Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 7, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #41,822 of 48,566
Hi Guys.
Got my Sound Blaster X G6, AKG K702s and Mod Mic today. Hooked up to PS4.
Just 2 questions.
1. Linear PCM, Dolby bitstream or DTS bitstream for PS4 output?
2. Any way to disable sidetone all together but still have mic working? Hate sound of my voice I'm my own ears lol.
P.s. thanks for the Guide Mad Lust helped make my choices easier!!
Cheers. Z
I'm guessing you have the SB X G6 connected to the PS4's optical output port (and USB for power).
So far I can't find a info showing the SB X G6 supports DTS, so no support for DTS Bit-streaming.
So for surround sound, looks like you need to use the PS4's Dolby Bit-streaming.
For 2-chaanel stereo audio, set PS4's audio to Liner PCM.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #41,824 of 48,566
Hi Guys.

First post here.

Just 2 questions.

2. Any way to disable sidetone all together but still have mic working? Hate sound of my voice im my own ears lol.

Cheers. Z

1. Dolby

2. Press and hold volume knob for 2 sec to switch between playback volume and Sidetone. When in sidetone control, press once to mute sidetone.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #41,825 of 48,566
1. Dolby

2. Press and hold volume knob for 2 sec to switch between playback volume and Sidetone. When in sidetone control, press once to mute sidetone.

You are an absolute legend. Mainly for #2!!!!!

Thought id have to get used to my own voice.

If this was reddit I'd give you gold. Have some positive vibes n well wishes!!!

Thank you

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #41,826 of 48,566
You are an absolute legend. Mainly for #2!!!!!

Thought id have to get used to my own voice.

If this was reddit I'd give you gold. Have some positive vibes n well wishes!!!

Thank you

No problem. I also did not like the sidetone with G6 so I just turned it off.

All the PS4 settings should be:

Primary sound output ‘Digital Out’ (Optical) with a format of ‘Dolby Digital 5.1ch,’ under Audio Format - ‘Bitstream’ (Dolby)

Audio Devices --> Output to headphones’ is on ‘Chat.’

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #41,827 of 48,566
G6 dont have RCA, i need RCAs for active speakers. As u say ill try find something else, but it must be rly good for buy in next New Year) much better then Creative :wink:

Btw can u send me to correct topic for searchs desktop dac amp, its a hard to travel here with my low eng)

It has a 3.5mm output. You can easily buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable literally everywhere. People who think RCA is better than 3.5mm fail to realize that unless the device in questiuon keeps right and left separate ALL the way through the chain (most will join at a later stage), they essentially well end up joining somewhere down the line.

I don't know where the Creative hate is coming from, but if your memor of them is from 10 years ago, it is avastly outdated.

10 years ago Vizio was a garbage company. Nowadays, they release some of the very best televisions in the business, at a very good price.

Never bash a company based on outdated perceptions.

Creative has some seriously stupid good gear like the X7 nowadays.

I sold off my X6 and nowadays am just fine with the G6.

I use the G6 sending an optical signal to my Mixamp 5.8. Zero issues. Beforte anyone asks, it's because the Mixamp 5.8 can't do virtual surround for my PC, which is my main use, so I just have the G6 send SBX surround to y 5.8 (Dolby Headphone button off, obviously as SBX is already doing surround).

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #41,828 of 48,566
Hi Guys.

First post here.

Just 2 questions.

2. Any way to disable sidetone all together but still have mic working? Hate sound of my voice im my own ears lol.

Cheers. Z
To get the g6 to work properly on ps4 make sure you plug it in to the optical port for sound and usb for chat.

As for setting:
•Digital out (Optical) -> Dolby Digital 5.1ch

•Audio Format (Priority) -> Bitstream (Dolby)

•Output to Headphones -> Chat Audio

To turn off the sidetone hold the volume button down till the white ring turns red then quick press it again to turn off sidetone. The light that indicates a mic input on the side of the g6 should be blinking.

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #41,829 of 48,566
Yes connected to optical out of ps4 n set to send the G6 that way.
Ok great so Dolby Bitstream is best yeah?
Sorry I'm a newb. Its only one that lit up the Dolby symbol on the G6 so assumed so. Thanks.
For S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) Bitstream (compressed audio) passes digital audio thru, is limited to 24-bit/48K and up to 6-channels (5.1)
If you do not Bitstream and are listening to the PS4's audio in stereo (2.0), if you set PS4's audio to Liner PCM (2-channel), you get 24-bit/96k, or maybe even 24-bit/192k audio.
So if watching a Blu-ray movie (in 2.0 audio) or using a Hi-res music CD (24-bit/96K or higher), switch to Liner PCM.

