Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 16, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #47,343 of 48,566
Any thoughts on Expanse3D VSS? Wondering if anyone's tried it

No, I haven't even heard about it.

https://unitedplugins.com/Expanse3D/

They have a free trial. Still, I'm not sure the application is set for virtual surround emulation. It seems more for production use, not actual playback. I'll read up on it when I have some time.

@Mad Lust Envy Hey Man, I see that you are using DT Elite velour pads for your HE400. Have you also change the stock cable or want to recommend any good cable for the HE400 ?

Sorry I sold the HE400 quite a while back. At the time, I replaced the stock cable which was all but fraying with some cheap, really short one from Amazon. If I had cared I def would've gone with a Hart Audio Cable, 100%. Great price, the cable is super flexible and soft, and I used them with an interconnect. One for unbalanced amplifiers, and one with 4-pin XLR for my balanced amp.

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections

I currently have two for Audeze, one for the LCD-X, and one for the 2C. @NiGHTS4EVA gave me a 3.5mm dual entry version for my Elex (which was for his Arya, but he's changed to another cable), and I'm considering getting one for my 6XX, as well as one of my MMCX modded PortaPros. I don't need or want anything more than what Hart Audio offers, though in hindsight, I think I should've had them all terminate into 4.4mm pentaconn as the interconnect point instead of mini XLR. Ah well. It would've made them just a bit more felxible in use, though I don't have any 4.4mm devices. Just thinking about a future where Schiit will likely start including it (my assumption). Of course I could just buy a 4.4mm interconnect for these cables. That's the beauty of Hart Audio Cables.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #47,344 of 48,566
No, I haven't even heard about it.

https://unitedplugins.com/Expanse3D/

They have a free trial. Still, I'm not sure the application is set for virtual surround emulation. It seems more for production use, not actual playback. I'll read up on it when I have some time.

Awesome, would love to hear your impressions on it :)

I know it's been mentioned before, but now that more time has passed, what do you think of using tube amps for gaming? I was thinking of using a solid state as a pre-amp into a good tube amp, but wanted to get some people's impressions of tube amps and gaming in general

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #47,345 of 48,566
Awesome, would love to hear your impressions on it :)

I know it's been mentioned before, but now that more time has passed, what do you think of using tube amps for gaming? I was thinking of using a solid state as a pre-amp into a good tube amp, but wanted to get some people's impressions of tube amps and gaming in general
Tube amps are great considering you have a good quality one, check bottlehead crack as a starter and if you can get bottlehead sex you are in a treat for gaming due to its detail retrieval n presentation as well as it's huge and awesome soundstage capabilities.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #47,346 of 48,566
Tube amps are great considering you have a good quality one, check bottlehead crack as a starter and if you can get bottlehead sex you are in a treat for gaming due to its detail retrieval n presentation as well as it's huge and awesome soundstage capabilities.

How's the bass on it?

Me and DIY projects don't mix well lol. Any comparable amps to the Bottleheads that are already pre-made? lol

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #47,347 of 48,566
I just bought the Creative Soundblaster Play 4 for PS5 use and unfortunately it has the low volume issue that many other USB DACs have had. According to a Reddit thread they may be working on a firmware fix for it. It sounds good off of my PC and Android phone though. Not sure if I want to wait for a fix or return it and go for something else.

Oct 19, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #47,348 of 48,566
Anyone seen or heard these yet:

https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/gaming/products/h6pro-open-sebring-gaming-headset-1000934

A bit out of my budget, but it looks really nice. The detachable mic is cool feature.
I ended up buying the H6Pro Open Acoustic. I received it on Friday. I have only played with the H6Pro for about 4 hours, but it is super nice. I'll post some initial impressions, but the TL;DR version is these are a keeper.

Fit:
Super light, and no clamping force adjustment needed.
Pads are cloth covered memory foam. They are comfortable and breathe well. I would have preferred a 2nd pair of pads (velour or similar) at this price though.
Padded leather wrapped headband is nice and comfortable. Not sure if real leather or pleather. Seems like real leather, but I couldn't find definitive info stating such.
After 4 hours of use it still felt great on top of head and around ears.
These do not creak at all when adjusting.
These are advertised as being almost 20% lighter than the wired GSP series headsets.

Operation:
Similar to PC37X, volume wheel is on the right earcup
Flip to mute mic. The mic is detachable (magnetic) and can easily be removed when not needed. There are cover plates included (1 to use and 1 spare) for when you don't have the mic attached. I suppose you could attach a modmic to the cover plate as an alternative, but the included mic seems very good. Compared to the PC37X mic, I did not have to raise the mic sensitivity as much on PS5 for the H6Pro. I do think the modmic wireless is better than either mic though.

