Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 27, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #41,447 of 48,566
Control the app via your phone. It's an additional convenience.
It's already plugged to the PC, isn't it more convenient to change the settings using mouse and keyboard on a big screen with a mouse and keyboard instead of tiny smartphone screen? I mean, unless you're running Linux (in which case the phone app is the only way to got) you can just install the desktop app and do everything from there.

Oct 27, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #41,448 of 48,566
20181027_112754.jpg So I was confused on which sound blaster e5, g5, and g6 to get. I only play on PC and only game(FPS and battle royal). I come from astro tr mix amp. After getting rid of Astro tr I bought the G6, and I have actually been pretty happy with it. Going through this post and reading people's replies I see people say E5 or the G5 is a better value, so I ended up buying the E5 and G5 also to try. I first tried E5, for me I hated the software and interface. To me the eqs are lacking options compared to G6. I dont know why but I couldn't figure out why I wasn't hearing footsteps and why sound was like dry and muffled. I couldn't distinctly hear footsteps like with the G6 eq settings. I guess Bluetooth is cool but my motherboard has Bluetooth and I nvr used it. For the G5 I had the same issue, I couldn't figure out sound issue. I just think compared to the new G6 software and interface is just better to me. I find it easier to navigate with a lot more options.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #41,449 of 48,566
It's already plugged to the PC, isn't it more convenient to change the settings using mouse and keyboard on a big screen with a mouse and keyboard instead of tiny smartphone screen? I mean, unless you're running Linux (in which case the phone app is the only way to got) you can just install the desktop app and do everything from there.
If you're playing a game or doing something else you don't have to alt-tab out to change settings on the fly, just use the phone.

So I was confused on which sound blaster e5, g5, and g6 to get. I only play on PC and only game(FPS and battle royal). I come from astro tr mix amp. After getting rid of Astro tr I bought the G6, and I have actually been pretty happy with it. Going through this post and reading people's replies I see people say E5 or the G5 is a better value, so I ended up buying the E5 and G5 also to try. I first tried E5, for me I hated the software and interface. To me the eqs are lacking options compared to G6. I dont know why but I couldn't figure out why I wasn't hearing footsteps and why sound was like dry and muffled. I couldn't distinctly hear footsteps like with the G6 eq settings. I guess Bluetooth is cool but my motherboard has Bluetooth and I nvr used it. For the G5 I had the same issue, I couldn't figure out sound issue. I just think compared to the new G6 software and interface is just better to me. I find it easier to navigate with a lot more options.
That's odd, I noticed no difference between the two for soundwhoring. I also play FPS and battle royale. The E5 also has all the EQ settings the G6 has. It arguably also has better surround options as you can dial it in precisely like the X7, rather than selecting between 3 settings.

Did you try the EQ on both? I mean changing the various frequencies. TheG6's equalizer audio quality is noticeably terrible vs. the E5. It sounds like the E3. It is the big difference between the two in my opinion. It's so bad I feel like they are going to have to update it. Try turning up the bass on each for example. The E5 is way cleaner. (I know you don't want a lot of bass for footsteps but it's most obviously noticeable quality difference. All of the EQ settings sound worse though, not just the bass.)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #41,450 of 48,566
If you're playing a game or doing something else you don't have to alt-tab out to change settings on the fly, just use the phone.

That's odd, I noticed no difference between the two for soundwhoring. I also play FPS and battle royale. The E5 also has all the EQ settings the G6 has. It arguably also has better surround options as you can dial it in precisely like the X7, rather than selecting between 3 settings.

Did you try the EQ on both? I mean changing the various frequencies. TheG6's equalizer audio quality is noticeably terrible vs. the E5. It sounds like the E3. It is the big difference between the two in my opinion. It's so bad I feel like they are going to have to update it. Try turning up the bass on each for example. The E5 is way cleaner. (I know you don't want a lot of bass for footsteps but it's most obviously noticeable quality difference. All of the EQ settings sound worse though, not just the bass.)

I guess with me having a extra screen to have all my monitor apps like cpu and gpu temp, speed, etc: TS or discord: and sound blaster app I dont see a problem with tabbing over and selecting changes.

