Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #21,016 of 48,562
  I personally think that MLE's guide is misleading, and sometimes contradictory, He says for instance that the Q701 is 98% as good as the K701 in the competitive category, yet he gives it a 9.5 score. Also, There is no way in hell you can measure these things like soundstage and recession of mids. it is barely noticable, it isn't like a mathematical computation where things are exact and you can assign definite values to certain variables. Heck, even the Headphone makers themselves can't do that. Moreover, he doesn't say what the source/DAC/AMp he used to test each headphone.

Just my Two cents

How is it misleading?  Because he wrote 9.5 instead of 9.8, or because he even writes a numbered score at all when you can't really quantify a headphone's sound with numbers? 

MLE is obviously aware of how hard-to-drive headphones are affected by underamping, so I could care less about him mentioning source/DAC/AMP used as that's not going to color the review.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #21,017 of 48,562
I'll just go ahead and pull all the numbers from my reviews, and people can just interpret my reviews the way they see fit. Should be fun.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #21,020 of 48,562
Hooray, they did the thing at the place in the olympics.

I ate nachos while watching the thing they did at the place in the Olympics...

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #21,021 of 48,562
It should be common sense that putting 30+ headphones on a ultimate tier list is impossible, when I haven't heard some of these headphones in years.

It's illogical to compare a headphone I've heard recently to a headphone I last heard 3 years ago. Memory is not something I or anyone should trust, especially when it comes sound last heard months to years ago.

I DON'T own all these headphones. Doing ultimate comparisons based off memory is just not something I or anyone shouldn't feel confident about. This is why I tell people that A/B comparisons are incredibly important, like when swapping pads, getting your headphones modded, etc. So much expectation bias, etc. I never trust those who send their headphones in for modding, get them back, and gush about how much better they became.

Unless I had headphone A and B directly on hand, (and at the LEAST, if I no longer have a headphone, it'd be something I had very recently), I would feel like I'm giving false information about how well one headphone compares to another.

I feel, and it will always this way: I will review and score a headphone based off it's own merits. That is final. If you want to know the percentage headphone A is better than headphone B, buy them yourselves. I'd like to think that I give just enough information on a headphone's characteristics, it's pros and cons to see if you'll like them. My scores give you an idea how I feel they perform in the grand scheme of things. Are they good for gaming? Yes/no. Are they fun? yes/no. Are they comfortable? Yes/no. How good? Great, which is better than good. Amazing, which is better than great.

Other reviewers may have an ultimate tier list, but I'd like to believe that it's because they have those headphones on hand. I, do not.

Take that as you will. Not going to change. The only thing that changes is the evolution of how I write reviews. I started this guide to have some personal database. It wasn't going to be a guide on full reviews. It became that down the line, but all I wanted to do in the beginning was add headphones, and a short summary if they're decent or not. You can see this in my older reviews (like the D7000, or AD700). The guide grew it's own legs, and evolved, but there's just some things that are impossible to do, and comparing headphones so in-depth is impossible.

Another thing that needs to be understood, is that some of the entries are incredibly old, and not updated. For example, I said the DT880 was the most balanced headphone I had ever owned. At that point in time, it was. I have since heard better, but again, it doesn't make the DT880 worse. Hence why I say, take the reviews on a per headphone basis, and understand some of the entries are a bit old and don't reflect things I have heard more recently. I do need to update these things eventually, which is my own fault in these regards. I'll have to refrain from saying things like that, since there will always be something better down the line.

I have also added a sort of tier list at the beginning of the guide, to show which headphones I favor for fun, competitive, all rounders. That should be a GOOD place to start, when it comes to what I find worthwhile on this guide.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #21,022 of 48,562
Mad, I say bravo for all the work you've done. Fugg the haters...

And while on that note, let me know when you're ready to review the 1540 however the fugg you want to...

