Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 1, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #40,291 of 48,562
Well like I said though, with other sources the Q1 is more than powerful enough to drive both the AKGs and my HE400i cans to ear-splitting levels. That’s with both the USB connection from my laptop or the 3.5 mm headphone jack input. But with the jack from the ds4 it’s like the amp isn’t really doing anything at all. And it’s not like the output from the jack on the controller is all that loud on its own even with just the earbuds...i’m not sure what you mean by “some little FiiO amp”. They are designed to provide better amplification for headphones...

Actually, I think i’ve answered my own question. I suspect it’s just the case that the maximum power output of the jack on the controller is simply lower than the output on my iPad or iPhone7. The amp just doesn’t have enough to work with there.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #40,292 of 48,562
Well like I said though, with other sources the Q1 is more than powerful enough to drive both the AKGs and my HE400i cans to ear-splitting levels. That’s with both the USB connection from my laptop or the 3.5 mm headphone jack input. But with the jack from the ds4 it’s like the amp isn’t really doing anything at all. And it’s not like the output from the jack on the controller is all that loud on its own even with just the earbuds...i’m not sure what you mean by “some little FiiO amp”. They are designed to provide better amplification for headphones...

Actually, I think i’ve answered my own question. I suspect it’s just the case that the maximum power output of the jack on the controller is simply lower than the output on my iPad or iPhone7. The amp just doesn’t have enough to work with there.

Yep, DS doesn't have a lot of juice to start, so it's amping less to begin with. Nice feature, but really only good for suppe efficient headphones.

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #40,293 of 48,562
How is the latest mixamp TR compared to the last gen mixamp Pro? May upgrade if it’s worth it, but Have heard that the TR sounds worse then the last mixamp iteration it replaces.

Still can’t believe that no one else has made an audiophile mixamp device. Astro still has a lock on that market that needs the chat mixer.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #40,294 of 48,562
How is the latest mixamp TR compared to the last gen mixamp Pro? May upgrade if it’s worth it, but Have heard that the TR sounds worse then the last mixamp iteration it replaces.

Still can’t believe that no one else has made an audiophile mixamp device. Astro still has a lock on that market that needs the chat mixer.

Creative Sound Blaster X7

It is an audiophile grade device and it's far better than the Mixamp. There's a long thread here (first post is excellent), them read the last 10 pages I guess to get caught up (more if you are interested and have time of course!).

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #40,295 of 48,562
+1 on the X7.

Set of sparkos turned up this week.

I swear this forum was made solely to make sure the kids get no inheritence when I go, but will end up with awesome audio.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #40,296 of 48,562
+1 on the X7.

I swear this forum was made solely to make sure the kids get no inheritence when I go, but will end up with awesome audio.

Can't wait for impressions!

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #40,298 of 48,562
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #40,299 of 48,562
+1 on the X7.

Hope you like them!

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #40,300 of 48,562
+1 on the X7.

I've told my parents numerous times. Outside of a few heirlooms, spend it ALL! Life is hard enough, and as you age, that's the time to enjoy it. I'd rather have kick ass audio gear handed down than money. At least I'd know my Dad enjoyed himself (he's an audio nut himself). Most waste money given to them. YOU should enjoy your hard earned money!

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #40,301 of 48,562
Here is the direct quote I got from Astro about the stream out port on the MixAmp Pro TR

Hey DasGouche,

You could use the stream output as a secondary headphone port, and it would contain Dolby processing if it is switched on. You would need to adjust the settings through the ASTRO Command Center, so the stream output only includes game audio, and the volume has been set at a recommended level which is acceptable by the amplifier. It's possible you may encounter a buzzing which might be removable by using a ground loop isolator, and the microphone will not work.

