Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 15, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #46,126 of 48,566
Question for the fellow gamers here:
I'm looking to upgrade from my SoundBlaster G6 to either an X7 or the new AE-9 internal card. Has anyone here used either the X7 or AE-9 and how was it?
One of the reasons for the upgrade is so I can swap out OPamps - I use Fostex TH900's, so they'd likely benefit from a higher end model than the G6 at this point :)
Unless you have unpowered speakers you need to drive, can't see replacing the G6 with the X7.
Can't see the X7, driving the 25-Ohm Fostex TH900 headphones, better then the G6.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #46,127 of 48,566
Unless you have unpowered speakers you need to drive, can't see replacing the G6 with the X7.
Can't see the X7, driving the 25-Ohm Fostex TH900 headphones, better then the G6.

Well it's not so much the amp than the DAC/DSP components. Plus on the X7 you can swap OP-Amps for a little more customization vs. the G6. I heard (not sure how true it is) that the X7 and AE-9's seem to do a better job with surround sound virtualization than the G6. One of the common complaints on the G6 is that rear channels sometimes bleed into the sides a bit, so sometimes it gets difficult to tell if something is to the side of you or behind you. I can attest to that from personal experience.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #46,128 of 48,566
Or the newer mixamps capable of mixing the audio?

I wanted to do a DAC/Amp setup for the pc, but how would i mix the audio then?

Also, is the G6 capable of doing that mix?
Questions over my head.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #46,129 of 48,566
Well it's not so much the amp than the DAC/DSP components. Plus on the X7 you can swap OP-Amps for a little more customization vs. the G6. I heard (not sure how true it is) that the X7 and AE-9's seem to do a better job with surround sound virtualization than the G6. One of the common complaints on the G6 is that rear channels sometimes bleed into the sides a bit, so sometimes it gets difficult to tell if something is to the side of you or behind you. I can attest to that from personal experience.
I would assume the G6 and X7 use about the same software for surround sound processing.
If I was Creative Labs, I would design the software to run off the main CPU as much as possible, lighten the workload for the audio DSP.
If your into swaping op-amps, better to just get an external DAC/amp, have the G6 send the processed headphone surround sound, out it's optical port, to the DAC/amp.
Post your bleeding issue on Forums where they have a lot of support for Creative Labs stuff, see if they have any ideas on the problem.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #46,130 of 48,566
Or the newer mixamps capable of mixing the audio?

I wanted to do a DAC/Amp setup for the pc, but how would i mix the audio then?

Also, is the G6 capable of doing that mix?
You can use the G6 to mix PC and console audio into one output if that's what you're asking, yeah. That's what I partially use it for(that and getting virtual surround from consoles). I have optical out from my TV going into the optical in on the G6, my G6 plugged into my PC via USB, and then I have optical out on the G6 connected to my DAC/AMP. It's useful for when I'm playing consoles but I'm using discord on my PC or something for voice chat.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #46,131 of 48,566
I'm gonna be upgrading to a Modius/Jotunheim 2 within a month or so. I plan on giving one of you guys the Modi 3/Magni 3. All you gotta do is pay shipping.

$200 worth of gear for the price of shipping. Because why not? The only thing you'll have to supply yourself is a micro usb and rca cable, as I'm fresh out of spares and need the ones I have. I'll have to and see. I may have some.

I'll let you all know when I'm ready to do so. Preferably someone who doesn't have gear yet.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #46,133 of 48,566
I'm gonna be upgrading to a Modius/Jotunheim 2 within a month or so. I plan on giving one of you guys the Modi 3/Magni 3. All you gotta do is pay shipping.

$200 worth of gear for the price of shipping. Because why not? The only thing you'll have to supply yourself is a micro usb and rca cable, as I'm fresh out of spares and need the ones I have. I'll have to and see. I may have some.

I'll let you all know when I'm ready to do so. Preferably someone who doesn't have gear yet.

Out of curiosity do you prefer the Schiit stuff over say something like Topping?

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #46,134 of 48,566
Hey @Mad Lust Envy just curious would you be reviewing the Redscape with the head tracker or just the software? What headphones are you currently using out of curiosity.

Also if anyone could recommend me some headphones for fun immersive non competitive gaming that would be awesome I am having bad luck since my dt 990’s died, I ordered the 560s but they came defective with intermittent audio on the left side and no audio on the right. I sent them back and right now cannot get another pair for a while so looking for something else so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #46,135 of 48,566
Hey @Mad Lust Envy just curious would you be reviewing the Redscape with the head tracker or just the software? What headphones are you currently using out of curiosity.