:wink:

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #21,023 of 48,562
MY TOP CHOICES (for quick reference)

Competitive:

K701
Q701
SRH1840
K702 65th Anniversary Edition
MA900
Alpha Dog
HD598
PC360
AD700
SR-407
ESP-950

Fun:

D7000
LCD-2
Fidelio X1
DT990
Mad Dog v.3.2
Pro 900
HE-400
Alpha Dog
MA900
Creative Aurvana Live!
SLYR

All-rounders (for both uses):

D7000
Fidelio X1
LCD-2
Alpha Dog
HE-400
MA-900
SR-407
MrSpeakers Mad Dog v.3.2
DT990
ESP-950
Creative Aurvana Live!

There, personal bias choices. Did you guys miss these? Start there, look at the entry, see if you like what you're reading, and go from there. Is it really worth you getting a micro-percentage boost in SQ for $300 more, because you want THE ULTIMATE BESTEDT HEADPHONZ EVR? I have said, a headphone might be slightly better, but when you hit a certain threshold in performance, choosing one over the other is more based on personal preference, and not because one headphone is gonna catch an audio cue the other won't. If you think this is true... I feel sorry for you. Save yourself the trouble, get an HD800, and play your games in ignorance. Surely, you'll do MUCH better than a guy with an AD700... after all, it's worth $1200 more, and has way better SQ...right?

Or is it that you guys absolutely need me to hand hold you and tell you which of these is right FOR YOU? I do my best to give a description on the sound signature (admittedly better now than years ago). I can only help you so much.

I get so many, so many PMs asking the same crap over and over. The same general apologies ("I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, is the AD700 better than the Q701? It scored higher, so i'm wondering if I should save my money if I want the bestest competitive gaming ever.")

I'm not gonna reply to these messages. I'm just not. I'll go 90% of the way to helping, you decide for yourself if it's worth it to you or not. I'm not you.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #21,024 of 48,562
Mad, I say bravo for all the work you've done. Fugg the haters...

And while on that note, let me know when you're ready to review the 1540 however the fugg you want to...

:wink:

We'll see, lol. I'm in a mess of things at the moment. Still gotta deal with the DNA review, which is going to be sloooooow to come.

I would LOVE to go back and re-do ALL the old reviews in the new style. I was actually contemplating on removing all the old, barren 'reviews' since they're not much a review, but rather just a general list with a short opinion on performance. Very hard to grasp a good idea how the older headphones compare to the newer ones, even if comparing them just by the review.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #21,025 of 48,562
How did I give the DNA On Ear a 7, when I haven't even reviewed it yet? I reviewed the DNA Pro. Two completely different headphones.

I'm using the DNA because I don't have a headset on hand, and the DNA works with the Vmoda BoomPro. My A30s are currently at Astro for fixing or replacing. Again, this is only when I voice chat on CoD with my buddies. I use my MA900 every other time.

And this is why I wish I never went with a scoring system. ONLY a 7? A 7 is GOOD. Good =/= bad. Anything I rate good is good enough to use. If not, I wouldn't have said they're good.

*cough* 

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #21,026 of 48,562
CALPIS, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? :D

Now I'm VERY curious. :frowning2:

To be honest with you guys, I'm at the point where I want to sell the MA900, and re-purchase the Yuin G1A (hopefully without a defective driver).

I find myself using headphones more when laying down, and nothing beats clip ons in that regard. The DNA is also a great laying down headphone, due to the small footprint. The MA900 is too big big to lay down with.

I'm kind of over headphones in general, and don't use my MA900s much either. I have actually been using my hacked PX100-II more than not, and only because it's the only clip on I have atm.

I'm liking the smaller designs now after having experienced the A30s and DNA. Actually interested in the M80s...if they were like 50% cheaper.

If only the B&W P3 sounded good. Man... I loved those, comfort-wise.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #21,028 of 48,562
I see it's a headset. :p

OMGZ, DENON D7000 HEADSET EDITION. I LOVE YOU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back