Overall build quality seems very good, but it is still mostly plastic. Parts of the headband and the retainer bolts for the earcups appear to be metal. I've had no issue throwing the PC37X into a backpack for travel, but the H6Pro I would not be comfortable doing so without a hard shell case.

Sound:
It sounds great and I've found it to be a subtle upgrade over the PC37X. Pinpointing footsteps and gunshots was very easy in Modern Warfare 2019. Bass is plentiful but not overbearing. I'd say it is very similar in tone to the PC37X, but with added low end. I wish I could offer more about soundstage, imaging, etc. I just know I really like the H6Pro so far. I mostly play FPS and this headset gets high marks.

Attached are some pics because I know y'all love pics. A couple of the pics are next to the PC37X for comparison. You can see the mic boom on the H6Pro is about a half inch shorter than the mic boom on the PC37X. Both mic booms are flexible - you can bend either slightly away from your face so that you're not breathing into the mic.

Another pic shows the mic detached, and another with the cover plate attached in place of the mic. The cover plate is plastic, but has metal pieces embedded in the inserts. It magnetically clips in place once you get it close to the headset. It's also easy to remove when needed. I think it's pretty slick. The mic, cover plate, and earpads are replaceable from EPOS.

My setup is:
PS5 > Astro HDMI-to-optical adapter > Turtle Beach Elite Pro TAC > H6Pro. Since PS5 does the surround processing, the Turtle Beach TAC is set to surround off, bass boost on. It has plenty of power for the H6Pro, PC37X, SHP9500, X2HR, and other easy to drive headphones and headsets. I like the TAC as it has mic boost and a background noise limiter. For chatmix use it has worked well for me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #47,349 of 48,566
@Radio81 - nice write up. I bought a pair also but am sending mine back sadly.

For me personally, they remind me (I think) of how the GSP500 sounded - I'm not a big fan of the extra low end compared to the PC37x which I still prefer for the fps games I play. Also, (and its probably just my hearing) but something in the mids/upper mids just sounds a little artificial or not right on these compared to the PC37x.

Detachable mic is good and I too found the mic a little more sensitive on the PS5. Mic sounded good also and more than good enough for a gaming headset.

These are still good but, for me at least, they offer no reason to spend my money over and above what I have (apart from the fact I like the larger ear cups!).

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #47,350 of 48,566
@Radio81 - nice write up. I bought a pair also but am sending mine back sadly.

For me personally, they remind me (I think) of how the GSP500 sounded - I'm not a big fan of the extra low end compared to the PC37x which I still prefer for the fps games I play. Also, (and its probably just my hearing) but something in the mids/upper mids just sounds a little artificial or not right on these compared to the PC37x.

Detachable mic is good and I too found the mic a little more sensitive on the PS5. Mic sounded good also and more than good enough for a gaming headset.

These are still good but, for me at least, they offer no reason to spend my money over and above what I have (apart from the fact I like the larger ear cups!).

Thanks man. That's too bad they didn't work out for you. I never did try the GSP series, as the headband looked like it would be uncomfortable.

I mentioned for me they are a subtle upgrade over the PC37X in that they add a little bass, a little more comfort, slightly better mic, better cable (console cable), and they don't move around on my head at all. All of those little things add up to being a nice product. It's definitely on the upper end of my budget though.

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #47,351 of 48,566
Thanks man. That's too bad they didn't work out for you. I never did try the GSP series, as the headband looked like it would be uncomfortable.

I mentioned for me they are a subtle upgrade over the PC37X in that they add a little bass, a little more comfort, slightly better mic, better cable (console cable), and they don't move around on my head at all. All of those little things add up to being a nice product. It's definitely on the upper end of my budget though.
I had my eye on the H6 pro open but from what I've been seeing they aren't any better (if not worse) than the PC38X. I want a headset with a mic attached that can compete with my other headphones and I don't think this is it. Hopefully the VZR Model One goes on sale.

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #47,354 of 48,566
I've been thinking about purchasing a Sound BlasterX G6 (or something similar) for use with my PS5 (among others), but as a total audio noob I was hoping someone could give me a simple answer as to how it would work. Would this replace whatever the PS5 is capable of (3D audio, etc...) and if so is it even important? Or does it act as an addition?

And would you all recommend the Sound BlasterX G6 or are there better alternatives? (My only requirement is that it has to work on PS5 and PC.)

Cheers
I use this setup myself. You can turn off all the processing that the G6 does and use PS5’s Tempest Engine for sound instead.

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #47,355 of 48,566
Yeah you can choose whether you want to use the G6's own SBX processing (as long as your TV has an optical out that can send Dolby Digital to the G6), or just disable the processing and use Tempest 3D audio on the PS5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back