Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #22,516 of 48,562
Omg, I'm salivating. I'll sell my left hip for project Christine.

Maybe Facebook will buy the idea and turn all our dreams into nightmares.  <3

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #22,518 of 48,562
Omg, I'm salivating. I'll sell my left hip for project Christine.

Assuming you haven't changed your line of work, I would imagine a hip can be incredibly important to your employment. :p

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I want the project Christine. I love the concept of a modular computer, but the cost of something like this would be so much more than just building a liquid cooled gaming PC and upgrading parts every year. I'd personally save the additional $400-600 or spend that on better parts.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #22,519 of 48,562

No, not even close. He was making a general statement as this kind of thing happens all the time

The part about MLE not being angry or irrational was certainly a reference to yesterday (I'd say frustrated would be more concise, as superficially my question did appear to be a case of not having read the first page when in fact I had).

DoctaCosmos then continues straight on from there talking about how people should read the first page instead of asking questions. This lead me to believe that he may still be under the impression that I had made the mistake of not reading the guide at the beginning, instead asking a question about something already covered.

My post was not written in anger, but simply to explain what had happened. I realise that my post appears defensive but it was not intended to be (hence the lack of exclamation marks or capitals).

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #22,520 of 48,562

Assuming you haven't changed your line of work, I would imagine a hip can be incredibly important to your employment. :p

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I want the project Christine. I love the concept of a modular computer, but the cost of something like this would be so much more than just building a liquid cooled gaming PC and upgrading parts every year. I'd personally save the additional $400-600 or spend that on better parts.

The idea behind Project Christine was to make it subscription-based so that you're spending about the same amount either way.  Like instead of spending $600 to upgrade your computer once a year, you pay $50 per month and get upgrades as they are ready (in your price bracket).

It's an interesting idea.  I think the subscription model was more innovative than the hardware model; they just needed the modular hardware to make the subscription service work.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #22,521 of 48,562
Someone on this forum mentioned that ZMF T50RP have soundstage about the same size as MA900.

I guarantee that is incorrect. If you heard them, you will know that soundstage is a whole different class with open headphones, the sense of distance and realism.

When you guys are putting your headphones through their paces for music use, do you have go to albums? Obviously people will have their own choices but I'd love to hear some examples :)

I think I've just found one of mine (I've heard the album plenty of times but never through headphones).

Which one? I like Andrew Bird's "Armchair Apocrypha" and Wilco's latest album. I also have a bunch of random songs for testing in a playlist I've used for a few years. I also hold CoD4 and Halo:Reach as standards for game soundwhoring.

Hi whats the best 7.1 headset that you have used?

I don't like ones with multiple drivers. Haven't yet heard one that didn't suck.

I am thinking about getting a new monitor for my ps4 probably dell..i have had the monitor i am using for about a year it's a samsung syncmaster 24 inch backlit led ..i want something that doesn't bleach things out!

I'm in the same boat right now. I was thinking of getting a $300 Asus IPS off of Amazon, but then I was in Best Buy and some other IPS model they had on display (not the same one), and I saw what I guess is ghosting... When I simply scrolled the tiles in Win8 start menu, there was an effect on it that looked like the effect in that 90's TV show "Ghost Writer," the tiles had like a slime trail or shadow that trailed behind it as you moved. That would drive me NUTS with an FPS!! Is that a "real" thing that would be common with ALL IPS screens, even one with a 5ms response time? Cuz the color would be great and practical for photography, but 90% of the time I'd be using the screen for gaming!

Eizo Foris FS2333.

Nuff said.

I was using a 24" LED Syncmaster too and this is an awesome IPS gaming display. World's first possibly. 5 years warranty.

I've not heard of this before, tell me more :)

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #22,522 of 48,562
I guarantee that is incorrect. If you heard them, you will know that soundstage is a whole different class with open headphones, the sense of distance and realism.
Which one? I like Andrew Bird's "Armchair Apocrypha" and Wilco's latest album. I also have a bunch of random songs for testing in a playlist I've used for a few years. I also hold CoD4 and Halo:Reach as standards for game soundwhoring.
I don't like ones with multiple drivers. Haven't yet heard one that didn't suck.
I'm in the same boat right now. I was thinking of getting a $300 Asus IPS off of Amazon, but then I was in Best Buy and some other IPS model they had on display (not the same one), and I saw what I guess is ghosting... When I simply scrolled the tiles in Win8 start menu, there was an effect on it that looked like the effect in that 90's TV show "Ghost Writer," the tiles had like a slime trail or shadow that trailed behind it as you moved. That would drive me NUTS with an FPS!! Is that a "real" thing that would be common with ALL IPS screens, even one with a 5ms response time? Cuz the color would be great and practical for photography, but 90% of the time I'd be using the screen for gaming!
I've not heard of this before, tell me more
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I am going to spend a bit more and get the best one I can..might get a 21.9 one but not decided yet, I have my Samsung monitor set on game and it will have to do for now!

