Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 10, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #32,821 of 48,562
Really makes me wonder why the hell are the A&K players so expensive.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #32,822 of 48,562
I have not been keeping up with this but what is so positive about the G5 if someone were to already have the X7? I am assuming that the chat function will not work on consoles and it will be a less powerful amplifier. I'm assuming portability is its strong point?

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #32,823 of 48,562
  I have not been keeping up with this but what is so positive about the G5 if someone were to already have the X7? I am assuming that the chat function will not work on consoles and it will be a less powerful amplifier. I'm assuming portability is its strong point?

It's advertised as fully console-compatible  so we're assuming that chat is going to work (and going to be a less PITA than chat on the X7). Portability is actually a strong point as I don't imagine ever hauling the X7 to a LAN.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #32,824 of 48,562
  It's advertised as fully console-compatible  so we're assuming that chat is going to work (and going to be a less PITA than chat on the X7). Portability is actually a strong point as I don't imagine ever hauling the X7 to a LAN.

If its console compatible I will be trading/selling my x7 for a real headphone or cash towards an amp for my th900 and the HD800s (when it comes out) and ordering a g5 for myself for gaming. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #32,825 of 48,562

E5's chat function already works (quite well) with the PS4, the amp may be set up to use less power but the main amp chip is the same as used in the X7.

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #32,826 of 48,562
E5's chat function already works (quite well) with the PS4, the amp may be set up to use less power but the main amp chip is the same as used in the X7.

If it works with the Xbox One as well I will 100% be purchasing and selling the X7 and putting the money towards a dedicated amp.

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #32,829 of 48,562
So assuming the G5 is cross platform, and works on both PS4, Xbox One, and PC, what else would I need in addition to that and my K7XX's?

Would I still use my DX in my PC or not, since this is an amp AND an external sound card?

Would I need a mixamp to balance game and chat audio too?

Hopefully we get some info soon as my K7XX's are shipping on 11/20, and I'd like to get an amp for them by the end of November.

If this can work as a solution for both consoles and a PC setup that would be great, because if I need to buy to separate setups(minus headphones) for PC and consoles I'll just stick with my A50's for console use.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #32,831 of 48,562
I've currently got an Astro Mixamp plugged into my Xbox One via optical and USB to my PC, playing through a pair of AKG K612's. Is the Mixamp giving me a good representation of my K612's and what they should sound like?

I've seen someone else mention that they use a Sound Blaster E5 but not sure how much difference it would make considering it would cost me over £100 to replace the Mixamp.

Any advice?

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #32,832 of 48,562
I've currently got an Astro Mixamp plugged into my Xbox One via optical and USB to my PC, playing through a pair of AKG K612's. Is the Mixamp giving me a good representation of my K612's and what they should sound like?

I've seen someone else mention that they use a Sound Blaster E5 but not sure how much difference it would make considering it would cost me over £100 to replace the Mixamp.

Any advice?

Read the first post of this thread.

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #32,835 of 48,562

I've read it a number of times but I was hoping for something more specific to my situation. Also the first page doesn't mention amps like the E5 so hoping someone had some advice more relative to me and with experience of kit not mentioned in the first post.

First post does specifically mention the K612 as needing additional amping, and even gives some recommendations on budget amps. You can find the E5 review on @Evshrug's profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back