[kiteki review] - Hifiman RE0 / RE252 / RE272 versus other IEM's (post #153)
Aug 27, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #123 of 155
Hi Kiteki, Gald you received these and they looks good (please tell us your first impression about these include soundquality
wink_face.gif
).

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #124 of 155
Hi Zarim.

My first impression is the box is really sweet, when you open it the hinge feels like a car door, the hinges are covered with a soft fabric.

The ceiling is a soft foam that reminds me of Bonzai plants, the same texture as that foam... that you can grow Bonzai plants in...

The base of the box is nicely lined.

If only the gold lock on the front was authentic (it reminds me of a kids toy) and the leather on the outside of the box was real leather, this box would be good enough for a several thousand dollar watch.

The RE272 themselves have a nice finish, a nice sheen and colour, I'm not exactly sure what the colour is... champagne?

There's a very small vent at the back of the 272, the nozzle looks like decent quality, overall the RE272's feel good and are presented very nicely, I just wish the lock on the box was stainless steel, copper, bronze, real gold etc.... and not that cheap feeling, and they should have treated the fake leather to make it smell nice, you know like that "new car smell".

The included cables all feel quite supple, they feel like decent quality and they're all gold plated, better than a radioshack cable, but not quite like a thick and supple Sony cable, for example.

The cable of the RE272 is thin, coarse, and (ugh..) very short, if I had it connected directly to my laptop, I'd have to lean forward all the time.

I prefer long cables and - luckily - when you use both cable extensions included, the length becomes around 2.0M, that's enough so I can connect them to my stationary amp, and move around with a little freedom.

It also comes with a shirt clip, replacement filters (10), two silicone clear bi-flange tips (the same as the RE0 ones I think) and three black tips, which appear to be sized M, S and XS.

I really like the nozzles on these, and the colour of the shell is simply awesome, it's like a silvery grey brown champagne lilac... I love the look of them.

All I could ask for is a thicker, much longer, nicer feeling cable without the balanced termination (as an option, for example with the K2 SP you can select your cable length and termination), and also that they didn't cut corners here and there, I'd like a proper bronze padlock, real leather case, and the nozzles to be made out of real silver, up the price $40 for all this and it'd feel closer to a nice european watch that is not cutting corners here and there.

I think that sums up my first impressions analysis.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #126 of 155
I haven't turned on the music yet, and I won't do so today since I'm a bit restless and busy, but with the tips in the above picture, I'm using these over-ear and I'm getting a very nice deep pleasant fit, not sure about isolation, I can hear a helicoptre outside, and if I lightly scratch my jeans I can hear it, and if I lightly type on the keyboard I can just very faintly hear it, I guess isolation is average, not sure, it's not important to me, they just feel pleasant, similiar to CK10, complete total opposite of the Etyrapic ER-4.

On closer inspection the cable of the RE272 does have a few folds and creases in it, which reminds me of the E888 cable, however not quite as folded as the E888 cable, and this cable is a bit coarse (friction), where the E888 cable is smooth.

when connecting the extensions there's a nice clicky fit, not quite as hard-clicking as I'd like, but not loose either, just a good click.

Not sure if there's much left to cover.

Hehehe I'd like to start listening to these now, but I'll resist until I'm in a more audio lusting mode, and I want to listen to the exact same tracks on my speakers, the UE700 and the RE252 before I listen to these, so I have a fresh feeling of how they stack up.

That's all for today thanks for reading :)

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #127 of 155
ok ok ok... (couldn't resist)

Immediate first impressions (only classical, baroque, violin etc.)

- Handel

- Vivaldi

1. These could be the casual classical music listeners IEM's.

2. There is very little stridency or sibilance in these, there is very little emphasis in the highs, I can (at this moment) not detect any stridency at all, the nature of the highs (above 6kHz..) is softer and nicer than the CK10, ER-4, UE700.

3. The refinement and "romanticism" in their sound reminds me of the EX1000's, along with their sensi. tivity, they pick up hiss and minute hardware noises from my T51, for example. 

4. These are extremely accurate with violin overtones.

5. These are really fast, they also lack decay (such as ER-4S decay), the notes end very quickly, which is (once again) very good with violins, at the end of Vivaldi L'Inverno part III (Janine Jansen) when there's a violent flurry of notes, it's easy to perceive each note.
Further, even on max volume from my T51, the stridency of the violin is fine, there is no glass-like piercing, there is no shrill, there is no sibalance, there is definition.

6. The details are not served to you on a silver platter (such as with SA-5000), there is no euphoria in the music (such as with A2000X), these are simply highly accurate, the sound is just "there".

7. Involvement is quite low, but much higher than K2 SP, and higher than my old Stax SR-404 S.  Technical appreciation is high (and thus, captivation), not as transparent as the Stax, although alluding to the same type of transparent sound.

