Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 14, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #46,876 of 48,562
Hello Guys! Do you think HyperX Orbit S (same as Audeze Mobius) would be an upgrade over Sennheiser HD 598?

I'll use it to play offline games on my PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X only. Online games will be 1% of the time (almost 2 years without playing multiplayer games).

No movies or music, just games.

Thank you!
for the sound quality yes but the comfort of the Orbit S was bad for my head and that's why I returned them.

May 14, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #46,877 of 48,562
Hello audiophiles! I'm trying to find which headphones has the best imaging for locating enemies in games. Comfort doesn't matter, bass doesn't matter, purely 100% locating the enemies in 3D space (imaging not soundstage). I haven't really found an answer for this so maybe it becomes a subjective matter after a certain treshold?

So the headphones I'm looking at are (~200e): AKG K702, K712, DT990, HD599. First page of this thread seems to give the competitive edge to K702, but then again I'm reading conflicting reports for DT990 having the better imaging even tho it's soundstage is not as wide..

May 14, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #46,878 of 48,562
Hello all, hope everyone is doing well. I'm looking for some advice and headphone recommendations for gaming. I've been using DT 770 pro 250 ohm headphones with a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber, but sadly the headphones have snapped after the plastic wore away after slowly being stretched onto my massive head for years. I'm excited to try something new to be honest though. My main use for headphones will be for competitive gaming, any recommendations? Budget is around £250/$350. I've read through Shin's amazing gaming guide but there's so many choices and I'm not sure which would pair best with my setup.

I also have some other questions: Should I be using VSS or any special Dolby features, or is plain stereo sound best? Also wondering what default bitrate format should be set in Windows. I'm using Windows 10 and read that I should use 24 bit 48k and turn off enhancements a few years ago and I've stuck to that for years, but recently I read that the max possible bitrate would be best for gaming. Also, my Schiit stack shows up as "realtek digital output in windows" screenshot here: https://i.imgur.com/R6tY0WF.png - is that normal? I saw an image a few posts back from this new one where someone can see their Schiit device in Windows but it's a different model. Made me curious.

Appreciate any help! :)

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #46,879 of 48,562
Hello all, hope everyone is doing well. I'm looking for some advice and headphone recommendations for gaming. I've been using DT 770 pro 250 ohm headphones with a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber, but sadly the headphones have snapped after the plastic wore away after slowly being stretched onto my massive head for years. I'm excited to try something new to be honest though. My main use for headphones will be for competitive gaming, any recommendations? Budget is around £250/$350. I've read through Shin's amazing gaming guide but there's so many choices and I'm not sure which would pair best with my setup.

I also have some other questions: Should I be using VSS or any special Dolby features, or is plain stereo sound best? Also wondering what default bitrate format should be set in Windows. I'm using Windows 10 and read that I should use 24 bit 48k and turn off enhancements a few years ago and I've stuck to that for years, but recently I read that the max possible bitrate would be best for gaming. Also, my Schiit stack shows up as "realtek digital output in windows" screenshot here: https://i.imgur.com/R6tY0WF.png - is that normal? I saw an image a few posts back from this new one where someone can see their Schiit device in Windows but it's a different model. Made me curious.

Appreciate any help! :)
I can't speak to your headphone question. I use the PC38X headset because I like a boom mic when I'm playing.

I definitely prefer Dolby Atmos to stereo. Call me crazy, but I like hearing people and cues behind, above, below (primarily a COD player). When I forget to enable Atmos, I immediately know it. Does it "sound" better than stereo. I don't know. I'm interested in sound location more than sound fidelity when gaming. That may determine what you use. Since Atmos is a cheap (possibly free) thing to try, give it a go and see for yourself. As far as "enhancements" go, I use some eq to boost footsteps (Equalizer APO/PEACE). That's it. I think ultimately, your hardware, game(s), and ears will determine what works best.

Atmos locks me into 24/48 for reasons I posted in this thread a few days ago (post #46,856).

My Schiit devices show up in the Windows Sound details, but Realtek(R) is my laptop speakers. Are you able to see all the sound devices connected to your pc? Right click to show disabled and disconnected devices. That may give you a clue.