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #22,523 of 48,562
Since I PC game mainly, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 16:10 monitor. With a PS4, I would steer towards a 1080p monitor to avoid any conflicts that may occur due to scaling. I'm pretty sure the U2412M doesn't have 1:1 scaling and will stretch the image to fit the screen when the source isn't in a 16:10 compatible resolution. 

The Asus monitor I looked has a 1:1 scaling option. The whole reason I'm looking at new monitors right now is my x1050 monitor from Dell won't play with my PS4, even when I manually set it for 720p.

The XB1 is even bigger, heavier and dorkier looking when worn.

The Wii U looks the easiest on the head.

*Que dorky laughter*
Omg I love you guyz. I tried explaining what we're talking about to my two buddies, and they were like WTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT EV?!?

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #22,525 of 48,562
But... but... but... I thought WE were your buddies. *sniffle*

You are! You're just... not literally in the same house with me at the moment. Tho I just left to pick up pizza... Anchovies and spinach.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #22,526 of 48,562

Ocean Colour scene, Mosely Shoals. It seemed to really bring out the best in my headphones. Theres a wide range of frequencies, it also made good use of the soundstage and there are also a few parts where they pan between ears. Plus I love that album anyway.

Unfortunately a few years ago my CD case was stolen, so my friend made me some copies of the albums I had lost which he had in his collection (grey area, technically I own them, but some... person ran off with them). Unfortunately, I think some of them have been ripped/copied at a lower quality. I want to re-buy the CD's I lost. The last few years I haven't bought many CD's (or movies for that matter) as games had taken priority. I think I'm going to get back into buying more music again, especially since over the last year I've upgraded to an AV receiver and decent speakers. Before that I was using RCA to a cheap 3.5mm female to female adapter which connected to Logitech speakers. I'd have to swap the RCA connectors every time I switched source and it would cut out so I'd have to fiddle about with it to get sound. It was awful!

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #22,527 of 48,562

I personally find the HD6x0 models very comfortable. The oval shaped cups do a great job of hugging behind your ears and hold the headphone in place. From memory, I feel that the A40 has a smaller opening in the pads than the Sennheisers. I can't speak to the X1, as I've not experienced it yet.

Have you tried stretching the headband over some books for several hours? That often helps reduce clamping and improve comfort. I've had to do this with some headphones.

Yes same here, I have the HD 600's and it's incredibly comfortable compared to the A40s. I should have clarified that I was more worried about the height between the headband and the ear cups being too short. I have a huge 24" head. I don't know how I managed to wear the A40s for quite a bit before I stopped, I guess my head just grew... that's what she said (couldn't help myself). I'm about to just say F it and pick up the HE-400, since it might benefit me more with my genre; deep house (other EDM), metal, hip-hop, etc. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #22,528 of 48,562
You are! You're just... not literally in the same house with me at the moment. Tho I just left to pick up pizza... Anchovies and spinach.

Sounds like a tasty pizza to me. I haven't had much pizza in the past 3 months since I'm doing the low-carb thing. But that's going to be put on hold most of this month since I'm traveling around awesome foodie areas: Toronto, Niagara Falls, Chicago, Boston...

Yes same here, I have the HD 600's and it's incredibly comfortable compared to the A40s. I should have clarified that I was more worried about the height between the headband and the ear cups being too short. I don't know how I managed to wear the A40s for quite a bit before I stopped, I guess my head just grew... that's what she said (couldn't help myself). I'm about to just say F it and pick up the HE-400, since it might benefit me more with my genre; deep house (other EDM), metal, hip-hop, etc. 

Make sure you have an amp that can push the HE-400, but I hear they're excellent for EDM. My first HiFiMan will probably be the HE-400i later this year should the bug bite me again (and it usually does). I've heard of comfort issues with the weight of the current HiFiMan lines and that's one of the things they've striven to resolve with the new models.

If you're worried about the distance from headband to cups being too small, check MLEs reviews for comfort notes. His head is a bit larger and he sometimes has to fully extend headphone arms. If he says something is comfortable then you'll generally have a decent amount of room to play.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #22,529 of 48,562

Soooo, you're saying we should be glad we're not in the same house as you at the moment?

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #22,530 of 48,562

Headfi friends may be dorky, but we enjoy what we have. :)

I still enjoy my broken DNA PROS. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back