Also if anyone could recommend me some headphones for fun immersive non competitive gaming that would be awesome I am having bad luck since my dt 990’s died, I ordered the 560s but they came defective with intermittent audio on the left side and no audio on the right. I sent them back and right now cannot get another pair for a while so looking for something else so any recommendations would be appreciated.

For me fun and immersive for gaming has become synonym with planar.
Why don’t you look at some of the Audeze offerings?
I have the Penrose and LCD-GX myself now, used to have an LCD-XC.
LCD-1 might also be a good choice at a lower price-point than the GX and without the wireless of the Penrose.

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #46,136 of 48,566
For me fun and immersive for gaming has become synonym with planar.
Why don’t you look at some of the Audeze offerings?
I have the Penrose and LCD-GX myself now, used to have an LCD-XC.
LCD-1 might also be a good choice at a lower price-point than the GX and without the wireless of the Penrose.
Hey thank you I was looking at the lcd-1 and the mobius any opinions on either since they are roughly both 500$ cdn. I was also looking at the hifiman sundara if you have an opinion on them also

thanks again

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #46,137 of 48,566
I'm reviewing both the headtracking and software for Redscape. I've been using the headtracking with the 6XX, and the software with the 6XX, LCD-1, Penrose, PortaPro (with KSC75 clips).

I wouldn't say LCD-1 is as fun or immersive as the Penrose. The LCD-1 is super tonally accurate and flat. It's more for reference and people wanting an uncolored sound.

The Penrose is a little more vibrant and energetic, and if you're ok with wireless, is excellent.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #46,138 of 48,566
I'm reviewing both the headtracking and software for Redscape. I've been using the headtracking with the 6XX, and the software with the 6XX, LCD-1, Penrose, PortaPro (with KSC75 clips).

I wouldn't say LCD-1 is as fun or immersive as the Penrose. The LCD-1 is super tonally accurate and flat. It's more for reference and people wanting an uncolored sound.

The Penrose is a little more vibrant and energetic, and if you're ok with wireless, is excellent.
Thank you very much for the reply. The Redscape looks very cool cannot wait for you review.
Since the penrose is back ordered would you have any other recommendation or is it really worth waiting for them.

thanks again

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #46,139 of 48,566
Any suggestions?
I started with a G6, then added an Asgard 3 amp. Later added a SMSL M300 MKII DAC + FX Audio Tube-01 tube preamp. So now my G6 is relegated to providing 7.1 Virtual HRTF for gaming (if the game doesn't support Atmos or DTS:X) The G6 supports an HRTF mix over Line-out or SPDIF-Out over toslink, which you use the toslink to your dedicated DAC.

I thought the G6 was a decent DAC, until I compared it to the AK4497 solution of the M300 MKII. :beyersmile:

The G6 is able to power some pretty demanding headphones actually. The TH900 is a very easy headphone to drive - I've never had problems using it with the G6. I don't even need to put it on the high gain setting to drive them properly. Hell, I literally can use the headphones with a regular Sony MP3 player, lol (not ideal, but very doable)

Also from what I see, the X7 and AE-9 can drive up to 600 ohm HP's. I think the G6 can do up to 300 if I'm not mistaken
The G6 is capable of 86mW @ 300 ohm, the AE-9 about 115mW @ 300 ohm. In comparison, the Asgard 3 can output 600mW@300ohm. So no, the G6 is a little anemic for higher impedance headphones.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #46,140 of 48,566
Oh the video I'm thinking of making isn't a review. More a short spoof and rant about Koss, lol.

My next review is certainly Redscape Audio and its headtracking however. As of right now, that's gonna be a standard written impression/review.

And I'm not trying to do a Zeos type of review. It would still be structured similar to my written reviews, but more casual speech. And certainly not 30 minutes. More to the point, which is why I believe people like my reviews to begin with.

The only thing that would be similar is the POV. If I have to make jump cuts/simple edits, they'll be there.

At the very least, my readers here would have something to watch if they wanna hear and see my opinions. I'm certainly not aiming to be anything like those other guys. For one, I can't make reviews every day/other day like that can. It's not possible for me.

Also if I REALLY wanna be technical, I had a POV video about a headphone about half a year before Zeos made his very first video. :p

My Skullcandy Plyr video was May 2013. :scream:

If I wanna be even more technical, I started this guide on Avsforum, I believe in late 2010, before I lost my account info and had to make a second version there, lol. This is technically version 3 of my guide.
I certainly think you can have an audience! You’ve helped me and countless others here and you have great knowledge of the subject matter. You have more beef in your gaming analysis, something popular but underrepresented. Your experience is gold, not many people are on your level

Users who are viewing this thread

Back