Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 4, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,381 of 48,562

Quote:
I know I use my A40 and mixamp for MP/soundwhoring/when I need a mic, but I've been using the HFI-780 with the mixamp for everything else. I really, really hate using the A40 now unless I'm playing a shooter. The difference is ridiculous. I can't imagine what it must be like for the really good headphones. (I got the A40s and the mixamp before I really understood anything about audio. Regretting the A40 purchase a bit, but definitely not the mixamp.)

Yep same story with me and my X41s and D2000s a while back.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #1,382 of 48,562

Quote:
Hey guys sorry to revisit an old question, but this is on Xbox 360 game/chat audio mixing (again).
Anyone heard of Xjacker? They claim to be able to amp and mix the 2 audio signals, plus adapt a regular PC headset's mic for use on 360. Here's the link:
http://www.xjacker.com/instructions_gaming_headset_amp_kit.php

Doesn't look any different from plugging my headphones into an amp, and having the 360's wired headset around my neck (for use of mic).
Problem with that setup is chat audio isn't amped independent of game audio--again, Xjacker looks to run into the same problem. What do you guys think?

The way their setup is, is exactly how I have my xbox setup but just smaller. Game audio goes to my headphones from my H&K receiver using DH while I have my mic plugged directly into my controller. I was hoping that that thing was just a small puck that only mixed the audio and not amp it... something that I will never find :/ I'd have better luck finding a small mixer for turntables and using its crossfader... scratch that, going to look into how to make crossfader. It'd be so much easier if I just gave in and got a wired mixamp.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,384 of 48,562
It's pretty simple to hook up to a mixer too, just connect a 3.5mm to rca cable with a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable into the controller then connect your mic directly into one of the rca's with the proper adapter and the other rca into the mixer. I was going to look for a cheap mixer at the flea market today but the rain says otherwise.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #1,387 of 48,562
Ah, but the challenge of solving the problem with DIY-ish means is kinda fun.
Also, shipping to Singapore for Astro products is ridonkulous--I heard a guy bought his A40 system for ~US$366.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,388 of 48,562
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/04/mad-catz-exclusive-xbox-360-wireless-headphones-revealed-integ/

Gaming, Peripherals
Mad Catz' exclusive Xbox 360 wireless headphones revealed: integrated voice chat, 5.8GHz base station
By Sean Hollister posted Jun 4th 2011 10:08PM
Remember how Mad Catz scored the exclusive rights to produce Xbox 360 wireless headphones? Here's the deal: these cans don't need to be tethered to your controller for voice chat or plugged into a wall to charge. According to IGN, the new Mad Catz Warhead 7.1 will get everything it needs from a base station connected to your console. String USB and optical cables directly from the Xbox 360 to that tiny tower above, and you'll reportedly get enough 5.8GHz bandwidth to deliver virtual Dolby surround sound to four pairs of headphones at once -- plus wireless Xbox LIVE audio chat thanks to some native support from Microsoft. What's more, the USB base station will also give you an on-screen battery readout, and if the Warhead runs out of juice, you'll find a second swappable battery pack sitting in the base station's charger. If that sounds too rich for your blood, the Devastator will ditch the surround sound and rechargeable batteries while retaining the same connectivity and 50mm drivers of its premium brother. How much that'll cost you is still to be determined, though Mad Catz told IGN they'll all ring up under $300 this holiday.

If this ends up sounding comparable to the PC360 (which I doubt), I would seriously consider this product, because there is absolutely NO tethering to the 360 controller, meaning ZERO wires. It uses Dolby Headphone, which you all know I'm 100% for, so this would be the end be all headset solution for those wanting the cleanest setup.

Can't wait for reviews.

I do wish it had external headphone support, for when we wanna game in DH without this headset, though that's what the Mixamp 5.8 is for.

