Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 15, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #20,073 of 48,568
Why are you keeping the 5.8 over the 2011 mixamp?

Less cable clutter. I like the wireless freedom. I kind of wanna buy the Fiio W1 to be untethered between my sources and whatever amp I may use next to me (E17 for now).

Lately, I haven't even been using my E17. I've been using the Mixamp 5.8 when using my laptop, since I hook my laptop to my TV and I sit on the bed.

Seriously, if there was a high end wireless headphone that wasn't hissy or had interference issues, I'd have bought it by now. The Senn RS220 looks nice, but I hear it has too many issues.

At least the W1 will essentially be like a cleaner sounding 5.8 without DH and chat. I could always use my regular Mixamp and send the signal to the W1's transmitter via 3.5mm.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #20,074 of 48,568
Less cable clutter. I like the wireless freedom. I kind of wanna buy the Fiio W1 to be untethered between my sources and whatever amp I may use next to me (E17 for now).

Lately, I haven't even been using my E17. I've been using the Mixamp 5.8 when using my laptop, since I hook my laptop to my TV and I sit on the bed.

Seriously, if there was a high end wireless headphone that wasn't hissy or had interference issues, I'd have bought it by now. The Senn RS220 looks nice, but I hear it has too many issues.
I see. I'm wondering if I should have bought the wireless mixamp + a30 over the 2011 mixamp with the a30 headset. I'm guessing the 2011 mixamp has less hiss than the 5.8 wireless as well as more connections. Would I be able to connect both my Xbox One and PS4 to the 2011 mixamp at the same time?

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #20,075 of 48,568
The wireless Mixamp is as hissy as the 2013 Mixamp, so if you value hiss control, the 2011 is the best one to get. The hiss isn't much of an issue to me for gaming anyways. hell, the AX720's decoder is considerably more hissy than either, and I was fine with that too.

The 2011 Mixamp has the most inputs, as you can simply buy an optical to digital coaxial converter, and run two systems digitally, as WELL as an RCA one, so 3 systems at once, RCA not allowing Dolby Digital however. I prefer this method over optical splitters/switchers which have all failed on me.

The 5.8 only has one digital connection. I believe the 2013 only has one digital connection as well.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #20,076 of 48,568
The wireless Mixamp is as hissy as the 2013 Mixamp, so if you value hiss control, the 2011 is the best one to get. The hiss isn't much of an issue to me for gaming anyways. hell, the AX720's decoder is considerably more hissy than either, and I was fine with that too.

The 2011 Mixamp has the most inputs, as you can simply buy an optical to digital coaxial converter, and run two systems digitally, as WELL as an RCA one, so 3 systems at once, RCA not allowing Dolby Digital however. I prefer this method over optical splitters/switchers which have all failed on me.

The 5.8 only has one digital connection. I believe the 2013 only has one digital connection as well.
Can you please recommend me a nice optical to digital coaxial converter on Amazon that will alow me to connect both the PS4 + Xbone to my 2011 mixamp?

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #20,077 of 48,568

What?! 

Now it's only $79??  It was $109 a week ago, and that was a good deal then.  Remember, you're getting a free A30 headset.

Mixamp 5.8 + A30s for $109:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Astro-Gaming-A30-Wireless-System/productID.253782000

Mixamp (2011) + A30s for $79:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Astro-Gaming-A30-Wired-Audio-System/productID.253781900

Some of the best prices I've seen on them ^.

If you're looking at this amazon listing, then NO it's not the same.  The Amazon listing is the newer edition with the EQ and what-not.  The newer version also has more hiss though.

Wow that is really cheap. I might get this for my GF. thanks for the link.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #20,078 of 48,568
Can you please recommend me a nice optical to digital coaxial converter on Amazon that will alow me to connect both the PS4 + Xbone to my 2011 mixamp?

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B000I98ZQY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389765615&sr=1-1&keywords=optical+to+digital+coax

Works like a dream, and I can't tell a diff between the optical and digital coaxial input even with this device. I got mine on Monoprice directly, but it's the same one.

Keep in mind that if BOTH systems are on, the one connected to the optical input gets priority, so you'll have to turn it off to get the digital coax's audio. Same with RCA.

1. optical
2. digital coax
3. RCA

That's the priority on the Mixamp.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #20,081 of 48,568
overpowering one-notyness of the bass? 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #20,082 of 48,568
I mean, that's one of it's downsides, but that wasn't my issue. My issue was that I'm particularly sensitive to the specific region of bass that the X1 (and many other headphones) boost. It gives me a headache. Hell, even the Q701 fatigues me,
even with it's less than bassy sound.

It's not an X1 problem. Its an MLE problem.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #20,083 of 48,568
Thought you might be interested Mad Lust, I just got a review loaner of the AT AG-1!

Absolutely gorgeous looking can. Will try to get a video up of this in the coming weeks, but first impressions as far as sound goes is that this thing sounds like how I remember the A900X sounds. Apparently the 3D wing mechanism on this version has been tightened up a little as well...

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #20,084 of 48,568
I mean, that's one of it's downsides, but that wasn't my issue. My issue was that I'm particularly sensitive to the specific region of bass that the X1 (and many other headphones) boost. It gives me a headache. Hell, even the Q701 fatigues me,
even with it's less than bassy sound.

It's not an X1 problem. Its an MLE problem.
That's too bad.

I wash my face every morning and night. Once I'm done I apply creams and or oil's to moisturize my face. My question is, won't the X1 pads go to hell quickly in my case? Should I be worried?

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #20,085 of 48,568
Does anyone here have any experience with the JDS Labs Cmoybb V2.03?

link - http://www.jdslabs.com/products/1/cmoybb-v2-03-headphone-amplifier/

I was thinking about getting one of these for the X1's. I was talking with a customer service rep and they customize the amp for your specific headphones. So the gain/bass boost/whatever will be tailored for the X1's specs. The guy I talked with had personal experience with the X1 so he knew about them. From what he was saying, they base there customization's off of user feedback, but I also assume it would be off their own usage/testing as well. They apparently had their booth set up next to the Philips booth at Canjam in October.

There is also a rechargeable battery version as well if you wanted it to be more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back