Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #21,076 of 48,562
  Thoughts on the alienware steam machine?

It should be just like every other Alienware PC - overpriced for what you get.

Alienware even said that it's non-upgradeable, which is kind of the whole point of a PC. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #21,077 of 48,562
HOW DARE YOU, I LOVE MY OVERPRICED ALIENWARE M17X R4 THAT I BOUGHT BECAUSE IT HAS AN HDMI INPUT THAT I ALMOST NEVER USE!

:frowning2:

I could've saved like $700 or more if I had just went with another companie's gaming laptop without the HDMI input.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #21,079 of 48,562
HOW DARE YOU, I LOVE MY OVERPRICED ALIENWARE M17X R4 THAT I BOUGHT BECAUSE IT HAS AN HDMI INPUT THAT I ALMOST NEVER USE!

I could've saved like $700 or more if I had just went with another companie's gaming laptop without the HDMI input.

I will admit that an HDMI INPUT is a cool feature which I wished a whole lot more laptops had.  I think if you payed for the laptop hardware you should be able to use the LCD screen with other sources.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #21,080 of 48,562

frown.gif

Appropriate, I just wrote an article on MSI's newest laptops. But still no HDMI in.

http://thegamefanatics.com/2014/02/19/msis-newest-laptops-will-help-destroy-enemies

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #21,081 of 48,562
Mika, can you repeat that? Not understanding what you're saying.

The D600 is dual entry, so something like the Vmoda boom pro (which works with single 3.5mm inputs on the headphone) won't work. You'll have to go the old route of using a standard external mic like the Antlion mod mic. Any headphone can become a headset, but you'll have to contend with another wire going from your headphone to your source.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #21,082 of 48,562
Hi there,

First of all, thank you Mad Lust for putting this thread together. So much information condensed into this thread, it really helps people like me who are just starting to explore different headphones, especially for console gaming. I just had a few questions I was hoping you or anyone else could answer.

Before reading through your reviews, I was interested in purchasing the Sennheiser HD 598, but now it seems like the MA900 may be the better option. I personally, haven't tried any of these headphones, so I cannot comment on sound quality etc, and previously the best gaming headset I've used was the TB Kilo (crap, I know). I've never really had a headset that I truly thought was worth the money. I always thought that the higher end TB/Astro/Tritton models were overpriced, and as such never looked into them.  I purchased the PS4 over the holidays and noticed that the DS4 allowed any 3.5mm headphone, so I started fiddling around with headphones (cheap ones, mind you) and decided to do some research. I realized that many PC gamers were using headphones and a mic, as opposed to a headset and after asking around, most people pointed me to Head-fi.

Personally, I was looking for something that had a good all around performance, that didn't sacrifice too much when it came to competitive play. In an ideal world I would get a pair of cans for competitive play and another for entertainment, but that would break the bank :p. D7000 seemed appealing, but even two headphones would be cheaper, and being a student I have a budget sadly.

From your review the MA900 seems like the best of both worlds. In addition to just the cans, is it worth the investment for a Mixamp or DSS2? If so, which would you recommend? I would personally also like to use the V-MODA BoomPro, I watched your unboxing and that seems more ideal than a modmic, and the audio test seems fine.

I would appreciate any advice, thank you.

Echo

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #21,083 of 48,562
A fine starter (possibly end) would be the Fidelio X1 + Vmoda BoomPro.

I highly doubt that combo will disappoint many, especially first timers.

The reasons why I suggest something like the Mixamp is on the first page. I wholeheartedly recommend getting either that or at LEAST a Creative Recon3D as an alternative.

This is assuming you game on consoles. If you game on PC, I'd say go for something cheap like a Xonar DG (internal), or Xonar U3 (external). Both can be found for like $30 or so.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #21,084 of 48,562
I have updated the guide with the Vmoda Boom pro + it's compatibility list (please help me to update this list).

I've also overhauled the external microphone section with updated entries to all mics, including links, images, and with the DX mic, extra info on alternatives to it (neweer and HDE clip ons sold on Amazon)

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #21,085 of 48,562
  Okay.  I'll give this a try.  

Progress Update:  I actually made it through a song with just the e17 and not the e09k!

Edit:  So Since I have just gone directly out of the e17 I have had no issues.  I think we have found the problem.  A bad e09k.

I guess I will be returning it for a refund unless there is just simply some option/setting I am missing somewhere?

Hi, I think I know your issue.

The problem is that your E17 isn't making proper contact with the E09k. The E17 needs to sit straight up in order for it to make proper contact with the E09k's dock.
This issue can be fixed by removing the bump on the wall of the E09k's dock, and sticking a thicker piece of rubber to hold up the E17.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, watch this video - http://youtu.be/bZck_ZDT0FY?t=6m55s
He has the same issue as you do. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #21,086 of 48,562
Ah yeah, I had the same issue at one point when I had the combo. The E09k is finicky when it comes to the E17. The E9 had less of a problem with the E7, due to it being a little bulkier.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #21,088 of 48,562
  Does V-Moda BoomPro compatible with Sennheiser HD598? Anyone tried?

I don't think it will work because the HD598 has a twist lock mechanism to it's plug/jack.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #21,089 of 48,562
Yeah, I'm not sure standard 2.5mm connectors would simply fit in there... So the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter may not work for the HD598 and BoomPro.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0eK9Uwlr9w#t=26.[/VIDEO]

Razer Kraken Forged? That's one hell of a nice looking headphone. I say headphone because it comes with a detachable 3.5mm cable. Again though, it twists and locks, so not sure the BoomPro would work in this case, though it comes with an inline mic cable.

390g seems a bit heavy, though considering the airplane-grade aluminum, i wouldn't expect it to be featherweight. It looks classy though a bit Beats Pro-ish.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #21,090 of 48,562

I don't think it will work because the HD598 has a twist lock mechanism to it's plug/jack.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yes, it's a bayonet connection compatible to the Ultrasone Signature Series. It twists in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back