Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 19, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #32,161 of 48,562
LAN is dead. We killed it with our high-speed internet connections, always-online consoles and Steam.

And even before that, casual LAN parties were a hassle to organize and set up logistically. They happened, but...

Haha, that was meant to be super/hyper cardioid! Both just a more intense pick up pattern than typical cardioid). Perhaps that could be a solution, although at that point I'd probably rather just have another headset on over my IEM's to simplify everything. And LAN's like MLG mainly!

Super AND hyper! DOUBLE YOUR PLEASURE!! MIC HYPE!
And sure, you could get some closed headset with mic that fits over IEMs, but you're gonna hate the feel, and it would be even more complicated than the DIY method.

I'd love to get into MLG, but I doubt they'd take someone who is 28. Over the hill!

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #32,162 of 48,562
And even before that, casual LAN parties were a hassle to organize and set up logistically. They happened, but...
And sure, you could get some closed headset with mic that fits over IEMs, but you're gonna hate the feel, and it would be even more complicated than the DIY method.

I'd love to get into MLG, but I doubt they'd take someone who is 28. Over the hill!

Casual LAN parties are a pain unless everyone has a laptop, in which case You only need to deal with bazillion power bricks on the floor. 
But god forbid somebody brings a desktop PC. Well, at 28 You could be a COD coach.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #32,163 of 48,562

There are some guys around that age that still play, actually! And yeah, you're probably right about the headset over IEM. I'm curious how decent the mic is on the Etymotic HF2/HF3. I hear it's great quality for an inline, and it is placed nicely next to the mouth, but I question whether it would even come close to drowning out the LAN background noise.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #32,164 of 48,562
Hi!

I'm looking to buy my first pair of good headphones for gaming. I have a pair of Bose AE2, but those are used for commuting. I dont like to game with them mainly because i cant hear myself speak due to the closed style.

For gaming I'm using the turtlebeach earforce X11 headset so I want to upgrade. 

At first I wanted the audio-technica ad700x but was worried abou not being comfortable with them (weird handband). Same thing with the AKG q701 (bumps in headband)...So I was thinking about the AKG K612pro since reviews tend to say it's a comfortable pair of headphones. 

I cant try them out since no music store have them near me.

Will i be satisfied with the AKG K612 pro if I'm mainly gaming on FPS like counter strike? Are they comfortable even if the headband is only leather and isnt padded?

thanks!

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #32,165 of 48,562
  Hi!

I'm looking to buy my first pair of good headphones for gaming. I have a pair of Bose AE2, but those are used for commuting. I dont like to game with them mainly because i cant hear myself speak due to the closed style.

For gaming I'm using the turtlebeach earforce X11 headset so I want to upgrade. 

At first I wanted the audio-technica ad700x but was worried abou not being comfortable with them (weird handband). Same thing with the AKG q701 (bumps in headband)...So I was thinking about the AKG K612pro since reviews tend to say it's a comfortable pair of headphones. 

I cant try them out since no music store have them near me.

Will i be satisfied with the AKG K612 pro if I'm mainly gaming on FPS like counter strike? Are they comfortable even if the headband is only leather and isnt padded?

thanks!

Do you have an amplifier? The AD700x will work fine without an amp, the Q701s and K612s absolutely need one.

If you do have one, you'll probably be happy with the 612s... that said, the Q701 bumps really aren't as horrible as some reviews might make them seem, and they are really easy to trim off if they do bug you. Never worn the 700x, so I can't tell you if that headband is as horrible as people make it seem.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #32,166 of 48,562
I dont have an amp but I was planning on buying one. I read that the Fiio E10k should be enough without being amazing. 

I dont really get the price difference between the k612 and the q701. Here in canada I can get the k612 for arround 220-240$ and the q701 are 320$ and more. I really like the removable cable of the q701 and I love the colors, but I dont think those features justify the additional 100$. I'm I missing on something or the k612 and the q701 are pretty similar soundwise?

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #32,168 of 48,562
I'm I missing on something or the k612 and the q701 are pretty similar soundwise?

I had both, side by side. K612 vs Q701 is the same story as Sennheiser's HD600 vs HD650: they're both just about as technically capable, but the "lower number" model is more neutral and even in the frequency response (for pro monitoring), while the "higher number" ones have a bit more excitement in flavoring the sound. The K612 is also unique for having a higher impedance than the Q701 (120 ohms vs 62 ohms, respectively), and requires more power and a higher volume setting than any other headphone I've used yet to date... But that's still like good listening volume on an iPhone 5S with one or two volume "boxes" to spare.

I find the AKG headbands comfortable, especially the K612, but if it feels hard then I recommend following the advice from the appreciation threads and get a baby's seatbelt cover to wrap over the headband.

A FiiO E10k is viable to use with the K612. I do use the FiiO sometimes, but it sounds a bit better on high gain mode (a little less grain - aka distortion - and a slightly smoother, richer sound, very slight).

I see Mad Envy owned a Fostex TH-900, did he ever comment on it in the gaming headphone thread?

Well, he had it, in fact he loved it, and found it slightly more refined than the TH600, but most of his TH600 comments apply to the TH900. The TH900 was pretty much Mad's ideal sound signature, but he had two great headphones and the TH900 cost more than twice as much as the other. If they're in your budget, great headphones.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #32,169 of 48,562
I had both, side by side. K612 vs Q701 is the same story as Sennheiser's HD600 vs HD650: they're both just about as technically capable, but the "lower number" model is more neutral and even in the frequency response (for pro monitoring), while the "higher number" ones have a bit more excitement in flavoring the sound. The K612 is also unique for having a higher impedance than the Q701 (120 ohms vs 62 ohms, respectively), and requires more power and a higher volume setting than any other headphone I've used yet to date... But that's still like good listening volume on an iPhone 5S with one or two volume "boxes" to spare.

I find the AKG headbands comfortable, especially the K612, but if it feels hard then I recommend following the advice from the appreciation threads and get a baby's seatbelt cover to wrap over the headband.

A FiiO E10k is viable to use with the K612. I do use the FiiO sometimes, but it sounds a bit better on high gain mode (a little less grain - aka distortion - and a slightly smoother, richer sound, very slight).

Thanks for your answer!

I found i good deal for the audio-technica ad700x. I can have them shipped for 160$ CAD and wont need an amp. I think im willing to try and risk them to be uncomfortable....160$ VS 230$CAD for the k612 + 100$ for the amp...so 160$ VS 330$.... i guess for gaming I will be happy with my 160$ ad700x. What do you think?

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #32,170 of 48,562
I'm surprised to hear (puns, yeah!) people had fit issues with the Philips Fidelio X2. I've been wearing it for about four hours now, with no problems. The AKG K7XX might be *a little* more comfortable, but it's close. I have a slightly larger-than-average headfi, so YMMV.

I actually prefer the X2 to my old Sennheiser HD598, which was nice, but its earpads got really warm.

Time to play some Witcher 3!

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #32,171 of 48,562
I have a Rainbow Six beta code for Xbox One I don't need. Anybody wants it?

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #32,173 of 48,562
  Does the V-Moda BoomMic fit on the COP+?

Somebody on the COP impressions thread was using the two together. Alternatively You can buy Beyerdynamic Custom Headset Gear which was designed to fit the COP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back