Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 18, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #40,216 of 48,562
Fanto88, do you still own the the HD558? If so, why the HD559? Why not go with the HD598 or HD599? Or, look at the Massdrop PC37X? It's $119, Basically is a HD598 and has a mic (not removable). If it's only going to be used in the house, the mic shouldn't be an issue. Maybe cheaper and better. Just another option. Maybe I missed something in your post.

May 18, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #40,217 of 48,562
I don't own HD558. For now i only have a Tritton Ax 720. I will change it with an HD559 and i will apply the Foam Mod, so they will be similar to a HD599 if i'm not wrong. I just need to find a good microphone to pair that headphone with.
My two option, for now, are: VBoom Pro Mic and Samson METEOR MIC. Sorry, i'm not english, so it's easy that i messed up something :p

May 18, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #40,220 of 48,562
I don't own HD558. For now i only have a Tritton Ax 720. I will change it with an HD559 and i will apply the Foam Mod, so they will be similar to a HD599 if i'm not wrong. I just need to find a good microphone to pair that headphone with.
My two option, for now, are: VBoom Pro Mic and Samson METEOR MIC. Sorry, i'm not english, so it's easy that i messed up something :p

You are good my man, if I tried to speak Italian, no one would have a clue what I was talking about at all, lol.

As an American, I know nothing of costs for our international friends, and it changes so much country to country it seems. The PC37X here is a really good deal, and one I think many skip over too quickly. Sadly I think it is cheaper for you to do it, as you propose. The PC37X is basically a preassembled version of what you're trying to do. It's based on the 598/599 and they added a mic. I have heard the 2 Senns sound very similar, but I haven't heard both myself. Maybe someone compared them directly and can chime in.

May 18, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #40,221 of 48,562
can't find PC37X anywhere in Italy and Game One Headset are out of price range and aren't the game one and the 559 basically the same? :confused:

Massdrop.com exclusive.

May 18, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #40,222 of 48,562
Thanks man for the suggestion. Yep, the real problem is the difference in price. I saw Philips shp9500 or something like that at about 50$,on Italy that headphone is sold for 120€. The game one is 190€, the hd559 is 90€ and I should be able to find a "good" microphone for around 50€ I hope, so for around 140€ I should be good. I will do the Foam mod for the hd559 to make them sound like a hd599.

May 18, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #40,223 of 48,562
So just got the AD900x for a really good price, bought them blind as it was such a good deal.
Not enjoying them straight out of the box with regard to gaming, especially after all the good reports I’ve heard...anyone here with any experience of these cans after a burn in period?

And on another note - does anyone here run another amp from a creative x7, and if so any thoughts/recommendations?

May 18, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #40,224 of 48,562
Thanks man for the suggestion. Yep, the real problem is the difference in price. I saw Philips shp9500 or something like that at about 50$,on Italy that headphone is sold for 120€. The game one is 190€, the hd559 is 90€ and I should be able to find a "good" microphone for around 50€ I hope, so for around 140€ I should be good. I will do the Foam mod for the hd559 to make them sound like a hd599.

Glad I could help some! That's a really good setup, and with that jacked up pricing, the best deal as well. Your VAT taxes, and import taxes, can be insanely high. Good luck with a good deal on a mic. Have you checked the used section here? Maybe someone in Europe is selling one. Used can save some money.

May 18, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #40,225 of 48,562
I prefer to buy a new one. I just need to understand which one should be good enough for me. I saw that blue snowball ice and Samson meteor are basically on every budget microphone list. Anyone has some suggestion? The price is around 40/50€

May 18, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #40,226 of 48,562
And on another note - does anyone here run another amp from a creative x7, and if so any thoughts/recommendations?

I run the optical into my HDVD800 for my HD800S's
RCA into Stax energizer for my Stax L500's
RCA into the transmitter for my RS185's (Sennheiser wireless)

I wouldn't get another amp though unless you absolutely need it for specific headphones - the X7 is more than capable.
Look into swapping Op/Amps (Sparko or Burson) if you're looking for something more from the unit instead maybe?