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #41,830 of 48,566
It has a 3.5mm output. You can easily buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable literally everywhere. People who think RCA is better than 3.5mm fail to realize that unless the device in questiuon keeps right and left separate ALL the way through the chain (most will join at a later stage), they essentially well end up joining somewhere down the line.

I don't know where the Creative hate is coming from, but if your memor of them is from 10 years ago, it is avastly outdated.

10 years ago Vizio was a garbage company. Nowadays, they release some of the very best televisions in the business, at a very good price.

I use the G6 sending an optical signal to my Mixamp 5.8. Zero issues. Beforte anyone asks, it's because the Mixamp 5.8 can't do virtual surround for my PC, which is my main use, so I just have the G6 send SBX surround to y 5.8 (Dolby Headphone button off, obviously as SBX is already doing surround).
Well, they still didn't learn how to write stable drivers. Or how to write Linux drivers. Or how to keep in touch with their community (when was the last time Creative rep replied on the X7 or G5 thread?). Don't get me wrong they improved a lot when it comes to hardware but there is still room for improvement.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #41,831 of 48,566

Ye i alrdy get info about 2xRca to 3.5mm Y cable! =) Very helpfull! Thanks to illram ) And awesome thread dude, rly big good work.

And like Yethal says, they cant make drivers.
I cant be even sure what they will support any of their corrent divice after 1 or 2 years. I was like a vooodoooDancer then i want ASIO 2.0 on Win 7 then its just release.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #41,832 of 48,566
They've made plenty of drivers that fixed a lot of complaints. From the X7 to the G6.

The X7 had driver fixes waaaaaay after release. Remember NOT having SBX being piped through the optical and analog out? I sure do. They added that way down the line. They certainly didn't have to. No one else does that. Creative did. That wasn't a feature that was there for likely the first 1-2 years.

So to say they don't listen to the community, I don't believe that, because it was the community that begged for things like that.

Nothing is perfect, and they still have ways to go, obviously, but it's not like they completely abandon their products on initial release.

As for Linux... well, I'd assume they are targeting the biggest markets first and foremost.

Not saying there aren't Linux users, but Linux users that also happen to own a niche product like the X7, that may be something not worth investing the capital for, when the userbase is too small. Business, I guess. Just an assumption, mind you. I seriously don't know.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #41,833 of 48,566
In other news, you guys hear about the new Kingston Cloud Orbit planarmagnetic headset coming out?

Audeze Mobius as the base. That's insane. This is going to be huge for Audeze. Kingston is VERY well known in the mass market.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #41,834 of 48,566
Hi Mad Lust Envy,

I'm currently upgrading my headphones but don't know exactly which one to pick. I'm playing mostly FPS games (CS.GO, PUBG,...) My budget is 100-200€. I read your reviews and i'm deciding between Sennheiser HD598 or 599 / 110 AKG K701 (K702) / AKG K712 Pro , since they got best reviees for competitive gaming. Now i have Logitech G430 but i'm not satisfied with the volume and sound. I'm also thinking about getting AMP - Sound Blaster G6 or maybe Senheiser GSX 1200. Which one do you recommend? Are AKG 712 worth 100€ more than AKG K701? Should i get only AMP and keep my G430? Thx for the help.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #41,835 of 48,566
Hi Mad Lust Envy,

I'm currently upgrading my headphones but don't know exactly which one to pick. I'm playing mostly FPS games (CS.GO, PUBG,...) My budget is 100-200€. I read your reviews and I'm deciding between Sennheiser HD598 or 599 / 110 AKG K701 (K702) / AKG K712 Pro , since they got best reviews for competitive gaming. Now i have Logitech G430 but I'm not satisfied with the volume and sound. I'm also thinking about getting AMP - Sound Blaster G6 or maybe Sennheiser GSX 1200. Which one do you recommend? Are AKG 712 worth 100€ more than AKG K701? Should i get only AMP and keep my G430? Thx for the help.
For FPS gaming, I would go with the Sound Blaster X G6 and HD598/HD599 (personal preference).
The AKG K701/K712 are more power hungry, but would assume(?) the SB X G6 could still drive them.
I'm sure the K701/K712 would be fine for FPS gaming and the K712 would be great for music.

Assuming your gaming on a Windows PC, what is the make and model of the motherboard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back