Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 15, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #20,941 of 48,566
  I just spend some time with my new Creative Sound Blaster ZXR  with the K701 . The sound quality is pretty amazing compared to anything i have heard so far . 

Now for surround sound .....is nothing bad i can say about it .....The positioning audio is pretty amazing with Scout Mode Enable ....The bf4 setting to Headphones/Surround ...

Now the build in mic .....Nothing good i can say for it ....Very bass sounding while skyping and a little muddy and distort sound compared to logitech c120 webcam mic ....

In general I am very pleased from the sound card ...its a very solid product in the market 

Thank you for the info! I'm currently looking into getting a new sound card and don't know which direction to go with it :p
So many options...
(Awesome webcam btw, right? :p)

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #20,942 of 48,566
Sony MDR-1RBT and Logitech UE6000 both have 3.5mm input jacks for detachable cords.  They should work with the BoomPro Mic. 

MLE and others - thanks for all the time and work on this thread.  I love checking in here every day or two.

Ben

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #20,943 of 48,566
  Will you be reviewing the Sony Gold Wireless Headset?

I'm debating whether to pick these up to use with my PS4 and PC, but I'm not sure if the Virtual Surround Sound works with PC or not. I've got a pair of AD700's right now, I've been thinking about picking up a mic and Astro Mixamp for the same purpose, but if the sony's are even remotely close in quality I would much prefer the cleaner wireless setup. Also, is it possible to have the Astro Mixamp hooked up to a PS4 and PC at the same time and get the virtual surround sound from both? Basically I don't want to have to switch wires back and forth.

I'm not MLE, but I currently do have the Gold for review.

Only had them for 2 days but my early impressions are, they dissapoint in wireless mode — as expected. Then again, I know it's a $100 wireless headset that works both in wired and wireless modes, just that it doesn't so good when running off the PS4 or PS3.

The issue is that in wireless mode, there is a lack of dynamics, as if the Gold is running with no energy. Everything is dull, too soft, muddled, and it's just; boring. This was the same reason why the Pulse Elite before was so underwhelming, even when cranked to the maximum volume.

Connect the Gold (or Pulse previously) to an amp or even to the DS4, the entire headset wakes up. Unfortunately you lose funtionality when being wired of course... which brings me to the next issue; the Gold's VSS.

Sony's VSS is very akin to that Dolby's PLIIx. Take a stereo source and upmix it to 7.1, you get soundstage but you get no imaging which means it's almost completely useless.
So unless you are really, really, bothered by cables, I'd say just stick with your AD700 and get a Mixamp.

Alright guys. I have a favor to ask...

Try to find as many headphones with detachable 3.5mm or even 2.5mm cables. Stuff like the Sennheiser Momentum on ear, which has a 2.5mm input (a cheap 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter will ensure the Vmoda BoomPro will work on it).

I just wanna have a list of headphones to use with the BoomPro.

For starters:

Philips Fidelio X1
MrSpeakers Mad Dog (not sure if the newer models use xlr)
Sennheiser Momentum (needs 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter)
Sennheiser Momentum On Ear (same as above)
VMODA M80, M100
Audio Technica M50x (!)
Monster DNA, DNA Pro
Nuforce HP800

I also believe the HD558 and 598 use 2.5mm inputs...

They do, but there's one issue: the HD558 and 598 has a locking mechanism inside their 2.5mm jacks.

Which means, you need to get someone who does the same exact grooves as Sennheiser has done on their stock cable right up at the 2.5mm connector. It's almost proprietary, no idea why Sennheiser thought it was a good idea.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphone/dp/B00FYQ1JRI

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #20,944 of 48,566
I like what I see of these at Innerfidelity.

I tried the professional, and it doesn't really sound like a closed headphone.  It isn't plagued by coloration in the lower midrange like most other closed-backs, and it's well articulated and has extended bass without being emphasized.  I'd think they score quite highly for you on competitive, decently highly on fun, but not too high on comfort.  The biggest problem is their earpads are too small to be considered truly circumaural.  Reminds me of a beats studio in the way their earpads fit-- only deeper earpads.

I think NAD Viso HP50 has a detachable 3.5 cable as well.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #20,945 of 48,566
Speaking of proprietary connectors, I read this on Amazon when looking up the M50x:  "The direct answer from Audio Technica when I asked about using a V-Moda Boom Mic Pro with the headset. "The detachable cable for the new ATH-M50xBL headphones (and all of the new M-Series) are a proprietary locking 2.5mm cable. This means that the V-Mode BoomPro will not work with the new headphones." Hope this helps. "

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #20,947 of 48,566
Change, the SRH1540 has a graph that really does mimic the X1 in closed form. Looks appealing for mild bassheads.

