Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 23, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #20,342 of 48,568
Yeah, Sony needs more open headphones. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #20,346 of 48,568
Thanks, I'll use that if the email doesn't work!

Huge thanks for posting that. Had to email a few times but once I put that pic in it went right on threw. Funny was in such a rush that morning I forgot to button more the top few buttons on my shirt. Sat down for the morning meeting and my shirt practically fell off. Good laugh for everyone so day was off to a light hearted start.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #20,347 of 48,568
Wow... Just saw the Amazon deal. $150 for the X1, deal of the day or not... just for that few hours, the X1 just propelled to be the BEST.EVER.HEADPHONE for the price-performance bracket. I don't think there is in history in the last 10 years where a headphone would sound so good for $150. Those who got it at that price, congratulations.

On a side note, I got another X1 back in December 2013 before Christsmas. Have till 31st of Jan to return it, think it would work if I ask for a refund? 
gs1000.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #20,348 of 48,568
Wow... Just saw the Amazon deal. $150 for the X1, deal of the day or not... just for that few hours, the X1 just propelled to be the BEST.EVER.HEADPHONE for the price-performance bracket. I don't think there is in history in the last 10 years where a headphone would sound so good for $150. Those who got it at that price, congratulations.

On a side note, I got another X1 back in December 2013 before Christsmas. Have till 31st of Jan to return it, think it would work if I ask for a refund? :gs1000smile:
Doesn't hurt to try. E-mail support and include the picture of the sale's price that I posted a few pages back for proof.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #20,349 of 48,568
Between ad700 and hd598 which has more forward mids and intimate sounding and better for multiplayer overall?
I've had fidelio x1 last week which is a fabulous headphone but due to its extra bass it lack a bit clarity for multi games so i decided to buy a second headphone for multiplayer purpose mainly and use the x1 for film, music and non-competetive games.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #20,350 of 48,568

On a side note, I got another X1 back in December 2013 before Christsmas. Have till 31st of Jan to return it, think it would work if I ask for a refund? 
gs1000.gif

Would be true if it was 150$ but it's actually 250-300$.Right this moment it's 295$.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #20,351 of 48,568

Would be true if it was 150$ but it's actually 250-300$.Right this moment it's 295$.

Everything Benbenkr said was true. 

It was $150, and presented an insane value in headphones at that price.  Deals like that never last very long though, and you're a day late and $100-150 dollars short.
wink.gif

Between ad700 and hd598 which has more forward mids and intimate sounding and better for multiplayer overall?
I've had fidelio x1 last week which is a fabulous headphone but due to its extra bass it lack a bit clarity for multi games so i decided to buy a second headphone for multiplayer purpose mainly and use the x1 for film, music and non-competetive games.
Thanks in advance.

HD598 has more forward mids and is more intimate.  AD700 is brighter, lighter sounding, and has a larger soundstage.

They're both excellent for competitive (with AD700 being slightly more so).  The AD700 is a little harder to live with singature-wise, due to the lack of bass and dry bright sound - but if you're only using it for competitive it will be OK.

Another option would be to try to reduce the bass on the X1 with some EQ.  The DSS can also do this a little bit.  This would improve their competitive ability, as their soundstage and detail are more than enough already and the only real problem is the bass can get intrusive. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #20,352 of 48,568
  Hello,

I have gone through almost the whole OP and read the most interesting HPs´ reviews at least twice and came to the conclusion that the Sony MA 900 would be great for me.

But although I read MLE´s review several times I am still confused by the low impedance of the HP ( 15 ohm ).
I have an about ten years old Yamaha RX V 430 and in the manual is written something of

phones output:  0.34V / 560 ohm.

I was already almost buying them, but then I read this on amazon.uk:

By 
M. Thompson "Jukemark"

At times they sounded good, but mostly they sounded boring with no Bass. I am no Bass head, and I would never own Dre's but these are VERY Bass light. I used them with a Meridian Explorer DAC/AMP using lossless music on a MacBook Pro so they had a good chance to shine. But they didn't for me, sent them back.

and there was one comment I absolutely don´t understand, perhaps due to my bad english...

SC says:  

This happened because the Meridian Explorer has a 48 Ohm output impedance. One of the MA900's definining characteristics is their low impedance (15 Ohm) so your source must have at most 2 Ohm output impedance (the "1/8th rule"), otherwise there will be strange (and often unpredictable) results.

Does that mean the Sony MA 900 is absolutely not the right choice for my Yamaha?
Which impedance should an AV receiver have to handle the Sony right?

If that kind of question has been asked several times, I want to apologize for myself, but I have searched in the internet and on this forum for over an hour and haven´t found an clearing answer.
Having said that it would be very kind if anybody could help me.

Does anybody have any advice?

Should I look for some headphones with higher impedance, like the Sennheiser 598?

Or should I take something with much more impedance like the DT 990?

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #20,353 of 48,568
I believe the MA900 has some kind of impedance compensator that makes its low impedance a non-issue in regards to matching with a low ohm source. 

With that said, I can't guarantee what it will sound like off of your AV Receiver.  If your receiver truly does have a 560 ohm output impedance on the HP jack, that is crazy high and you might want to look into getting a dedicated headphone amp instead.  Maybe it's trying to say that it can drive 560 ohm headphones...?

Anyways, pick the headphone that best fits your tastes/preferences, NOT the headphone that best fits your other gear.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #20,354 of 48,568

Everything Benbenkr said was true. 

It was $150, and presented an insane value in headphones at that price.  Deals like that never last very long though, and you're a day late and $100-150 dollars short.
wink.gif

ı know, he said it like if the actual price of the headphone is 150$ so..
HD598 has more forward mids and is more intimate.  AD700 is brighter, lighter sounding, and has a larger soundstage.

They're both excellent for competitive (with AD700 being slightly more so).  The AD700 is a little harder to live with singature-wise, due to the lack of bass and dry bright sound - but if you're only using it for competitive it will be OK.

Another option would be to try to reduce the bass on the X1 with some EQ.  The DSS can also do this a little bit.  This would improve their competitive ability, as their soundstage and detail are more than enough already and the only real problem is the bass can get intrusive. 

Yes, i've tried that and the change turned it to a more bright sounding sig.which is great but i'm really avid when it comes to competetive gaming (cod mainly) hence decided to give a shot to either one of these headphones.If the difference isn't worth the price i'll return it anyway.
Thanks for the answer. :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #20,355 of 48,568
  I know, he said it like if the actual price of the headphone is 150$ so..

He clearly stated that the $150 price was for the daily deal, not the regular price that the headphone goes for.

Wow... Just saw the Amazon deal. $150 for the X1, deal of the day or not... just for that few hours, the X1 just propelled to be the BEST.EVER.HEADPHONE for the price-performance bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back