While I’m sure the X7 is probably a more elegant solution. Seems like we could use the MixAmp as the dac/dsp and use something like a Magni 3 or other amp. I am still fairly new to this so I don’t know if others have tried this with poor results and that is why people just double amp the MixAmp. It is about half the cost of the X7 if this solution worked. Is the dsp of the X7 that much better? I am still testing out headphones in the 200-300 range which would be used just for gaming. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #40,302 of 48,562
The problem is the Mixamp is noisy, and has a crap amp. You'll have to max the volume out, which will not be a standard 2V output, so whatever amp you connect to the Mixamp, will not have the power output it says (all numbers of amps are based on 2V).

Also the Mixamp is really only good for VSS. It sucks for music, unless they all the sudden improved this drastically (hahaha). Mixamp+Magni isn't even close to the X7.

If you have a Mixamp and it works for you, great, don't worry about it. If I was buying new today, I'd invest the extra money for the X7. May make sense to wait for E3, in case something is announced. I had issues driving some headphones with the X7 and original Magni. These werent exactly hard to drive either (K702 Annie's). X7 to me is more future proof, as it would drive most headphones without issue at all.

Sometimes it's hard to gauge interest in something until you try it. Dipping your toe (cheapest option) is for many the default choice, which makes sense. X7 is just a lot more versatile, and an end game setup for many. The Mixamp will leave many wanting more after a while if you're serious into audio. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #40,303 of 48,562
The problem is the Mixamp is noisy, and has a crap amp. You'll have to max the volume out, which will not be a standard 2V output, so whatever amp you connect to the Mixamp, will not have the power output it says (all numbers of amps are based on 2V).

Also the Mixamp is really only good for VSS. It sucks for music, unless they all the sudden improved this drastically (hahaha). Mixamp+Magni isn't even close to the X7.

If you have a Mixamp and it works for you, great, don't worry about it. If I was buying new today, I'd invest the extra money for the X7. May make sense to wait for E3, in case something is announced. I had issues driving some headphones with the X7 and original Magni. These werent exactly hard to drive either (K702 Annie's). X7 to me is more future proof, as it would drive most headphones without issue at all.

Sometimes it's hard to gauge interest in something until you try it. Dipping your toe (cheapest option) is for many the default choice, which makes sense. X7 is just a lot more versatile, and an end game setup for many. The Mixamp will leave many wanting more after a while if you're serious into audio. That's my 2 cents anyway.

I read their response as the stream out did not amplify the signal since it is intended to go into broadcasting program like OBS. Is my understanding of that incorrect? I am still trying to navigate my way through all of this so I apologize if I sound uneducated. I have both the Xbox one X and the PS4 Pro. With the Xbox, I have the Dolby Atmos for headphones enabled so I can use any DAC/AMP solution, correct? It is the PS4 that is problematic. I guess in just put extra cash upfront will save me headaches down the road.

Either way, I guess the X7 will be a better solution for either console since I can just turn off SBX if I enjoy Atmos more

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #40,304 of 48,562
I have the mixamp pro (non tr) and a HRT iStreamer dac running to the mp3 port of the mixamp. The mixamp outputs to a SubPac s2 and then terminates at my ath-a900x.
I had a Fiio e12 but didn’t think it was a worthy addition for my setup.

Sounds and feels great.

And I’m always gaming with a party of people so the second chat mixer knob is crucial on the mixamp. The sound blaster x7 doesn’t seem to have that capability, unless you use the software? Maybe e3 they will announce something new!?

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #40,305 of 48,562
I have the mixamp pro (non tr) and a HRT iStreamer dac running to the mp3 port of the mixamp. The mixamp outputs to a SubPac s2 and then terminates at my ath-a900x.
I had a Fiio e12 but didn’t think it was a worthy addition for my setup.

Sounds and feels great.

And I’m always gaming with a party of people so the second chat mixer knob is crucial on the mixamp. The sound blaster x7 doesn’t seem to have that capability, unless you use the software? Maybe e3 they will announce something new!?

You can you a phone app if you don't feel like being tethered to a PC for X7 controls. Yes, I prefer the physical controls for all these things, but the X7 does have every option necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back