Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #19,621 of 48,562
Great thread, just what i was looking for. MLE, can you tell me if there is any difference between the sony dir800c unit vs the 2013 mixamp? i got an xbox one to go upstairs and didnt want to move my setup with the xbox360, so i bought the mixamp to pair with the xbox one. Im currently using Sony F1's plugged in to either the dir800c or mixamp and came across your thread in search of a new gaming can that might out perform the F1's. my budget is $300. my use is gaming 90%. only other headphone ive ever tried was the ad700 amd hated the comfort. thinking sony ma900, but if theres a better one in my price range im all in. Suggestions? thanks!

Didn't get a reply so I'll ask another way.....currently use sony f1's for gaming, are akgq701's better for sound whoring?

Also, does the Sony DH decoder http://wireless-headphones-review.toptenreviews.com/pioneer-se-dir800c-review.html here do the exact same thing as the mixamp?

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #19,622 of 48,562
What do you guys think of this under a Thanks section on the guide? I feel like I'm missing a bit. Let me know.

Gaming Guide Contributors/Regulars

AxelCloris
chicolom
Change is Good - Shure SRH1840, Schiit Asgard 2 (for review of Alpha Dog and 1840)
Evshrug
NamelessPFG - Victor SU-DH1, Creative Recon 3D USB
PurpleAngel

Contributors

calpis - Ultrasone Pro 2900
HeadAmp - Audeze LCD2, Stax SR407
jazzerdave Koss ESP-950
MattTCG Mad Dog
mrspeakers - Mad Dog, Alpha Dog
ruuku - Guide help
tdockweiler - Q701 (for comparison to K702 Anniversary)

Companies (headphones sent in for review)

Astrogaming - A40, A50
Headamp - LCD2 - SR407
MrSpeakers - Mad Dog, Alpha Dog
Nuforce - HP800
Skullcandy - Slyr, PLYR1

Wow, thank you! Yeah I'm down with that, though it motivates me to contribute something specific... I'll figure it out. Apparently, it must be the Omni :wink:

Didn't get a reply so I'll ask another way.....currently use sony f1's for gaming, are akgq701's better for sound whoring?

Also, does the Sony DH decoder http://wireless-headphones-review.toptenreviews.com/pioneer-se-dir800c-review.html here do the exact same thing as the mixamp?

Maybe you didn't get a reply because you didn't link to the actual product, so anyone like me, on our day off work looking for fun, would have to do some digging to see what you're talking about, AND we don't immediately reply because we haven't heard them ourselves.

That said, I looked it up. The Pioneer that is actually on the page you linked seems really attractive, and it uses Dolby Headphone to create technically high-performance virtual surround. BUT... The Sony is one of those headphones that uses separate drivers clustered in each earpiece. You can't use it's decoder with other headphones (it's a special processor to tell the Sony 5.1 headphone to play this sound on that driver...). Also, multi-driver headphones compromise sound quality and refinement in order to cram those extra drivers (speakers) inside, plus the compromise in amping and DAC hardware limited to what can fit into the wireless headphones themselves, it's easy to make an educated recommendation that the Q701's (which I do have LOTS of experience with) would outperform the Sony F1, especially when you pair it with a decent amp.

EDIT:
Honestly dude, kinda wishing now I hadn't wasted the time looking up the answer to your question... I don't mean to be rude in saying that, but it would've been more respectful of others on your end to link to the right stuff, because basically I had to to the same web research you could've done yourself. But, since I found it, here's the info:

The Sony MDR-F1:
Discontinued, few reviews. Looking at it, the headphone is a stereo unit that looks like the predecessor to the Sony MDR-MA900, not the wireless Sony mentioned in the review round-up in your link. Similar earcups, impedance ratings (and impedance compensator), driver size, and basic technical stats. If it's anything like the MA900, then it's a very good and competent headphone, but I don't know because there are very very few reviews and none by people whom I've got a grasp on their tastes and how they'd stack up to other headphones.

