Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #17,911 of 48,583
Guess I'll just use the u3 then. I don't think i can hear much different from coax input 24/192 compared from usb 24/96.
I'm trying not to stretch my 1500usd budget, so any unnecessary items must go.

The Creative Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $100, comes with a way better DAC feature (CS4398) and a more powerful headphone amplifier, then the U3.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #17,912 of 48,583
Nov 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #17,913 of 48,583
Nov 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #17,915 of 48,583
U3 it is...
Anything partially dedicated >>> Realtek XXX :/
That is unusable for HPs... Yuck...
I'll get a cheapo Audio GD/Fiio/X Dac/amp unit down the line... again :p
The PX5 DSS is very good in that aspect for consoles :]

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #17,916 of 48,583
If I build a pc later early next year, are there any point for getting an internal soundcard if I already have the U3? Since for pc surround gaming, U3 is basically more than enough.
Maybe for music benefit, with coaxial/optical output (24/192) from the soundcard, rather just from USB (24/96)

Or... you could consider an AMD graphics card with the TrueAudio processing hardware built-in. Older games you'd probably still want something like the U3 to add 5.1 processing, but once the PS4 hits the scene and (hopefully) TrueAudio takes off, you wouldn't need a discreet sound processor.

TrueAudio probably should/will get it's own thread.

The Creative Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $100, comes with a way better DAC feature (CS4398) and a more powerful headphone amplifier, then the U3.

Just bought a Sound Blaster Z, today on Amazon they're selling the retail model with red EMI shield for $65 shipped!

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #17,917 of 48,583
Thanks for all the reply.
If I want to buy a soundcard, I just want to spend 50usd max. However, if its just benefit to gaming, then I just use the U3. If it also benefit to music, I will consider it.
I already got my own Amp/Dac, Aune X1 mk2.
No to Amd gpu, I got experience with amd notorious driver problem
frown.gif
I will go with GTX 770

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #17,918 of 48,583
Then the little cheapie "U3" or "X-Fi Go! Pro" are really the only options in your budget.
The SoundBlaster Omni looks like a cool external PC option too, also with optical output, but lacks console optical input.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #17,921 of 48,583

If you're gonna bypass the U3's dac and amp, it doesn't matter what is better, since all you're using the U3 for is to add Dolby Headphone to the digital signal. There is no DA conversion or amping in the mix. Pretty sure getting an external optical dac and amp will be much better than that Creative soundcard.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #17,922 of 48,583
  Hey Mad Lust!

First, thanks for the in-depth guide of this topic.
I'm very interested in buying a gaming headset (or w/ souncard) so my googling brought me here. Sad to say the choices of headphones/soundcard here are limited, not to mention my budget.

Anyway, I'm currently eyeing on the Siberia V2 analog + budget sound card (xonar d* series maybe). Is that combination good? Or do you got something else on your mind. My budget would be about less than $130 for a headphone + soundcard combo. I'd be very much happy if you'll help me out on this one.

bump...

Can anyone help me w/ this? Much appreciated :)

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #17,923 of 48,583
I haven't had any experience with the V2 Siberia. It was fairly popular back in the day, so I'm sure it's at least a capable performer for it's price. All I know is that I liked the SLYR for it's price range, if you absolutely need a headset, not a headphone.

You can also just spend $20 or so on a Sportapro, snap off the drivers, and attach it to the cheap Parts Express headband, which equals a KSC35. That is a VERY capable headphone for cheap, and I prefer it over everything else under $100 that I have tried. Look at the KSC35 listing on the guide. There is a video I posted explaining what to do.

Your soundcard I belive has Dolby headphone so you're good there. i believe those Xonar soundcards all have a headphone jack that doubles as an optical out (don't quote me on this) once you set the proper options in the software. Then later on, you can buy a cheap dac with an optical input (Fiio D03k), and a decent amp which will be a better combo than using the soundcard alone, though it's more clutter. I'd personally just save up for a used Fiio E17 or something which is both a dac/amp which you can attach to the Xonar soundcard.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #17,924 of 48,583
I haven't had any experience with the V2 Siberia. It was fairly popular back in the day, so I'm sure it's at least a capable performer for it's price. All I know is that I liked the SLYR for it's price range, if you absolutely need a headset, not a headphone.

You can also just spend $20 or so on a Sportapro, snap off the drivers, and attach it to the cheap Parts Express headband, which equals a KSC35. That is a VERY capable headphone for cheap, and I prefer it over everything else under $100 that I have tried. Look at the KSC35 listing on the guide. There is a video I posted explaining what to do.

Your soundcard I belive has Dolby headphone so you're good there. i believe those Xonar soundcards all have a headphone jack that doubles as an optical out (don't quote me on this) once you set the proper options in the software. Then later on, you can buy a cheap dac with an optical input (Fiio D03k), and a decent amp which will be a better combo than using the soundcard alone, though it's more clutter. I'd personally just save up for a used Fiio E17 or something which is both a dac/amp which you can attach to the Xonar soundcard.

Would have been eyeing on SLYR if it's available here, but it's not :frowning2: ... Even the Senn PC* series are not available.
That would be great but I am not into headsets, I am more into Circumaural headphones (preferably w/ mic in-line to lessen the clutter)

Anyway. Do you have suggestion on which xonar D* series is better to pick? (DG, DS, DX, DGX, etc.)
I am really on to Siberia V2 now cos of the limited choices
Unfortunatley I don't have the luxury to buy headset + soundcard + dac/amp. And that is quite cluttery i must say.

My main purpose for buying this is for the positional audio for gaming (mainly bf3/4), if this will help.

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #17,925 of 48,583

Wait, so would any DAC work?
I mean I tried connecting the PX5 receiver to an external DAC via both the 1/8 jack, or toslink but it wouldn't work...
Is that different with a PC?
I am still a bit confused here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back