May 18, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #40,227 of 48,562
I run the optical into my HDVD800 for my HD800S's
RCA into Stax energizer for my Stax L500's
RCA into the transmitter for my RS185's (Sennheiser wireless)

I wouldn't get another amp though unless you absolutely need it for specific headphones - the X7 is more than capable.
Look into swapping Op/Amps (Sparko or Burson) if you're looking for something more from the unit instead maybe?

I agree completely.

Stock X7 is more than powerful enough for the majority of headphones. You'll improve the X7 more by grabbing Sparkos op amps, and definitely get the full swap. This improves all outputs (headphone, RCA, optical, speakers) because from what I was told from Creative, it effects the DAC as well. I heard a difference and contacted them to find out why. Supposedly an engineer answered (this was a few back and forths).

I also use my LTA MicroZOTL2, which is a tube amp. It's a different sound obviously. I wouldn't bother with a really good SS amp upgrade, unless you already own it, and this will be your main listening rig.

The X7 is really good stock. Sparkos op amps I love to death. I really feel no need to upgrade this setup for music as a SS system at all. I tried a Mimby in the chain for a while, and my MZ2 has 2 inputs. I could switch on the fly, and just listening casually, I couldn't tell a difference. Took the Mimby out, built a 2 channel Schiit system around it (Saga/Vidar).

That's my 2 cents. Before the Sparkos upgrade, honestly, ignorance was bliss. I was super happy. If you're happy, enjoy. You'll always get bigger gains from headphones. Well, until the next great device comes along at a fair price for all.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #40,228 of 48,562
I see a lot of people recommend the HD 700 as the best headphones for gaming. Has anyone had a chance to try the HD 660s yet? If so how do they compare? I was thinking about getting one of those but haven't heard anything about how the 660s sound for gaming. I've been going through a lot of headphones since I found this thread and just can't seem to settle on any. So far the HD 598 sound the best from what I have tried. I recently got the GSP 600 but don't like the closed off sound. Bought the GSP 500 and they seem to sound weaker than the HD 598. I use the GSX 1000 for an amp and the volume sitting at 60 seems to not be enough for the GSP 500 but was fine for the 598. Maybe I don't have it set up right.

May 20, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #40,229 of 48,562
I see a lot of people recommend the HD 700 as the best headphones for gaming. Has anyone had a chance to try the HD 660s yet? If so how do they compare? I was thinking about getting one of those but haven't heard anything about how the 660s sound for gaming. I've been going through a lot of headphones since I found this thread and just can't seem to settle on any. So far the HD 598 sound the best from what I have tried. I recently got the GSP 600 but don't like the closed off sound. Bought the GSP 500 and they seem to sound weaker than the HD 598. I use the GSX 1000 for an amp and the volume sitting at 60 seems to not be enough for the GSP 500 but was fine for the 598. Maybe I don't have it set up right.

Well what do you like about the 598 and what are you trying to improve? Best Headphone for gaming is just as hard as trying to get the best headphone for music. HD700 isn't even close to the best, but it probably is one of the better options in it's price range. It really comes down to what the user is looking to achieve, and finding a headphone in that person's price bracket that gets as close as possible.

May 20, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #40,230 of 48,562
Hd700 is pretty solid for gaming... it’s super duper comfortable. Great sound stage, high level of detail. The problem with it is it’s price. It doesn’t excell over cheaper headphones for its cost. It’s also extremely finicky with music. (Should you also use it for music). For half it’s price or less there are many options on the first page that will hang right with the hd700. Hd660 is not bad for gaming it’s easier to drive than the other 6xx series headphones, has good treble energy but it’s soundstage holds it back from being a great gaming imo.

I’d say both of those are going to struggle if you plan to continue using the GSX 1000. They may give you the volume you are looking for but probably won’t do them justice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back