Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 17, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #20,133 of 48,583
Can anyone tell me why the ma900 are discontinued? I didnt want to spend 200 but i guess ill might as well go ahead and purchase them...

but does that mean, something new is replacing them..does somebody know?

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #20,135 of 48,583
I'd really prefer to not spend $250 on the headphones, can you suggest something a bit cheaper?

Sennheiser HD558, new $128.50, used $110.

Creative Labs Sound blaster Z sound card, $60-$80
Or Asus Xonar DG sound card, $30 ($10 mail in rebate this month).

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #20,136 of 48,583
Sennheiser HD558, new $128.50, used $110.

Creative Labs Sound blaster Z sound card, $60-$80
Or Asus Xonar DG sound card, $30 ($10 mail in rebate this month).

Have you used the HD 558? Also, can you give me any information on why I need the sound card/what benefit I will get from it. I'm still confused on those since some places I read people are really against them and claim they are a waste and others say I need a sound card plus amp.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #20,137 of 48,583
Have you used the HD 558? Also, can you give me any information on why I need the sound card/what benefit I will get from it. I'm still confused on those since some places I read people are really against them and claim they are a waste and others say I need a sound card plus amp.

I've had the HD558s for a few years, they are the oldest headphones I have that I still like to use.
The on-board audio hardware built into a motherboard is dictated by it's low cost, not audio quality.
but in the past few years, on-board audio has been making improvements, so the more the motherboard cost and the more newer it is, the better the on-board audio quality.
So a brand new motherboard, designed late in 2013 and costs $200 (over $150?), is going to come with some fairly decent audio hardware.
Most motherboards seem to use a "line-output" that also pretends to be a headphone amplifier.
Where as the Sound Blaster Z comes with a dedicated headphone jack and a more powerful headphone amplifier (then 95% of the motherboards).

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #20,138 of 48,583
Can anyone tell me why the ma900 are discontinued? I didnt want to spend 200 but i guess ill might as well go ahead and purchase them...

but does that mean, something new is replacing them..does somebody know?

No clue. It took YEARS for the MA900 to come out after the Sony F1 was discontinued, so I wouldn't hold my breath for another headphone of their design so soon.

Headphones get discontinued, such is the fact of life.

If they come out with a newer model of the MA900, you can bet your arse I'll sell something to get one.

An MA900i with better build quality, softer headband, denser pads, removable 3.5mm cable, same general sound signature... I'd be all over it.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #20,139 of 48,583
I don't know, man, I'm thinking I might just downgrade... rather than get something new.I don't game as much as I used to... nor listen to soft music often enough to justify having an alternate $400 headphone just for that purpose.

Still, those new HifiMans tho...

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #20,140 of 48,583
Dude, i TOTALLY feel you. Why do you think I've stuck with the MA900, sold off all my higher end stuff, and went back to the more convenient 5.8 despite it's worse SQ than the regular Mixamp? I hardly ever listen to music, and even now, I use my 5.8 when I watch movies/Pc and stuff. I'm over high end, and elaborate desktop solutions.

Of course, I will always want stuff like the HE-400i, but it's so far from a priority now. I wanna simplify my electronics, not add to them.

If i could, I'd go wireless EVERYTHING. Still considering the Fiio W1 in the future.

I sold the Mixamp pro, bought the A30 bundle, and selling the Mixamp as soon as I get it. That way, I basically just sold my Mixamp and paid for the A30s. I'm tired of the DX mix and the hassles that come with attaching it, so having an Astro A30 as my headset that cost me nothing in the end, seems logical.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #20,141 of 48,583
Sounds good! That's exactly what I'll do. Thanks a lot.

Get the HD558 with your coupon, and buy MLE's mixamp 2011 for $45.

Total = $165

Hey guys. I said earlier I am looking to get new headphones and it has to be from newegg since I have a gift card there. I've narrowed it down to the astro a40s and mixamp for $180, CAL for $75, HD598s for $180 or the HD558s for $120. I'm trying to stay under $200 and a lot of the options recommended are way above that or not available on newegg. Which of these would give me the most fun, immersive gaming?

Might it have been this gentleman that purchased your mixamp?  
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #20,142 of 48,583
Dude, i TOTALLY feel you. Why do you think I've stuck with the MA900, sold off all my higher end stuff, and went back to the more convenient 5.8 despite it's worse SQ than the regular Mixamp? I hardly ever listen to music, and even now, I use my 5.8 when I watch movies/Pc and stuff. I'm over high end, and elaborate desktop solutions.

Oh, I still listen to a lot of music... just with my 1540s at home and SM64 on the go
wink_face.gif
. Those two won't be going anywhere.

I just don't game enough, now, nor listen to classical and jazz enough to own a $400 headphone... when I'll rarely be using it...

I'm thinking maybe the new K702 with some K712 pads in the future. I just emailed razordog to see if he has the bumpless K702 in stock and for how much can he discount them for. If not, I may just take a chance on one of Amazon's used warehouse deals when they drop in price. They have two different listings for the K702... and hopefully one of its used listings will be bumpless.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RCD2DW
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00866APBO

Has there been any reports of them being inferior in sound because of production now being in China for the K702/Q701?
Then again... its a new year so it may be best to wait and see what other companies have up their sleeve for the near future...

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #20,143 of 48,583
Oh, I still listen to a lot of music... just with my 1540s at home and SM64 on the go :wink_face: . Those two won't be going anywhere.

I just don't game enough, now, nor listen to classical and jazz enough to own a $400 headphone... when I'll rarely be using it...

I'm thinking maybe the new K702 with some K712 pads in the future. I just emailed razordog to see if he has the bumpless K702 in stock and for how much can he discount them for. If not, I may just take a chance on one of Amazon's used warehouse deals when they drop in price. They have two different listings for the K702... and hopefully one of its used listings will be bumpless.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RCD2DW
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00866APBO

Has there been any reports of them being inferior in sound because of production now being in China for the K702/Q701?
Then again... its a new year so it may be best to wait and see what other companies have up their sleeve for the near future...

K612 Pros are great, just saying xP

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #20,145 of 48,583
The 2011 Mixamp pro. Though in terms of the least processed sound, the Creative Recond 3D USB. THX Tru Studio is pretty good. I prefer Dolby Headphone, but THX TS is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back