I'll be honest I'm not good with knowing what frequencies are what, but I tried to adjust it on both E5 and G5 to how I saw it on the G6. I really didnt think there would be much of a sound difference since there pretty much all same inside beside little things. In those little increments on E5 and G6 I didnt really see a difference in surround adjustments like on G6 going from wide to ultra. Also G6 has alot more game profile options for EQs than E5 and G5. For me on G6 EQs it's easy for me to use slider that's on bottem to move the bass or treble sliders to increase and/or decrease them. I know treble will bring out footsteps more so I bring that to like a 4 to 6 and bass to a 2. I was also considering buying a X7 since I have a $200 Amazon gift card but now since I know its same interface as E5 I'm afraid I wont like it.

Maybe post your settings and I can try again. Do you use stereo, 5.1, or 7.1?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #41,451 of 48,566
Hi, I'm new here. I'd looking for headphones mainly for gaming. I enjoy music as well but no genre in particular. Speakers micca mb42x, headsets siberia v2 and hyperx cloud. I don't like the cloud's bass, the soundstage isn't accurate at all and the sound separation is weak. Siberia v2's sound is more accurate and bass is more enjoyable to me. I'm looking at k702, hd 598, ad700x, superlux 668b. I would prefer being able to drive the heaphone with onboard audio for now.

I mostly want accurate sound/soundstage/sound separation.

Are rtings review even worth looking at? According to their data ad700x looks pretty bad even it's soundstage, and a g433 is top closed back headphone for critical listening?

Edit: I have msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard, it claims to support 600 ohm headphones and not much information about power, but I think there's some kind of boost with sound blaster.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #41,452 of 48,566
Hey everyone just a question for gaming I was reading the review over and over from the first page and it might be my lack of sleep lately but cannot decide for the dt990 would it be better pro or premium. It seems the premium is for house use and the pro for studio. Also what ohms should I be looking at. They way I am understanding the 250ohms is the way to go but I am getting recommendations on reddit to go for the 32ohm. Again this will be only for gaming.

Thanks again

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #41,453 of 48,566
Ok, I think I finally decide it. I am gonna take gsx 1000 and use it with my 363d for now. Later I'll buy gsp500 (I love those type of headsets! Great mic, cable and volume controll).

BUT. Should I consider something up to 150ohm for gaming with gsx1000? HD700, for example twice the price of gsp500, but i don't feel it's worth it. Maybe there is other options? And again, are they worth it or I can gust stick with gsp500

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #41,454 of 48,566
So I already plan to get X2HR's for "fun" casual gaming, say the new COD. But for competitive CSGO or any other games where footsteps and imaging in particular are very important, I feel like there's better. From what I saw, HD800 would be to absolute best money could buy right now as far as that particular thing is concerned. Are there any others to consider from a value standpoint? Again, I feel like I want the best possible imaging for the $$, and the most clear/precise mids/treb. Only thing I worry is with these upper echelon cans is that soundstage will be too wide...

I see the OP in the guide recommends quite a few at 8+/10 for gaming, but I don't think I see these in particular being reviewed. From what I can see from an analytical standpoint, these would be two of the best to fit my needs. What's crazy is he lists the AD700 as 10/10 for comp... but I own these and I dont find this to be the case. With playing Fortnite, I often times can't tell if a person is below me or above me. Left and right is obvious, but anywhere in between is a mystery. Also, I found a website which measured mathmatically the ability to image, and AD700's ranked far below and 800s.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/imaging

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #41,455 of 48,566
So I already plan to get X2HR's for "fun" casual gaming, say the new COD. But for competitive CSGO or any other games where footsteps and imaging in particular are very important, I feel like there's better. From what I saw, HD800 would be to absolute best money could buy right now as far as that particular thing is concerned. Are there any others to consider from a value standpoint? Again, I feel like I want the best possible imaging for the $$, and the most clear/precise mids/treb. Only thing I worry is with these upper echelon cans is that soundstage will be too wide...