1621020017595.png

May 15, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #46,881 of 48,562
K701/2 + Memory foam pads == K712

Q701 + Memory foam pads == K7xx

???

I am looking for a headphone with huge soundstage, So I am picking K701 since the reviews say they have the largest soundstage...

According to reviews, K701 lacks bass, Would changing the pads on K701 to memory foam increase the bass ?

How would a K701 sound with a memory foam ear pads ?

Are there other ear pads for K701 ? How would they affect the sound ?

May 15, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #46,882 of 48,562
I can't speak to your headphone question. I use the PC38X headset because I like a boom mic when I'm playing.

I definitely prefer Dolby Atmos to stereo. Call me crazy, but I like hearing people and cues behind, above, below (primarily a COD player). When I forget to enable Atmos, I immediately know it. Does it "sound" better than stereo. I don't know. I'm interested in sound location more than sound fidelity when gaming. That may determine what you use. Since Atmos is a cheap (possibly free) thing to try, give it a go and see for yourself. As far as "enhancements" go, I use some eq to boost footsteps (Equalizer APO/PEACE). That's it. I think ultimately, your hardware, game(s), and ears will determine what works best.

Atmos locks me into 24/48 for reasons I posted in this thread a few days ago (post #46,856).

My Schiit devices show up in the Windows Sound details, but Realtek(R) is my laptop speakers. Are you able to see all the sound devices connected to your pc? Right click to show disabled and disconnected devices. That may give you a clue.

1621020017595.png
It turns out my usb connector wasn't connected. The port must be faulty, so I switched it and it now shows in Windows like this: https://i.imgur.com/d2AmPJA.png - strangely says it's a speaker not an amplifier. and it's set to 32 bit/48k by default...should I change that?

May 15, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #46,883 of 48,562
It turns out my usb connector wasn't connected. The port must be faulty, so I switched it and it now shows in Windows like this: https://i.imgur.com/d2AmPJA.png - strangely says it's a speaker not an amplifier. and it's set to 32 bit/48k by default...should I change that?
You can change the icon and description by right-clicking and selecting properties.
1621096780469.png

As far as the bit depth and frequency, change that to whatever your music software outputs at max and see how it sounds. Double-check that you're not exceeding the max of your DAC's specs.

May 18, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #46,886 of 48,562
So, my mixamp pro 2013 broke, solution should be to buy a new one? I need it to mix the audio from the pc and the ps4, also, i don't know if the newer ones have 7.1 audio?
Seems like a job for the Creative Labs G6 (or G5) USB sound card (best guess).

May 19, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #46,888 of 48,562
Seems like a job for the Creative Labs G6 (or G5) USB sound card (best guess).
Completely forgot about it, looks good, i just couldn't understand from the review the aplication of the optical out port in the back, could it be used to connect a schiit magni for instance?
Not sure where you live, but in Europe you can have my old one for 10 bucks + shipping.

Not sure if the G6 can mix in PC audio.

Is it a 2013?

May 19, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #46,889 of 48,562
Completely forgot about it, looks good, i just couldn't understand from the review the aplication of the optical out port in the back, could it be used to connect a schiit magni for instance?
The rear output port is a 3.5mm stereo analog AND a 3.5mm toslink optical. You enable either mode in Command (Speaker Mode). The toslink is limited to 24/48 SPDIF.

You can use the toslink out to another DAC and amp (for example, the G6 is then a 7.1 virtualizer) or use the analog out to an amplifier.

May 19, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #46,890 of 48,562
The rear output port is a 3.5mm stereo analog AND a 3.5mm toslink optical. You enable either mode in Command (Speaker Mode). The toslink is limited to 24/48 SPDIF.

You can use the toslink out to another DAC and amp (for example, the G6 is then a 7.1 virtualizer) or use the analog out to an amplifier.
Thanks, forgot one detail, does it apply the virtualization and amp/dac to both the optical in and the usb? Or is there a difference between both ports (also does it then apply both to the optical out?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back