The PIONEER se-dir800c:
Looks like a decent unit, and now I understand why your link went to the wireless Pioneer headphones that come with this decoder. It uses the same Dolby Headphone surround processing as the Mixamp and DSS, discussed at length here, but I don't know how the built-in DAC and Amp compare to the built-in DAC/Amp of the Mixamp. Google search unearths this useful resource for you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/193743/pioneer-se-dir800c-vs-sony-mdr-ds6000/0_30

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #19,623 of 48,562
For anybody attaching a boom mic to headphones, I can highly recommend using 3M dual lock instead of velcro, it provides a stronger attachment and the mic doesn't wobble. I bought a couple of small pieces from ebay cheaply. Big improvement over the velcro I was using.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #19,624 of 48,562
Wow, thank you! Yeah I'm down with that, though it motivates me to contribute something specific... I'll figure it out. Apparently, it must be the Omni :wink:
Maybe you didn't get a reply because you didn't link to the actual product, so anyone like me, on our day off work looking for fun, would have to do some digging to see what you're talking about, AND we don't immediately reply because we haven't heard them ourselves.

That said, I looked it up. The Pioneer that is actually on the page you linked seems really attractive, and it uses Dolby Headphone to create technically high-performance virtual surround. BUT... The Sony is one of those headphones that uses separate drivers clustered in each earpiece. You can't use it's decoder with other headphones (it's a special processor to tell the Sony 5.1 headphone to play this sound on that driver...). Also, multi-driver headphones compromise sound quality and refinement in order to cram those extra drivers (speakers) inside, plus the compromise in amping and DAC hardware limited to what can fit into the wireless headphones themselves, it's easy to make an educated recommendation that the Q701's (which I do have LOTS of experience with) would outperform the Sony F1, especially when you pair it with a decent amp.

EDIT:
Honestly dude, kinda wishing now I hadn't wasted the time looking up the answer to your question... I don't mean to be rude in saying that, but it would've been more respectful of others on your end to link to the right stuff, because basically I had to to the same web research you could've done yourself. But, since I found it, here's the info:

The Sony MDR-F1:
Discontinued, few reviews. Looking at it, the headphone is a stereo unit that looks like the predecessor to the Sony MDR-MA900, not the wireless Sony mentioned in the review round-up in your link. Similar earcups, impedance ratings (and impedance compensator), driver size, and basic technical stats. If it's anything like the MA900, then it's a very good and competent headphone, but I don't know because there are very very few reviews and none by people whom I've got a grasp on their tastes and how they'd stack up to other headphones.

The PIONEER se-dir800c:
Looks like a decent unit, and now I understand why your link went to the wireless Pioneer headphones that come with this decoder. It uses the same Dolby Headphone surround processing as the Mixamp and DSS, discussed at length here, but I don't know how the built-in DAC and Amp compare to the built-in DAC/Amp of the Mixamp. Google search unearths this useful resource for you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/193743/pioneer-se-dir800c-vs-sony-mdr-ds6000/0_30

Wow, it must be really cold in Pittsburgh for that reply. To clarify, I use the DH decoder in the Sony and plug in the Sony MDR-F1's into the base unit instead of using the wireless headphones that come with it. I also have a mixamp 2013 version. I am wondering if anyone knows if the mixamp and the decoder in the sony do the same thing. If they do indeed, would a akgq701 be a superior headphone for gaming than the Sony F1's?
EDIT: apologize for not linking the first time

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #19,626 of 48,562
I really need advice on which headphone/mic or headset to buy that will work on my PS4 and Xbox One. My budget is $250. Can anyone please help?

any headphone will work, it comes down to the product suppling the DH to the headset (like a mixamp) working with ps4/xbox one and how good the headphone itself is.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #19,627 of 48,562
I really need advice on which headphone/mic or headset to buy that will work on my PS4 and Xbox One. My budget is $250. Can anyone please help?

If you already have the device to go between the console and headphones (mixamp/DSS/Recon3D USB/etc) then you have a decent selection available at the $250 price point. What kind of games do you intend to play? Knowing the game type may help us narrow down which could be best. Do you plan to use the headphones for anything other than gaming? Do you want to use an amp or are you looking specifically for headphones that don't require one? Do you like cheeseburgers?