I see the OP in the guide recommends quite a few at 8+/10 for gaming, but I don't think I see these in particular being reviewed. From what I can see from an analytical standpoint, these would be two of the best to fit my needs. What's crazy is he lists the AD700 as 10/10 for comp... but I own these and I dont find this to be the case. With playing Fortnite, I often times can't tell if a person is below me or above me. Left and right is obvious, but anywhere in between is a mystery. Also, I found a website which measured mathmatically the ability to image, and AD700's ranked far below and 800s.

Really? Do you use any software/sound card or anything with the ad700? Also for budget there would be hd 598 sr and a step above would be k702 but these would be harder to drive. Both score fairly higher than ad700s but I seriously doubt rtings rating mean much when it comes to soundstage in game, but I could be wrong. According to their scores we might as well all go to gaming headset, even for critical listening....

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #41,456 of 48,566
Really? Do you use any software/sound card or anything with the ad700? Also for budget there would be hd 598 sr and a step above would be k702 but these would be harder to drive. Both score fairly higher than ad700s but I seriously doubt rtings rating mean much when it comes to soundstage in game, but I could be wrong. According to their scores we might as well all go to gaming headset, even for critical listening....
I use the RAZR software and I have a good gaming mobo so no sound card needed. Running off a modi/magni also. According to the spec sheet, the Magni should be plenty of power even for 300ohm cans. Not sure if I'll get any noise as I have 0% experience driving anything but low expedience stuff on this set up so no idea what volume knov turned up 60% would do.

I guess as far as value goes... the 800's might only give me 10% better imaging qualities which perhaps isn't worth it just for that alone. Wonder if the implementation of the footstep feature has been changed in Fortnite since I last played? All I know is that I personally had an impossible time telling if steps were above or below me the last time I played. For CSGO... it was just different. I remember going back to CSGO after months of Fortnite only and being like wow What am I hearing right now?? The new 3D sound update Valve put in was either massively different or just plain old bad compared to Fortnite is all I remember thinking. But at that point I don't think Fortnite had put in the update to footsteps being more audible, etc.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #41,457 of 48,566
I use the RAZR software and I have a good gaming mobo so no sound card needed. Running off a modi/magni also. According to the spec sheet, the Magni should be plenty of power even for 300ohm cans. Not sure if I'll get any noise as I have 0% experience driving anything but low expedience stuff on this set up so no idea what volume knov turned up 60% would do.

I guess as far as value goes... the 800's might only give me 10% better imaging qualities which perhaps isn't worth it just for that alone. Wonder if the implementation of the footstep feature has been changed in Fortnite since I last played? All I know is that I personally had an impossible time telling if steps were above or below me the last time I played. For CSGO... it was just different. I remember going back to CSGO after months of Fortnite only and being like wow What am I hearing right now?? The new 3D sound update Valve put in was either massively different or just plain old bad compared to Fortnite is all I remember thinking. But at that point I don't think Fortnite had put in the update to footsteps being more audible, etc.
Can you try playing without the razer software, maybe that's the problem. I'm considering buying ad700x the most right now.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #41,458 of 48,566
Sure, I will try to play both CSGO and Fortnite tonight for a little while without Razr running. I'd love for this to solve my issue! Then I only need to buy the X2's for "fun" gaming where I don't care about precise locations and just want to hear things go BOOOM ^__^ (AD700's don't do much of that).

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #41,459 of 48,566
If your talking the

Your saying fun/casual gaming for the new COD. I'm guessing you only play zombies because either MP or Blackout your going to want that precision.

I also have a good gaming MB. I have a Asus ROG Strix Z370-G that claims it powers up to 600ohms but headset(K7XX) still doesn't get loud enough and even if so I find the louder it is the more so of the fine details get missed.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #41,460 of 48,566
So my point is I know that I can't get a fun headphone that will also be extremely precise with really good imaging. By all accounts, AD700's do image very well, but they have virtually no bass and I'm sure there's a better "fun" experience to be had with V shaped designs (thus the X2's). My initial thought was to get the best image during intense comps would be to splurge on Hd880S or similar. However, based on above, maybe I need to see if turning the RAZR software off will make my aforementioned sound location issues go away and I won't need to spend $1200+. I could keep my AD700's for comp modes and then pug in X2's for when I'm in casual death matches, zombies, whatever. Dota2, Team Fortress, etc footsteps don't really matter. I want head rattling explosions and a mega wide sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back