[kiteki review] - Hifiman RE0 / RE252 / RE272 versus other IEM's (post #153)
Aug 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #91 of 155
Quote:
That wouldn't be a very efficient solution.

Sure, you're being facetious, I get that.
rolleyes.gif

Still, it doesn't mean there isn't a flaw here. Needing 1000 is just silly.

Well, that's just life. Nothing is perfect and we all need to be patient sometimes. But good things come to those who wait.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #92 of 155

Quote:
[...]
Still, it doesn't mean there isn't a flaw here. Needing 1000 is just silly.

Quote:

Well, that's just life. Nothing is perfect and we all need to be patient sometimes. But good things come to those who wait.
rolleyes.gif

Right.

And yet... you're saying if I burn these in constantly until my RE272's arrive and don't hear a difference "oh well it's all highly subjective anyway"

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #93 of 155
Quote:
It's not with speakers, why should it be with IEM's?

I don't go to the cinema with a friend and they say "man these speakers need to be burnt in, jeez that THX surround is god-awful"

Fit, source, music... With speakers we listen to the same music out of the same source and the sound is not affected by fit. With IEMs, they fit people differently due to different tips used, different size and shape of ear canals. People listen to different music and of different bitrate. people use different sources and each source has different characteristics that affect the sound of IEMs in different ways. Etc.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #95 of 155
It's true that IEMs are highly subjective, due to physical (and emotional heh) differences between each listener. But it's also true that if there really is a difference, surely some measurement must be possible to show it? If not FR, then can not other aspects be measured? If clarity is due to speed, for example, can that not be measured?

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #96 of 155
Quote:
Right.

And yet... you're saying if I burn these in constantly until my RE272's arrive and don't hear a difference "oh well it's all highly subjective anyway"

Well, good things come to those who wait means that they come to some of those who wait, not to everyone. But if you wait, you at least have a chance to get something you wouldn't be able to if you didn't wait.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #97 of 155

Quote:

Fit, source, music... With speakers we listen to the same music out of the same source and the sound is not affected by fit. With IEMs, they fit people differently due to different tips used, different size and shape of ear canals. People listen to different music and of different bitrate. people use different sources and each source has different characteristics that affect the sound of IEMs in different ways. Etc.

The difference in sound achieved by fit, source and bitrate is minimal compared to the difference in sound when comparing one IEM to another, for instance a Hifiman to a Shure to an Etymotic.

I agree that a purist jazz listener and a purist techno listener will rate things differently (and thus subjectively), I can also agree that what we're used to will have an impact on the next endeavour, since we're comparing to what we're used to (in sound), however I don't buy any of that fit, source and especially bitrate stuff.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #98 of 155
Quote:
The difference in sound achieved by fit, source and bitrate is minimal compared to the difference in sound when comparing one IEM to another, for instance a Hifiman to a Shure to an Etymotic.

I agree that a purist jazz listener and a purist techno listener will rate things differently (and thus subjectively), I can also agree that what we're used to will have an impact on the next endeavour, since we're comparing to what we're used to (in sound), however I don't buy any of that fit, source and especially bitrate stuff.

I don't mean to be an a-hole, but where is the IMO? Or do you have proof of this?

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #99 of 155
Heh, sorry, I'm still thinking about 1000 hours.

So if I listened to them the for four hours a day, say five days a week, this would be my listening time while at work. Let's also say that I only have two weeks of vacation a year, hypothetically.

Doing that, they'd be at their best in 1000 hours / 4 hours a day / 5 days / week + 2 weeks vacation = exactly 1 year after purchase. And that's if I'm diligent. And also presuming they don't break in the meantime.

One year after purchase.

Yeah.

lulz

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #100 of 155
Well, but you can also burn them in while not listening to them. Just make it a habit to leave them playing out of your DAP overnight every night before you go to bed. Let's say you sleep 6 hours on average and burn them in while you sleep everyday. Plus, you will also listen to them for a few hours a week. Thus you should be able to put 1000 hours on them or more in less than 5 months.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #101 of 155
That's certainly true.

Or, I could set up a schedule. Run them for 5 hours on, 1 hour off, 4 times a day. That's 20 hours a day, and if I keep at it over the weekends as well, they'll be ready to go in just over 7 weeks!

Joking aside, I'm sure they're quite enjoyable even before they hit their peak. And for eighty bucks, who's complaining? I will pick them up one day and see for myself.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #102 of 155
Yes, even out of the box RE0 already sounds brilliant for the price.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #103 of 155
I don't feel like commenting further on this "1000 hour burn-in" and "IEM's are highly subjective due to source, fit and bitrate".

You asked me to put an IMO after "The sky is blue", I can evidence my claim but I don't feel it necessary to dignify your provocative voodoo.

I'm going back to listening and I'll let other users chip in instead, THX... either that or soon I'm going to want to burn my entire FLAC collection (not talking about CD's).

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #104 of 155
The newer RE0s are supposed to burn-in in less time than the previous generations according to Fang, (namely 1-3?) but I think 800 hours was what the first two generations actually took, more or less.
Edit: Also, it's not that big of a difference.

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #105 of 155
I don't feel like commenting further on this "1000 hour burn-in" and "IEM's are highly subjective due to source, fit and bitrate".
IEMs are not subjective, they can't be, however, your impressions are, yours and Pianist's. If you don't enjoy interpretative discussion, then let's just stick to discussing FR, IR and square wave response whenever this data is available, there are just too many factors otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back