I don't see this as solution to us enthusiastic Head-fiers, but for those that want just one headset and that's it.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #1,389 of 48,562

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/04/mad-catz-exclusive-xbox-360-wireless-headphones-revealed-integ/

Quote:
Gaming, Peripherals
Mad Catz' exclusive Xbox 360 wireless headphones revealed: integrated voice chat, 5.8GHz base station
By Sean Hollister posted Jun 4th 2011 10:08PM
Remember how Mad Catz scored the exclusive rights to produce Xbox 360 wireless headphones? Here's the deal: these cans don't need to be tethered to your controller for voice chat or plugged into a wall to charge. According to IGN, the new Mad Catz Warhead 7.1 will get everything it needs from a base station connected to your console. String USB and optical cables directly from the Xbox 360 to that tiny tower above, and you'll reportedly get enough 5.8GHz bandwidth to deliver virtual Dolby surround sound to four pairs of headphones at once -- plus wireless Xbox LIVE audio chat thanks to some native support from Microsoft. What's more, the USB base station will also give you an on-screen battery readout, and if the Warhead runs out of juice, you'll find a second swappable battery pack sitting in the base station's charger. If that sounds too rich for your blood, the Devastator will ditch the surround sound and rechargeable batteries while retaining the same connectivity and 50mm drivers of its premium brother. How much that'll cost you is still to be determined, though Mad Catz told IGN they'll all ring up under $300 this holiday.

If this ends up sounding comparable to the PC360 (which I doubt), I would seriously consider this product, because there is absolutely NO tethering to the 360 controller, meaning ZERO wires. It uses Dolby Headphone, which you all know I'm 100% for, so this would be the end be all headset solution for those wanting the cleanest setup.

Can't wait for reviews.

I do wish it had external headphone support, for when we wanna game in DH without this headset, though that's what the Mixamp 5.8 is for.

I don't see this as solution to us enthusiastic Head-fiers, but for those that want just one headset and that's it.

Wow. That will replace my PX5s if it turns out as promised.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #1,390 of 48,562
Question, would something like the Audinst HUD-mx1 or Audio-Gd NFB-12 work ith the PS3 via the USB input from the mx1? I just wondering whether it'll work, cause the driver is meant for PCs? Thanks

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #1,391 of 48,562

Quote:
You guys should just save up for the mixamp 5.8, solves all your problems.

My receiver already does DH, so it's either I spend $160 for a mixamp (ca tax + shipping) or pick up a used mixer for $20

Quote:
calpis: afraid you lost me there. Got a diagram?

sM9Awh.jpg

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #1,392 of 48,562
Calpis: Thanks! I was thinking of patching the controller/chat audio into the mixer that way...am I right to say you're using the female RCA to female 3.5 to input mic audio into the mix? But how do you know which RCA cable to patch it into? 

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #1,393 of 48,562
I love my KSC75 so much, so I want the best I can get in that form factor. I tend to reach for my KSC75 over my other cans when watching movies, and whatnot because of how ridiculously comfortable they are. My KSC75 is starting to distort the bass every once in awhile, so I think its time to put them to rest. They served me incredibly well.

I'm looking for a beast clip on as my main comfort can.

I was gonna go with the Yuin G1A, then I read that it has a smooth treble. That immediately disqualified it. I hear it sounds like the ESW9 in that department which I owned and absolutely despised.

I'm gonna have to read up on clip ons... probably gonna order another pair of 75s.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,394 of 48,562
Hey Mad Lust Envy, would know of any cheap audiophile grade DAC/AMP that would double as as stand alone DAC that could replace getting a Mixamp. I dont want to waste the money getting an amp/dac that's built for gaming.ie MIxamp. Sorry, for being an idiot, I think I missed massive chucks of how to connect amps like E9 to PS3 port, do you reckon you could explain, please?

Also, would there happen to be a RCA to ps3 optical connect or something for audio?

Cheers

Mitos

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,395 of 48,562
I think out of the 2 headphones, the AD700 definitely is the winner for me when it comes to gaming.

They are both good for locating sound, but the AD700 sounds clearer to me in times of heavy action. Also the ambient map sounds are not so prominent/distracting compared to the 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back