Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #22,471 of 48,583
The HE90 is only like 15% better (I tested this based on reviews) and the M50 seems to have a close enough frequency graph, that I feel I get most of the detail of what i would get with the the HE90. The HE90 also leaks so much I can't use my clip on mic when using the HE90. Also, it probanly needs a little more out of my Mixamp, so I have to attach an O2 to bring it up to par. Since the O2 is neutral, it doesnt really add much to the tonally boring HE90.The M50 works without any additional amping and has just enough bass emphasis for my preference.

I also like tbe detachable 3.5mm cable on the M50x, so I might be able to use my Boompro. I'm stuck with my DX mic with the HE90, since the cable is proprietary. Ah well...

Its much too cumbersome. I'd take the M50 9 times out of 10.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #22,472 of 48,583
I now have a game plan. PC 360's, Mixamp and if I decide in future I need more power I'll get the EHP-02 (or something similar).

Was going to order the headset and Mixamp tonight, but the Mixamp is currently out of stock.

This will give me the opportunity to learn a little more about amps and what is available should I want to add one down the line.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #22,473 of 48,583
So I just returned the Skullcandy Crusher (dem headaches), and bought something else...

With how good the HS-15 has been to me, especially comfort, I can only imagine the semi-open model will fit me even better. This, alongside my soundbar purchase will keep me more than busy enough in terms of audio for a good long while.

It was only a matter of time. I've been using mine just about every day since '08 and only stopped because I ran the pads down raw. Bought new pads a couple months ago and I couldn't be happier to use them again. Now I have enough spare pads to last me another 15 years lol.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #22,474 of 48,583
I just wanted to add to the topic that was discussed earlier about new people and their questions. This was my first post ever on this site... after 3-4 months of being a "lurker."

Quote:
  Hello, everyone. I have been researching through these forums for the last few months. I created a profile so I can personally thank Mad Lust Envy, chicolom, and Evshrug. After purchasing and returning many setups, I finally found my match... thanks to you. I am new to all of this... so my ears feel like I'm in heaven whenever I game or watch movies. I ended up with this setup...
PS3 > Recon3D > Matrix M-Stage (2012 version) > Q701s (with annie pads). I am now damn near broke... but still... thank you, again!
dt880smile.png

I was once a noob, just as blind as the rest... and can't count how many "duh" moments I've had, since then...

If one can read, however, and are willing to read, the guide is pretty easy to follow and comprehend. It can be done, people, all you have to do is read it...

If you don't take the time to read it... well... don't get your feelings when the following happens:
  1. No one responds
  2. No one responds
  3. No one responds
  4. Someone says "read the guide" in a not so friendly manner
  5. No one responds

Okay... rant over... 
cool.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #22,475 of 48,583
It was only a matter of time. I've been using mine just about every day since '08 and only stopped because I ran the pads down raw. Bought new pads a couple months ago and I couldn't be happier to use them again. Now I have enough spare pads to last me another 15 years lol.

Cal, the pads are glued on, amirite? That's what I'm gathering with the HS-15.

Hmm... I'm wondering if I should try my hand on putting the HS-15's pads on my DNA on Ear. I *think* the dimensions are similar. The DNA On Ear with some HS-15 pads would be HEAVEN if it retained most of it's sound.

I'm convinced that the HS-15's pads are my fave pads out of all pads ever worn....wait... maybe the B&W P3 just may be a smidge better but that headphone is...meh for too much money.

I wonder how Grado comfies compare to the 15's pads.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #22,476 of 48,583
Yeah, there's just a ring of glue under the wax paper. Grado pads are thicker but they do clamp, it's not harsh but def noticeable. I can't really compare the pads on the SR60 that I have because they look like they've gotten a lot of sun.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #22,477 of 48,583
Man, every time I put on my 1540 w/Alpha pads I remember why I'm so crazy about 'em. It is literally my favorite headphone of all time. Going on six months strong... the longest period I've spent with any headphone, thus far...

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #22,478 of 48,583
When you guys are putting your headphones through their paces for music use, do you have go to albums? Obviously people will have their own choices but I'd love to hear some examples :)

I think I've just found one of mine (I've heard the album plenty of times but never through headphones).

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #22,479 of 48,583
Jazz is my go to genre when analyzing headphones... and my go to album is Kind of Blue...

Reggae for when I want to get a better feel of a headphone's lower frequencies... and that go to album is Legend...

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #22,480 of 48,583
  Jazz is my go to genre when analyzing headphones... and my go to album is Kind of Blue...

I can understand why jazz would be a good genre. I actually quite like some jazz but have never actually bought any albums (wasn't really sure where to start, if that makes sense).

The album I have decided is a go to for me is Ocean Colour Scene, Mosley Shoals. It seems to test a lot of different aspects of the headphones. Really brings them to life.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #22,482 of 48,583
Lmao. He's not being irrational or grumpy. Just like he said, people seem to just skip the front page. Or if they don't they skim over it. I've found that people on these forums have the same nature and that is they tend to read, digest and then instead of going back over what they read to fill the gaps, they get lazy and ask questions. I understand some people have bad reading comprehension but just take your time and go back over it. And the best part is that if you're absolutely horrible at reading THERES A NUMBER RATING SYSTEM. There's not much that he can answer that's not on that page.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #22,483 of 48,583
Lmao. He's not being irrational or grumpy. Just like he said, people seem to just skip the front page. Or if they don't they skim over it. I've found that people on these forums have the same nature and that is they tend to read, digest and then instead of going back over what they read to fill the gaps, they get lazy and ask questions. I understand some people have bad reading comprehension but just take your time and go back over it. And the best part is that if you're absolutely horrible at reading THERES A NUMBER RATING SYSTEM. There's not much that he can answer that's not on that page.

I assume this is reference to yesterday. As I have explained, I asked not due to lack of reading comprehension but due to semantics. I wanted to be sure that by Dolby headphone device it was meant that the actual technology used was the trademarked technology "Dolby Headphone" and not a device for "headphones" that just so happens to decode "Dolby".

Yes, I did overlook the amp section of the guide, but other than that the only thing I did wrong was not effectively communicate what I meant. It is also true that on the Astro website it does not say "Dolby Headphone" in the description for the product. In fact I tried to view the PDF for the 2013 Mixamp, but only found one for the older model. It is only in retrospect that I spotted the only real indication that "Dolby Headphone" technology is used is the logo (which is a picture, not writing). That is a case of assuming knowledge on Astro's part.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #22,485 of 48,583
  I now have a game plan. PC 360's, Mixamp and if I decide in future I need more power I'll get the EHP-02 (or something similar).

Was going to order the headset and Mixamp tonight, but the Mixamp is currently out of stock.

This will give me the opportunity to learn a little more about amps and what is available should I want to add one down the line.

You could have a look at the asus xonar essence stx and the phoebus!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back