Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #31,906 of 48,566
I've ended up with ordering the JVC HA-RX700 and the Sound Blaster Omni. Again, thanks for this wonderful topic, thanks to the people who gave me opinions and advice, and in particularly, thank you Evshrug!

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #31,907 of 48,566
Any thought on running decent (eg Senn RS 185) wireless cans being fed via a surround headphone dac?

Am tipping they'd run the effects fine, but I really haven't heard of them being used for surround gaming.

Is there a bit of lag there, does the HRTF get lost or do the Turtle Beach, Razor etc options for wireless gaming do something right (as far as it goes)?

Voice chat would be hard to implement without wires, but solo play on the couch with no wires and decent cans would be very nice.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #31,908 of 48,566
Hmm, interesting thought.
I know one pair of closed Sennheiser home wireless headphones comes with it's own surround processing, but that processing has only had "meh" reviews and I haven't seen anyone say it helps them pinpoint front/back locations.

However, you were talking about something like Console>DSS>RS185. And sure, that could work pretty well. If the headphone does imaging well, doesn't have particularly strong sound coloration, does have good mids clarity and treble extension, then it ought to be a good gamer with surround. I'd say comfort is a very big important thing for gamers, wireless helps a bit but weight, pads, and clamping force are important too.

The possible sound bottlenecks would be the fact that the wireless base station would have to be connected to the DSP (such as a turtle beach DSS) via the analog headphone jack, then the base station would have to convert the signal back to digital before zapping it through the wireless. Just might be slightly less crisp than a straight analogue wired connection.

Two ways to keep it digital till the sound reaches your headphones: play games on a steam box or other TV PC, and use one of the plethora of options with processed digital outs ($25-$60), or connect a Creative X7 ($400) with What U Hear to a PC ($? Extra electric bill) and connect the base station transmitter to any optical out (such as the one on the X7). In case you're wondering "Why is it this way???" the answer is DRM and licensing issues, particularly with Dolby

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #31,909 of 48,566
http://www.pcgamer.com/logitech-launches-g633-and-g933-artemis-spectrum-71-headsets/

Going to leave this hear for all of you to read...

Logitechs new gaming headset....

The kicker is....they do a side by side comparison with the HD600.....

Umm..what?!

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #31,912 of 48,566
Oops I meant to say HD650 not HD600. But yeah, it seems like it did well...unless they paid them journalists to say such things lol.

I'm willing to bet this thread on Head-fi has been seen by a lot of people around the world that companies like Logitech, Asus,and other companies are really reading what the customer wants and therefore make a product that can still cater to gamers with that "gamer tag" And sound really good at the same time.

I still love my AKG K7XX and Fidelio X2 though :)

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #31,917 of 48,566
http://www.pcgamer.com/logitech-launches-g633-and-g933-artemis-spectrum-71-headsets/

Going to leave this hear for all of you to read...

Logitechs new gaming headset....

The kicker is....they do a side by side comparison with the HD600.....

Umm..what?!

Why do pr0mlggaming headsets have to include LED lighting on the cups? Is it mandatory to look like a ******* clown in order to play competitive?

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #31,918 of 48,566
HD650 is a love it or hate it headphone (I feel the classic mid-fi gods all are like this). Even saying that, I fall more in line towards loving it, simply because its luscious, velvety, rich sound is something that wouldn't ever tire me out. There is definitely better in it's price range, but they will end up being used less due to ear fatigue, or something or other. Pairing that all day smoothness with that stellar midrange, and post stretch comfort... it's definitely one of the stand out headphones for me. I just wish it wasn't so picky with amping, and more sensitive so I could use it with anything.

If I had to choose between the HD650, K701/2, DT880 as far as the legends go, the HD650 is definitely far and above towards my preferences than the K70x. The DT880 is an excellent headphone, but I feel I'd rather opt for the DT990 as my Beyer of choice instead. That leaves me with the 650 as the one I'd be happy to use for all purposes, even though it isn't the best at any one thing (though certainly master class in the vocal midrange).

Today's headphone landscape is filled with a lot more killers in mid-fi, so the 650, 880, and K70x are no longer held in the same prestige as before. I'd choose a K702 Annie as a HD650 replacement, an X2 as a DT880 replacement, though I haven't heard anything to directly replace the K701/2 as that airy, clarity focused headphone. Let's not forget the Hifiman stuff that I'm sure would trade blows and surpass these in certain aspects.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #31,919 of 48,566
Besides PS4-specific headsets with USB dongles/base stations, are there any options for using a headset + mic on a PS4 WITHOUT plugging into the PS4 controller?  I mainly play Street Fighter and I have a custom controller that doesn't have the 3.5mm plug.  It seems like I'd have to get the Playstation Gold headset or something along those lines if I want a headset with mic to work on the PS4, but I want to confirm that.

Thanks

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #31,920 of 48,566
In my opinion, it's not that difficult to sound better than the HD650.

Shots fired!
The HD650 is a technically good headphone, but obviously colored for a specific sound. If you don't like that specific sound or it doesn't match well with the kind of audio you're listening to, then someone could prefer a Koss earclip headphone over it.

I'd like to hear one someday, but I doubt I'd keep one in my collection (unless wealth happens! (Wealth without becoming a pompous egocentric ****)).

HD650 is a love it or hate it headphone (I feel the classic mid-fi gods all are like this). Even saying that, I fall more in line towards loving it, simply because its luscious, velvety, rich sound is something that wouldn't ever tire me out. There is definitely better in it's price range, but they will end up being used less due to ear fatigue, or something or other. Pairing that all day smoothness with that stellar midrange, and post stretch comfort... it's definitely one of the stand out headphones for me. I just wish it wasn't so picky with amping, and more sensitive so I could use it with anything.

I think you'd be pleased with the Oppo PM-2 if you think of the above. It doesn't sound as "thick," but it has a very clear but intimate midrange, good bass extension (but not colored towards a boost, so it shows in audio that asks for it in a satisfying way but doesn't bloom over music intended to have air and lightness), and fast treble with no glare, slightly (but evenly) darkened to be fatigue free without the veil problems. Super amping-efficient too, so NOT amp picky... I'm not just talking about how Planars don't have sensitivity to output impedance, I mean it's also very full-sounding even from an iPhone's amp!

Basically, you can forget your worries about fatigue and amp matching, Plus velour pad option!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back