,614 of 48,562
Yo gents,

I've been using Evshrugs Mixamp 5.8 for a day now and I like it. The surround processing is better than that of my NAD, and is quite three dimensional. I was playing Ground Zeros and heard enemies driving up behind me in a jeep... behind me.. I was taken aback by that. It does have this binaural presentation to it.

Hearing it "in the flesh" is different from samples, which is why I wanted you to be able to at least hear it since you weren't liking DH before. I don't know why your NAD doesn't do it as well as a Mixamp...

I might keep it......
:ph34r:
*runs away screaming SNAAAAKE!!!*

You bought a thingie for it?
The headphone jack is actually a smartphone TRRS jack. I had an adapter I forgot to send along with it that I bought separately, but if you have a BoomPro, that would fit right in there no problem. I currently have only the PS4 bundled mic thing (my Neewer mics became lost).

When you say 2.5mm output, the Mixamp directions label that jack as the connection for the chat port on an Xbox 360 controller, that's why that 2.5mm Male to Male cable is in there... I didn't think it would serve as a Playstation output too! Crazy, but... I guess it could work.

Never thought I'd ever see Zombie praising Dolby Headphone. THE WORLD IS ENDING.

I like Dolby Headphone too.
Why do these snowballs taste like chat and ash and the souls of the damned? Crunchy.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #22,615 of 48,562
Apr 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #22,617 of 48,562
Hello,

thank you for your extremely comprehensive guide, and thanks for continuously updating it!

I'd like to get some headphones for purposes of gaming with PS3 and PS4 (I'm glad you're a console gamer... pretty much all advice on the web is given for PC gamers). I've been a musician all my life and I go to orchestral concerts quite a bit, and so I really appreciate the music in games. This is the main thing I'd like to appreciate in games: the ingame music (particularly orchestral). Apart from game music, I also really like horror games so I'd like to be very immersed and frightened while using my headphones. I don't really care about footsteps or competitive play, and don't really go for too much bass, but I guess occasionally I'd like to appreciate explosions and stuff like that. So order of my concerns are:
1. in game orchestral music. 2. immersion for terror in horror games. 3. directional audio for the purpose of immersion (not for super accurate competitive play)... eg the Bioshock Infinite video you posted, 4. sometimes, some bass.

What do you suggest? I don't want to spend too much, so I was mainly looking at:
Sennheiser 598
Samson SR850/Superlux HD668b
Skullcandy PLYR 1 (wireless is nice...)
Playstation Gold Wireless (it's probably inferior to Skullcandy, but do you think the developer-created audio modes will add much? They could be awesome...)
Possible Astro Mixamp?

Questions: 1. do you have any recommendations for my music taste? I guess it means treble and mids are more important to me than to the average person, and bass less important. I like strings most of all, so it's very important that the trebles of string music don't sound catlike (since strings are being used more and more in games too). In particular I love cello. Best sort of bass in the universe.
2. Since the above headphones are 50 ohm, 32 ohm, 56 ohm if I recall, do I need an amp? I saw a video on Tek Syndicate indicating that most devices, even mobile, can power headphones under 80 ohms just fine.

Cheers and thanks for any advice.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #22,618 of 48,562
I want something comfortable for my cal replacement !!! There must be a comfy well built not terrible headphone for around 100 bucks ***. I want to immerse myself and how to do that when the headband wants to kill You.

Previous suggestion from 3 pages ago was cal2. It look like a great headphone but sports the same hard headband so big no

and now i want a fan too :lol:

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #22,619 of 48,562
I want something conformed for my cal replacement !!! There must be a comfy well built not terrible heasphone for around 100 bucks ***. I want to immerse myself and how to do that when the headband wants to kill You.

Previous duggestion from 3 pages ago was cal2. It look like a great headphone but sports the same hard headband so big no

and now i want a fan too :lol:

I'll be your fan. HiCZoK is awesome!!!

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #22,620 of 48,562
  Hello,

thank you for your extremely comprehensive guide, and thanks for continuously updating it!

I'd like to get some headphones for purposes of gaming with PS3 and PS4 (I'm glad you're a console gamer... pretty much all advice on the web is given for PC gamers). I've been a musician all my life and I go to orchestral concerts quite a bit, and so I really appreciate the music in games. This is the main thing I'd like to appreciate in games: the ingame music (particularly orchestral). Apart from game music, I also really like horror games so I'd like to be very immersed and frightened while using my headphones. I don't really care about footsteps or competitive play, and don't really go for too much bass, but I guess occasionally I'd like to appreciate explosions and stuff like that. So order of my concerns are:
1. in game orchestral music. 2. immersion for terror in horror games. 3. directional audio for the purpose of immersion (not for super accurate competitive play)... eg the Bioshock Infinite video you posted, 4. sometimes, some bass.

What do you suggest? I don't want to spend too much, so I was mainly looking at:
Sennheiser 598
Samson SR850/Superlux HD668b
Skullcandy PLYR 1 (wireless is nice...)
Playstation Gold Wireless (it's probably inferior to Skullcandy, but do you think the developer-created audio modes will add much? They could be awesome...)
Possible Astro Mixamp?

Questions: 1. do you have any recommendations for my music taste? I guess it means treble and mids are more important to me than to the average person, and bass less important. I like strings most of all, so it's very important that the trebles of string music don't sound catlike (since strings are being used more and more in games too). In particular I love cello. Best sort of bass in the universe.
2. Since the above headphones are 50 ohm, 32 ohm, 56 ohm if I recall, do I need an amp? I saw a video on Tek Syndicate indicating that most devices, even mobile, can power headphones under 80 ohms just fine.

Cheers and thanks for any advice.

Personally, I'd suggest the Q701.  The soundstage, highs and mids will be great for classical.  The bass is there but it's very refined and out of the way.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to sell you my PLYR1, but I don't know that it's the best bang for the buck unless you really want wireless.  Also, I never once used it to listen to music, just for gaming, so I can't speak to the musicality of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back