Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 19, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #39,211 of 48,562
Hey guys

I'm looking to buy some new headphones, maybe the K712 pro's or HD650 or something else, haven't fully decided yet.
Together with the headphones I want a Dac/Amp.

I'm debating whether to go with the Astro mixamp together with a headphone Amp, or go with a proper Dac/Amp combo.
Would going the Astro route degrade the sound quality, over let’s say a Schiit stack, or is it about the same sound wise?

The reason I would like to go with the Astro is the option to mix between game/music volume and chat volume, which I use a lot with my current A50's.
The Dolby Surround is not a must, so I have no problem giving that up. But not to have the option to mix the audio is somewhat a big loss for me.
Creative X7 + Creative BT-W2 and You're set.

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #39,213 of 48,562
Thanks for you feedback.

With the X7 wouldn’t I lose the hardware mixing capability though? and only be able to do it via Windows Volume Mixer?

Would the purpose of the Creative BT-W2 be to run the X7 via BT and ditch the cables to the PC? or do you have another purpose in mind?
You still have the X7 internal mixer available. Bt-w2 has several purposes. It can be used to add console voice chat capability to x7 or just as an extra usb input on pc.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #39,214 of 48,562
Look who's back after a very long hiatus... I've got some stuff to review now, even if I haven't rewritten that very old PC gaming audio guide like I wanted to.

It'll take me a while to form my impressions on the new gear, though.

X7 is something I looked at and was interested in for gaming.
But now I have both the Ossic X and Realiser A16 incoming.
Look those up, they might be of interest to you albeit at very different prices.
Wait. Back up a moment. You have the Ossic X en route?

Needless to say, like all the other Kickstarter backers, I've been waiting a very long time for them to deliver. My "Kickstarter battlestation" feels a bit incomplete without it, given that I already got a new keyboard (Kinesis Freestyle Edge) and mouse (Swiftpoint Z) from other backed projects this year. I'm also not keen on the whole "microUSB only out of the box" thing when we're already well into the age of USB-C on smartphones (and a lot of manufacturers think it's a brilliant idea to remove perfectly useful options like the 3.5mm TRRS headphone jack).

I can manage for the time being, though. All I need is my X-Fi Titanium HD and Sennheiser PC360, really. The Ossic X is more of a matter of curiosity than anything.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #39,215 of 48,562
Look who's back after a very long hiatus... I've got some stuff to review now, even if I haven't rewritten that very old PC gaming audio guide like I wanted to.

It'll take me a while to form my impressions on the new gear, though.

Wait. Back up a moment. You have the Ossic X en route?

Needless to say, like all the other Kickstarter backers, I've been waiting a very long time for them to deliver. My "Kickstarter battlestation" feels a bit incomplete without it, given that I already got a new keyboard (Kinesis Freestyle Edge) and mouse (Swiftpoint Z) from other backed projects this year. I'm also not keen on the whole "microUSB only out of the box" thing when we're already well into the age of USB-C on smartphones (and a lot of manufacturers think it's a brilliant idea to remove perfectly useful options like the 3.5mm TRRS headphone jack).

I can manage for the time being, though. All I need is my X-Fi Titanium HD and Sennheiser PC360, really. The Ossic X is more of a matter of curiosity than anything.

Same here, curiosity. I'm fine with my phones iin stereo for games for now and the Realiser is where I put my bet on for games and movies.
I have been waiting for a long time for both now but they should both be coming in before the end of the year.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #39,217 of 48,562
Damn, and here I thought we'd finally gotten rid of you for good. :wink:

Welcome back, friend.
Don't worry, you and the others didn't scare me off or anything. I just found out what I wanted along this crazy audiophile journey and had to keep out of here for my wallet's sake. Otherwise, I'd probably still be sinking hundreds, if not thousands into Stax setups, maybe with a Smyth Realiser on top. Oh, and I really need to order a replacement driver or two for my MMX 300 already so I have a fallback in case something happens to my PC360.

What actually brought me back, though, was the sudden opportunity to review some Sennheiser gear - specifically the GAME ZERO headset (a closed-back version of the PC360/GAME ONE, from what I can tell) and the GSX 1000 USB "sound card" (DAC, ADC, and driverless 7.1 surround DSP, all in one plug-and-play unit). I need more time to form some solid impressions on both pieces of gear before I go writing anything up, though.

I would've also come back if I had the Ossic X to review, but yeah, I'm still waiting on that one, just like everybody else.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #39,218 of 48,562
@ MAD LUST ENVY, Thank you for this Astounding Review , very well done. May i ask your opinion Or anyone else's I'm very interested in making a Purchase of Either the Shure SRH1540's or the SRH1840's . I ,am a Gamer of First person shooters mainly, on PC only
and a youtube content Creator, I also Truly enjoy my music tunes and creations on my Daw software . Would you suggest one over the other, I'm not a pro gamer yet a very competitive public gamer. Any and all Sincere input would be greatly Appreciated .