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #19,630 of 48,562
If you already have the device to go between the console and headphones (mixamp/DSS/Recon3D USB/etc) then you have a decent selection available at the $250 price point. What kind of games do you intend to play? Knowing the game type may help us narrow down which could be best. Do you plan to use the headphones for anything other than gaming? Do you want to use an amp or are you looking specifically for headphones that don't require one? Do you like cheeseburgers?
I love cheeseburgers and I need a mic to go along with the headphones. I don't want to wrap a mic around my neck though. I have a DSS and I really don't want to add an amp. A wireless headset would be perfect but the only one that looks interesting to me is the Polk Audio 4Shot. I'm mostly into fps, racing, sports and adventure games.

Forgot to mention that I own the original DSS.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #19,632 of 48,562
I love cheeseburgers and I need a mic to go along with the headphones. I don't want to wrap a mic around my neck though. I have a DSS and I really don't want to add an amp. A wireless headset would be perfect but the only one that looks interesting to me is the Polk Audio 4Shot. I'm mostly into fps, racing, sports and adventure games.

Forgot to mention that I own the original DSS.

If you're looking wireless, I think your best choice is to get a wireless Mixamp and pair it with a pair of headphones or headset. You can find a Mixamp 5.8 for around $80-$150 depending on condition. That could leave you $100-$170 for a headphone and mic combo or headset. If you're thinking you want a wireless headset. This will let you pick out the best headphones for your game genre and get the most out of what you like sound-wise. If you're wanting an all in one system check out the Skullcandy PLYR 1. MLE did a review on the first post and I've seen them as low as $100 before. It does Dolby Headphone and will work with both consoles. Either way you'll be setting aside the DSS unless you're ok using it as your processor; in which case you can get better headphones/mic.

No matter what option you choose you may need an adapter of some sort to get the mic to work with the new generation, but it's still possible. Microsoft has changed their controller connection for mic input. I'm unsure if Sony has done the same with their mic input.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #19,633 of 48,562
If you're looking wireless, I think your best choice is to get a wireless Mixamp and pair it with a pair of headphones or headset. You can find a Mixamp 5.8 for around $80-$150 depending on condition. That could leave you $100-$170 for a headphone and mic combo or headset. If you're thinking you want a wireless headset. This will let you pick out the best headphones for your game genre and get the most out of what you like sound-wise. If you're wanting an all in one system check out the Skullcandy PLYR 1. MLE did a review on the first post and I've seen them as low as $100 before. It does Dolby Headphone and will work with both consoles. Either way you'll be setting aside the DSS unless you're ok using it as your processor; in which case you can get better headphones/mic.

No matter what option you choose you may need an adapter of some sort to get the mic to work with the new generation, but it's still possible. Microsoft has changed their controller connection for mic input. I'm unsure if Sony has done the same with their mic input.
Seems as if I'd be in wire hell if I were to go the headphones + separate mic route.

In regards to the PLYR1, wouldn't the PLYR2 be better?

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #19,634 of 48,562
Seems as if I'd be in wire hell if I were to go the headphones + separate mic route.

In regards to the PLYR1, wouldn't the PLYR2 be better?

You can easily manage cables to have them controlled with a wired setup. And the PLYR1 is the top version. The PLYR2 is $50 less retail. The PLYR1 brings to the table 7.1 processing, optical pass-through, and a charging base/receiver that doubles as a stand.

[edit] Forgot to mention that PLYR2 is stereo.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #19,635 of 48,562

The MDR F1 definitely shares some similarities to the MA900 in sound, but the latter is a bit of an improvement overall.  The F1 is a tad more rolled off in the highs and a tad less detailed overall.  I found the soundstage on the F1 to be a bit overly diffuse and holographic when used with Dolby Headphone.

The Q701 is a more detailed headphone and has sharper and more discrete imaging/positioning when used in Dolby Headphone.  So yes, the Q701s are better for sound whoring.

If all you care about is sound whoring though, the Q701 is overkill, because it won't sound whore any better than an AD700(x) or HD5x8.  It will mainly be more immersive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back