Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #39,136 of 48,562
Let's hope Microsoft realizes the importance of DV. If they pass on the cost, which is truly fine by me (not a lot of TVs can handle it currently). By next year, I expect a lot of 4K TVs to have the ability to decode Dolby Vision. It really is much better than HDR10.

My TV was one of the few 2016 models that does decode it, but my problem is it won't output Dolby Atmos, because LG are greedy and want everyone to go buy another OLED TV every year, apparently. Xbox X kind of simplifies it all for me if they can do DV as it becomes the center of my media streaming, in that case. (Right now I use the TV apps for everything).

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #39,137 of 48,562
Hey Bearmaster,

thanks for your writeup. Hopefully the driver issues get sorted out fast so you'll be able to give us comparisons with the SBZ and Co. You're the man for this now. :smiling_imp:
Basically AE5's BXAE vs. SBZ's SBX vs GSX 1000. Looking forward to it.

It will definitely take a while i have reached out to creative support waiting to see what they say.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #39,138 of 48,562
I know a guy who knows a guy. I see Evs has Sennheiser as a sponsor. ARE PEOPLE MOVING UP WITHOUT ME? :p

My focus for like the past year and a half have been on the PC tech side of things, and I have YET to build one. Talk about stagnating. I'm close.... so close to building one probably in the next two years, lol.

@Mad Lust Envy
Hey man!
I wouldn't so much say I'm sponsored by Sennheiser, but rather they hired me to do their posts on Head-Fi and "leverage my knowledge of the community" to find reviewers and pass feedback up to the Audiophile team. I'm pretty passionate about championing Head-Fi, but I'm not everywhere. Dedicating more time to that! One of the challenges though, now that I'm representing a company, I can't really make comparative statements between brands and other "conflict of interest"-y stuff, so it's been hard to think of stuff to say on my own account.

Getting insider info is fun... REALLY EXCITING TIMES AHEAD FROM SENNHEISER in the next year!!

As far as building the computer, or getting back some spark about headphones... just do it! Don't let your dreams stay dreams! You can always build a computer with good bones but just minimal RAM and GPU, or even skip a GPU and use the iGPU on the processor, and have a system for now, and then upgrade components later! I will say, I built a computer a few years back, and it was fun to explore Steam and upgrade GPUs and fans and stuff... but working on the computer got old, my backlog got huge, and I went back to consoles because I just felt like fussing with a computer was getting in the way of playing games and having fun. Of course, a laptop is a lot easier to take to an office breakroom or whatever...

Now, when Brian said "I know a guy," he probably meant Jude, but I might be able to help you out too if you PM me!

Edit: DUDE! By the way, have you played Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice? So good! Same developers as Heavenly Sword and DMC, loads of research into Norse Mythology and Psychosis, and BINAURAL headphone audio! Plays like an (easier) cross between the Souls games and The Witness.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #39,139 of 48,562
REALLY EXCITING TIMES AHEAD FROM SENNHEISER in the next year!!
200w.gif

Don't let your dreams stay dreams!
Oh no, here comes LeBeouf.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #39,140 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy
Hey man!
I wouldn't so much say I'm sponsored by Sennheiser, but rather they hired me to do their posts on Head-Fi and "leverage my knowledge of the community" to find reviewers and pass feedback up to the Audiophile team. I'm pretty passionate about championing Head-Fi, but I'm not everywhere. Dedicating more time to that! One of the challenges though, now that I'm representing a company, I can't really make comparative statements between brands and other "conflict of interest"-y stuff, so it's been hard to think of stuff to say on my own account.

Getting insider info is fun... REALLY EXCITING TIMES AHEAD FROM SENNHEISER in the next year!!

As far as building the computer, or getting back some spark about headphones... just do it! Don't let your dreams stay dreams! You can always build a computer with good bones but just minimal RAM and GPU, or even skip a GPU and use the iGPU on the processor, and have a system for now, and then upgrade components later! I will say, I built a computer a few years back, and it was fun to explore Steam and upgrade GPUs and fans and stuff... but working on the computer got old, my backlog got huge, and I went back to consoles because I just felt like fussing with a computer was getting in the way of playing games and having fun. Of course, a laptop is a lot easier to take to an office breakroom or whatever...

Now, when Brian said "I know a guy," he probably meant Jude, but I might be able to help you out too if you PM me!

Edit: DUDE! By the way, have you played Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice? So good! Same developers as Heavenly Sword and DMC, loads of research into Norse Mythology and Psychosis, and BINAURAL headphone audio! Plays like an (easier) cross between the Souls games and The Witness.
Stop being such a tease and tell us already.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #39,141 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy
Hey man!

That's awesome Evshrug! Congratulations on the new gig! I hope to see your personal thread here explode with Sennheiser product reviews and thoughts. You're definitely one of the few I've read enough posts from, to understand your sound preferences and how they relate to my own.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #39,142 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy
Hey man!

Oh oh.....I sense a GSX 2000 coming next year with the stuff most of us complained about. I hope they release something for consoles. Most importantly, something with a better DAC/AMP.

Oh goodie, good thing I have been staying away from these forums just to save money lol. Now I feel to be hooked again :p

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #39,143 of 48,562
Oh oh.....I sense a GSX 2000 coming next year with the stuff most of us complained about. I hope they release something for consoles. Most importantly, something with a better DAC/AMP.

Oh goodie, good thing I have been staying away from these forums just to save money lol. Now I feel to be hooked again :p
HDMI passthrough and S/PDIF output and I'm in.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #39,146 of 48,562
A wireless PC360/Game One/Whatever it's called nowadays! PogChamp

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #39,147 of 48,562
yeah, a new GSX would be neat. Testing it right now and it's a C+ at best.

from a electr. standpoint it's a toy, it's like a better Mixamp, nothing more. Nothing from that DAC/AMP screams proper design with (USB) isolation, power and proper shielding/isol. on the outputs.
headphone amp part is mediocre, microphone is too
its saving grace would have been an optical out feature but for 229€ that would have been still too expensive.

It's VST is great however, really good. Other than that I can't recommend this device. For 99€ it would be ok.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #39,149 of 48,562
Can someone please help me with sound settings for the PS4 pro and the Astro mixamp? What sound settings should i choose in game if using the mixamp with the VSS on? Example: Uncharted lost Legasy. Which in game sound setting should I choose to get the best "surround sound" setting? Some say choose home theater and some say choose "surround sound". I know it should be "what ever sounds the best to me" but im looking for the most "accurate" sounds, well for using a fake SS device that is.

*edit* I'm using open back headphones SHP9500s and Dt880s (alternating) I love this place and everyone is always so awesome and helpful, thought I would post in here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #39,150 of 48,562
Always set the game to 5.1 Home Theater when using the Mixamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back