Thank you all Matt J.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #39,219 of 48,562
@ MAD LUST ENVY, Thank you for this Astounding Review , very well done. May i ask your opinion Or anyone else's I'm very interested in making a Purchase of Either the Shure SRH1540's or the SRH1840's . I ,am a Gamer of First person shooters mainly, on PC only
and a youtube content Creator, I also Truly enjoy my music tunes and creations on my Daw software . Would you suggest one over the other, I'm not a pro gamer yet a very competitive public gamer. Any and all Sincere input would be greatly Appreciated .

Thank you all Matt J.
As an SRH1840 owner I have to warn You. Do not buy these if You listen to bassy music or enjoy bass in general. While the quality of thecbass on these is pretty good, the quantity leaves a lot to be desired.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #39,220 of 48,562
Looking for a bit more advice/guidance please guys - have moved exclusively to Xbox One gaming now and looking at a change of headphone.

Currently running the Sennheiser Game One via the controller with Windows Sonic enabled. Dolby Atmos also purchased for the games that fully support it (Gears of War 4 so far I think). Thing is I don't find the Senns as comfy as I'd like - pads feel a tad narrow for me.

Using the console in the lounge so lack of messy cables etc a bonus hence using the controller so far. I have a VModa Boom Mic I could use and so far torn between the following:-

1. Phillips SHP9500/AKG702 (I have a XLR to 3.5mm adaptor for the VModa). Have owned both of these before. AKG my preference but would the controller have the muscle to drive them properly (I used a Creative G5 via PS4 before). Would a Mixamp TR be enough for the 702 as I really only want the one cable if possible. Maybe Fidelio X2 considered also?

2. Astro A50 (Gen 3 Refrub) or Razer Thresher (not Ultimate) - purely for the wireless convenience - I know these are probably closed back which I normally don't like but if they sound half decent maybe the convenience would compensate? Would use Windows Sonic/Dolby Atmos with either so turning off the 7.1 on the Astro.

Any tips appreciated please - or any alternatives up to the £150 approx mark.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #39,221 of 48,562
Hey guys I’ve got a modmic I used for one day while I waited for my headphones to come in the mail. It’s got a mic mute switch and 3.5mm termination. Looking to put it up for sale on the forums but don’t know what category or price. Any recommendations?

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #39,222 of 48,562
Looking for a bit more advice/guidance please guys - have moved exclusively to Xbox One gaming now and looking at a change of headphone.
Currently running the Sennheiser Game One via the controller with Windows Sonic enabled. Dolby Atmos also purchased for the games that fully support it (Gears of War 4 so far I think). Thing is I don't find the Senns as comfy as I'd like - pads feel a tad narrow for me.
Using the console in the lounge so lack of messy cables etc a bonus hence using the controller so far. I have a VModa Boom Mic I could use and so far torn between the following:-
1. Phillips SHP9500/AKG702 (I have a XLR to 3.5mm adaptor for the VModa). Have owned both of these before. AKG my preference but would the controller have the muscle to drive them properly (I used a Creative G5 via PS4 before). Would a Mixamp TR be enough for the 702 as I really only want the one cable if possible. Maybe Fidelio X2 considered also?
2. Astro A50 (Gen 3 Refrub) or Razer Thresher (not Ultimate) - purely for the wireless convenience - I know these are probably closed back which I normally don't like but if they sound half decent maybe the convenience would compensate? Would use Windows Sonic/Dolby Atmos with either so turning off the 7.1 on the Astro.
Any tips appreciated please - or any alternatives up to the £150 approx mark.

Maybe trying different ear pads might improve the comfort of the GameOne headphones?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Softer-Pro...515-555-595-518-HD558-Headphones/251893482550
Cheaper then buying new headphones.

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #39,223 of 48,562
Maybe trying different ear pads might improve the comfort of the GameOne headphones?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Softer-Pro...515-555-595-518-HD558-Headphones/251893482550
Cheaper then buying new headphones.

Thanks for the suggestion. Really not a fan of pleather/leather pads though.

Think the problem is the Senn ear cups are oval and quite narrow and the clamp fairly high. I had minor surgery near my ear and think bigger round pads would sit bettwr in that area.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #39,224 of 48,562
All right, I'm done with work for tonight, and the weekend's finally here.

Who's down for a Destiny 2 stream soon? I'll set it up so that you all can listen to the Sennheiser GSX 1000's virtual 7.1 mix in action. I may stream other games, but Destiny 2's the main one on my mind since work and other obligations keep getting in the way of me making progress on the recently-released PC version. Kinda hoping to team up with a couple of my friends (whom I largely bought the game just to co-op with) while I'm at it, too.

I'm hoping that Twitch and NVIDIA ShadowPlay keep the audio quality intact enough for people to form good impressions, at any rate. There's a good reason that I want to show this off.

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #39,225 of 48,562
All right, I'm done with work for tonight, and the weekend's finally here.

Who's down for a Destiny 2 stream soon? I'll set it up so that you all can listen to the Sennheiser GSX 1000's virtual 7.1 mix in action.
What's your twitch stream? Got a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back