Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #16,231 of 48,578
From what I understand, the M-100 isn't designed to be a more neutral response like the M-80, but rather that it has a V-shape to the sound. Not an overly aggressive one like some headphones, but definitely not a neutral response. But that's just how I processed my reading about the set. I'm still looking to listen to them down the road. Over ear is much more comfortable with glasses than on ear.

Definitely looking forward to your thoughts on them. :popcorn:

Yeah, fair bit of v-shaped, but not too much. Doesn't suck out the presence of vocals like the HE400, the bass and treble have a bit of prominence relative to the mids but those mids sound about neutral. I honestly think Mad would enjoy them, kind of like upgraded CAL!s, but obviously still the pleather earpads. I did notice the pads had some holes in them which I assume are for a little venting and shaping the sound, and they aren't as firm as I remember the M-80 pads from my RadioShack demo (the actual drivers in those, sadly, had been trashed).

If I don't have graphic design work tomorrow (and I don't feel utterly lazy), I'll do a write-up on them. Been listening to them for a good while.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #16,232 of 48,578

Looks good from reviews, though I'm skeptical about the hours of listening comfort. People may say the same about M-100, and while those are quite comfy for an hour, I start to feel sore from the headband and earpads after that, and the Q701 are clearly (objectively) more comfortable long-term. Just different design. I notice these Onkyo's have titanium drivers... The drivers themselves have a pretty remarkable resemblance to the also titanium plated Koss KSC 75.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #16,235 of 48,578
Whew, just finished a few missions of PAYDAY 2 with a group of friends. Just like its predecessor, it'll leave you feeling exhausted and relieved after making it out of a heist alive, having survived a whole army's worth of enemies being sent at you as you hold the line.

And of course, I was playing with the MA900 the whole time to assess its gaming prowess. Long story short, it passes with flying colors.

As for everything else, it's pretty much most of what I ask for in a headphone. Comfortable. Lovely midrange for vocals. Decent sense of clarity. Huge soundstage. And it's only $150-155, no expensive amplifier needed!

The treble does seem a bit diluted, but part of that's because I'm coming from a headphone whose entire series is known for its brightness. Besides, it's nothing a little EQ won't fix.

If I needed to provide all of my computers with a headphone...well, it's safe to say that I'd probably just buy a bunch of MA900s in bulk. It's not everyday that a headphone has been THIS ideal for my tastes, and for such a low price, too!

Do I like it better than my SR-Lambda? Probably not, if we're talking pure sound quality, but then I'd be comparing a $150-155 headphone that runs off anything nicely, even portables, to a $300-350 headphone that literally won't work without a specialized amp setup that can easily cost more than the headphones themselves.

Yet I already like it better than the HE-400 and SR-202 due to superior midrange and comfort, both of which are significantly more expensive. Funny how that works...

I suppose the most important thing for me is that I finally have a reasonably affordable all-rounder to recommend to people. I already knew from the outset that recommending Stax of all things for gaming was gross overkill, but I just didn't have much experience with anything else at the time and didn't want to spend the big bucks on the usual AKG, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser models.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #16,236 of 48,578
Well, I'm happy that you're having such a pleasant experience (sure the technical prowess of your choice STAX setup outstrips it, but can you say you're actually having less fun/enjoyment?), but on the other hand I'm dismayed that more and more people I respect are enjoying something I haven't heard... But I'm patient. Part of me wonders how much I'll like it. I'm confident from all yinz testimonies that it is a very good headphone, but how much will I like it?

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #16,237 of 48,578
Quote:
Well, I'm happy that you're having such a pleasant experience (sure the technical prowess of your choice STAX setup outstrips it, but can you say you're actually having less fun/enjoyment?), but on the other hand I'm dismayed that more and more people I respect are enjoying something I haven't heard... But I'm patient. Part of me wonders how much I'll like it. I'm confident from all yinz testimonies that it is a very good headphone, but how much will I like it?

That italicized part has always been my big concern with headphones in general, especially since not everyone's preferences line up with mine. Only a first-hand audition can tell me what I need to know.

I wouldn't say I'm enjoying the MA900 significantly more than the Stax system in spite of technical inferiority so much as I'm just impressed that I'd be this satisfied overall with a mere $150 headphone. Remember, I jumped straight from the AD700 to the "beater" Lambda two years ago, then sampled other expensive stuff like the HE-400 and SR-202, only to find myself disappointed. The only one that really succeeded it was a real SR-Lambda still in stock condition-something that's discontinued and still requires the same sort of special amplification.

Ultimately, the fun/enjoyment any set of headphones can bring lies in the music. Music I don't like won't suddenly become a favorite of mine if played through different headphones.

By the way, as part of my MA900 evaluation, what I might do is lend out the whole SR-Lambda + SRM-T1 setup to anyone I trust enough with such valuable equipment as encouragement for me to stick with the MA900 for a length of time before putting the SR-Lambda back into frontline service.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #16,238 of 48,578
I'm glad first response for the MA900 has been good. There just isn't much of anything to complain about. If you like aggressive headphones, then maybe it won't be amazing for metal, but for medium to slower genres will do just fine off the MA900.

As Nameless said, the treble is most likely going to be what jumps out the least, but its not muted in the sense of it becoming veiled or overly smooth. The MA900 is plenty clear, balanced, and tonally accurate. It is still wonderfully spacious sounding despite the treble not aiding in that last bit of air unlike something like the AD900 and DT990 which has better extension in the upper range with the added cost of ear fatigue.

I'm telling you all, it's to the point where I want to sell off my X1 and call it a day. The non-existent weight and nearly perfect comfort of the MA900, paired with how great they do for most things, just make me wanna keep them as my only headphone. At the end of the day, comfort wins over the extra SQ of something like the X1 or Annies for me.

I don't listen to music nearly THAT much, and I keep wanting to reach for my MA900 for gaming use, which is the vast majority of my headphone use.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #16,239 of 48,578
Hey, what do you think i should buy for 60 % gaming 40 % music
Musics is rap hip hop and house so bassy
Games are fpses
Not super fazed about footsteps and that just want an immersive experience
Can get a sound card later

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #16,242 of 48,578
Quote:
Thankyou
smily_headphones1.gif

Any recommendation for sound card to pair them with?

Creative Sound Blaster Z or ZXR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back