Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #39,571 of 48,562
Just confirming something: for virtual headphone surround in GTA V, you need to set it to "surround" in game right? There is no option to use windows default (which is set to 5.1 for my Sound Blaster X7). I am used to games just defaulting to whatever Windows tells them, appears GTA does not do that.

In stereo I cannot really hear surround cues, in surround I think I can however. Just tried it tonight, walking around Franklin's house and trying to pinpoint the music. Just confirming this to make sure I am not crazy.

Also just once again want to throw out some more love for AQ Nighthawk imaging. Very very impressive positional accuracy with these puppies...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #39,572 of 48,562
Just confirming something: for virtual headphone surround in GTA V, you need to set it to "surround" in game right? There is no option to use windows default (which is set to 5.1 for my Sound Blaster X7). I am used to games just defaulting to whatever Windows tells them, appears GTA does not do that.

In stereo I cannot really hear surround cues, in surround I think I can however. Just tried it tonight, walking around Franklin's house and trying to pinpoint the music. Just confirming this to make sure I am not crazy.

Also just once again want to throw out some more love for AQ Nighthawk imaging. Very very impressive positional accuracy with these puppies...
Yes, you always need to set the game to surround

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #39,573 of 48,562
Jan 6, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #39,574 of 48,562
Has anyone bought the Zowie Vital? Does it sound alright on XB1? I'm sick and tired of my Creative X7. I can never get the microphone working!
Tbh this is more of a Microsoft's fault than Creative's. Microsoft demands that Xbox one compatible usb audio peripherals include a $35 authentication chip which is why most gaming peripherals aren't compatible with xbox. IIRC only Astro makes a product that can actually be used with an X1 over USB.

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #39,575 of 48,562
So what’s the current status? Akg k701, k702 or k712 for competitive gaming? The update to the k701/702 has me a bit confused. Are the 701’s still king? Are the 701 and 702 the same thing?
K702 should be just detachable cable version of K701.
Recently got couple years old (smooth head band instead of bumpy) second hand K702 and it certainly beats HD595 Sennheiser in competitiveness with that god mode soundstage.
With K712 and Beyer's DT990 fitting pretty much where MLE's guide puts them against each others:
K712 has pretty much same soundstage as K702, fun bass just makes foot steps and such not so obvious/pronounced.

If you're ever going to need mic detachable cable would allow using V-Moda's BoomPro mic with this kind adapter for having single wire cabling instead of separate cables like with ModMic.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #39,576 of 48,562
Anyone have experience with the mayflower arc on PS4? I’ve been using the mixamp pro and have been happy, but the arc has me interested. Just seems like I’d be losing too many features if I switched to it. ( chat mixer, Dolby surround, mp3 input, etc)

Anyone tried the arc as a mixamp replacement that plays competitive multiplayer games?

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #39,577 of 48,562
Anyone have experience with the mayflower arc on PS4? I’ve been using the mixamp pro and have been happy, but the arc has me interested. Just seems like I’d be losing too many features if I switched to it. ( chat mixer, Dolby surround, mp3 input, etc)

Anyone tried the arc as a mixamp replacement that plays competitive multiplayer games?
Doesn't decode dolby digital so it's useless for console gaming

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #39,581 of 48,562
Hi guys, hope this is the place for all questions game related, didn't really see another place to post game related questions.

I game on PS4, and own a AKG 612 Pro, which I have used in the pas for gaming.

Since I have changed my main speakers from using a surround receiver to active speakers, I don't have a receiver anymore. My used my receiver to convert 5.1 to virtual surround, but that is not an option anymore. Added difficulty is the 120 Ohm resistance the AKG has.

So my question is as follows, how would I ideally connect my AKG to my PS4? I can use the headphone jack in the controller, but that is only stereo, prevents me from connecting my mic, and while the amp in it is not super is does its job.

However, I am willing to spend some money on a mixamp kind of solution via USB. I have been completely out of the loop though on these things. I remember the mixamp doesn't have enough power to drive my AKG? Are there any new solutions on this front? Amps with dolby headphones solutions?

I play FortniteBR at the moment. Is dolby surround even needed or would stereo suffice? I do own a Fiio E18 too, which could solve my stereo needs, but I feel I would still be at some disadvantage with pure stereo.

Any insights is welcome :)

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #39,582 of 48,562
Hi guys, hope this is the place for all questions game related, didn't really see another place to post game related questions.

I game on PS4, and own a AKG 612 Pro, which I have used in the pas for gaming.

Since I have changed my main speakers from using a surround receiver to active speakers, I don't have a receiver anymore. My used my receiver to convert 5.1 to virtual surround, but that is not an option anymore. Added difficulty is the 120 Ohm resistance the AKG has.

So my question is as follows, how would I ideally connect my AKG to my PS4? I can use the headphone jack in the controller, but that is only stereo, prevents me from connecting my mic, and while the amp in it is not super is does its job.

However, I am willing to spend some money on a mixamp kind of solution via USB. I have been completely out of the loop though on these things. I remember the mixamp doesn't have enough power to drive my AKG? Are there any new solutions on this front? Amps with dolby headphones solutions?

I play FortniteBR at the moment. Is dolby surround even needed or would stereo suffice? I do own a Fiio E18 too, which could solve my stereo needs, but I feel I would still be at some disadvantage with pure stereo.

Any insights is welcome :)

Mixamp would be the simplest solution if a microphone is mandatory. Sound Blaster X7 would be better quality but getting the mic to work with consoles is more complicated. (Search the forums, lots of posts about it.)

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #39,583 of 48,562
Mixamp would be the simplest solution if a microphone is mandatory. Sound Blaster X7 would be better quality but getting the mic to work with consoles is more complicated. (Search the forums, lots of posts about it.)

Voice on PS4 with the X7 is super simple using the Creative BTW-2 adapter, but Xbox is another story..I just use the xbox app on my PC, and start a party chat through there to not have to use any extra wires. This doesn't allow you to talk to anyone outside your party though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back