Yea, but much more technically refined (especially with the Alpha pads). It has slowly become my favorite headphone....

... ever... 
eek.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #20,951 of 48,566
No, I didn't. But all people in that 7520's topic that compared those 2 headphones, said that the 7520's are technically superior than the 1540's. I don't know if that's true though...

Not interested... they can make that claim all they want :p

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #20,952 of 48,566
Hey guys,

I need a suggestion for open closed headphones. I have the X1s and MA900s and they are great headphones for FPS, but I need a pair of closed headphones because when I play Gran Turismo 6, I dont get enought bass and the sound from cars sound a bit trebble-ish.

When I play with my physical surround sound (of course it has a subwoofer), SQ with bass, sounds better. Now withe the 2 headphones that I currently own, They were meant to be used more for FPS with better imaging and positial audio. But with racing games, I dont think i need positional audio or a wider soundstage, i guess i need a heaphone with a smaller sounstage but just as good sound quality from the likes of x1s and ma900 but more bass.

What do you guys think?
Im currently using a Recon3D and I dont mind leaving it at 5.1 Virtual surround sound setting.

I was looking at the CALs which are like 70 bucks right now, or maybe some Audio Technica M50x or A700X?
I dont have an amp right now and dont think ill be buying one anytime soon (Blk Friday maybe which is a long way to go)

So let me know guys

Thanks

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #20,953 of 48,566
  Hey guys,

I need a suggestion for open closed headphones. I have the X1s and MA900s and they are great headphones for FPS, but I need a pair of closed headphones because when I play Gran Turismo 6, I dont get enought bass and the sound from cars sound a bit trebble-ish.

When I play with my physical surround sound (of course it has a subwoofer), SQ with bass, sounds better. Now withe the 2 headphones that I currently own, They were meant to be used more for FPS with better imaging and positial audio. But with racing games, I dont think i need positional audio or a wider soundstage, i guess i need a heaphone with a smaller sounstage but just as good sound quality from the likes of x1s and ma900 but more bass.

What do you guys think?
Im currently using a Recon3D and I dont mind leaving it at 5.1 Virtual surround sound setting.

I was looking at the CALs which are like 70 bucks right now, or maybe some Audio Technica M50x or A700X?
I dont have an amp right now and dont think ill be buying one anytime soon (Blk Friday maybe which is a long way to go)

So let me know guys

Thanks

Use your subwoofer with your headphones. Even headphones with sub-bass aren't going to give the chest compression you want with cars.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #20,954 of 48,566
To those of you asking if virtual surround is possible on the new consoles? It's BEEN possible for over a decade; the game developers just don't feel like implementing it! DICE is the only one who even tried with BF3, and that was after the audio travesty that was BF:BC2.

I suspect the same trend will continue on the current generation with console manufacturers only providing stereo mixes for the headphone outputs on the gamepads, maybe offering virtual 7.1 at best like Sony does on their wireless USB headsets.

Why else would they require PS3/PS4 firmware updates to work, going by the listed requirements? I bet it's mixed right on the console CPU, in which case they could do so much better than virtual 7.1 if they'd just set the groundwork for native 3D audio! They probably don't enable it on other USB audio devices to make it a headset selling point, too.

I believe the new consoles have the audio processors only to take the DSP calculation load off of the CPU. The final mix for headphones will likely be subpar at best without the game developer going the extra mile to code a native headphone binaural mixing option.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #20,955 of 48,566
Alright so I just got my Antlion 2.3 Modmic the other day and I really really like it but I'm having some problems and I'm not sure where its stemming from. The problem is I can barely hear other people talking. Only when the game is quite can I hear what people are saying. Turning my Mixamp all the way to voice just turns the game volume down but doesn't actually make the voices louder like it should. Yes I have the volume all the way up on chat adapter before anyone asks.

First of all here is my setup.

Xbox One
DT990 Pro 250ohm
Fiio E17
2010-11 A40 Mixamp
Antlion Mod Mic
Hacked Chat adapter

Like I said I can barely hear people. I'm not sure if its the Mixamp or what. I also have a 2013 Mixamp that I tried out last night and the voices were slightly louder but still quite. It gets to the point where I have to turn the game volume down so low that I can't hear whats going on.

Someone said it was my hacked chat adapter but I used it before with a different mic (zalman clip on) and other peoples voices were really loud. I doubt it would be the Modmic making peoples voices quite would it?

To quote this so people know where I'm coming from. If I have NO chat adapter plugged into the controller voices in the game coming through my headset are very loud and clear.

Does this mean the low chat volume is directly attributed to the chat adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

• wmf
Back