8. Imaging and soundspace isn't striking, but isn't low either, a fairly OK balance between intimacy (very close seductive soundspace) and too much soundspace (as per EX600 lol).
The way the "air" is presented, along with the slightly vague imaging, reminds me of the sound you get at a movie theatre... you know, a cinema. (naturally not in distance, but in presentation)

9. As far as enjoyment is concerned, taking EX600 and UE700 into account, those are more invigorating, these are more refined, I'd give these to a Chinese fisherman or a businessman that listened to classical music on long trips, I'd give the EX600 to a teenage punk that's wants his music to sound exciting, UE700 is somewhere (in a nice spot) inbetween the two.

Well, all of the above is just from listening to classical, these nullify the stridency of violins, and increase the definition, they're also very quick, ending notes sharply, it's a bit hard to "get into" the music, but I'm listening to it intenlty, perhaps impressed by their technical fidelity and transparency, or perhaps allured by the demasking of violin stridency, like the string is a little bit more naked, and I can hear it at max volume, it's like I was listening to HTML before, and now I can hear source code :D

Well these have lifted my spirits a bit... now it's time to see how these respond to Electronica, Nirvana, Garagerock etc, I'm not hard to impress, but for what I like they are a bit dazzling, I'm going to get a glass of red wine and have some fun listening to my music now.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #130 of 155
10. Either I'm acclimatized to bright gear, or people aren't hearing these correctly, these are not bright IEM's, they are transparent, analytical and breezy, I find there's very little accentuation in the highs, and harmonic distortion is very close to none.

I'm not sure if this is technically correct, but I feel like the mids have free roaming overtones, and the highs have completely free undercurrents, the mids and the highs are harmonious, if you try to look for distortion, or harmonic distortion (talking about EX700 type sound) you'll have a really hard time, in a sense it feels like the EX700 and RE272 are related to eachother in their sound, there really is a similiarity, but the EX700 is the rough and tough brother, and the RE272 is the delicate and unphased sister.

11. I haven't said a single word about the bass yet, because there's not much to say! Lol.

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #131 of 155
Quote:
10. Either I'm acclimatized to bright gear, or people aren't hearing these correctly, these are not bright IEM's, they are transparent, analytical and breezy, I find there's very little accentuation in the highs, and harmonic distortion is very close to none.

They are not bright at all. Next to CK10, they are actually much softer in the presentation (point me an area where RE272 is 'too much'
wink.gif
). Do you feel anything strange due to the 2Khz spikes by any chance? (I did not).

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #132 of 155
12. Doing some bass testing now... just put on some "Ryoji Ikeda"... his 'music' is usually termed as "sonic art" more than music, it's just a bunch of sounds... Lol. Anyway I'm listening to a track called "1111101111.mp3" which has intense amounts of 60Hz and lower sub-bass, and I can hear it! These are actually not that bad at sub-bass, I'm impressed, but not as impressed as the fact I can hear background information in this track I haven't heard previously! It's like these are playing the sub-bass to me, and presenting a secret sound I haven't heard before, now that is impressive, since I've tested various IEM's with this track.
This track also has some annoying piercing high tones (usually), but they're not piercing this time 'round, the RE272 is not a piercing IEM! The highs are fine, really!  In a nutshell the highs are better than Etymotic, and lacking the "upfrontness" of Sony, they are just "there" without lacking or tacking, I'm so impressed I can listen to this ridiculous Ryoji Ikeda music, presented across the whole spectrum, delivering more fine information than I've percieved ever before, without any harshness anywhere, and with no sound eclipsing the other, the RE272 (in this instance) is in a different league than, than a lot of gear! Including my Fostex headphones, and naturally including the RE0 and RE252.
The only (very vivid) difference with "1111101111.mp3" and different gear, is speakers and a sub-woofer.... because on a sub-woofer, the sub-bass will be floor-shaking, of course the RE272 is nothing like that, but it is at the very least presenting me with more detail in the bass than my [cheap] sub-woofer presents, and most likely more detail than the ER-4S (even if the ER-4S presents equal or more detail than the RE272, the ER-4S has less sub-bass quality than the RE272)

Moving onto another bass [and detail] testing track "lvl. 4 - Angel Dust (2008 mix)"

Moved away from my Teclast T51 to my laptop headphone-jack to try this track via youtube.

Immediately something isn't right, now all of a sudden the sub-bass is very weak here, volume on max, the bass is a very light knocking at the door, and zero rumble in the intro.

Moving to my Sony gumstick... (where I have this track right now), the bass is acceptable again, not much rumble in the intro (compared to CK10), but when the main beat gets going, it sounds great, a winner for detail and trance?

Moving quickly back to my Teclast T51 and trying some trance there, bass levels are back to the "Ryoji ikeda" level, uh let's see if I can find it on youtube... yep here it is, check it out:

Even straight out of my laptop (with a clear lack of bass, not enough to get my foot tapping) this track still sounds teriffic on the RE272's, a winner for trance and detail! (and vocals, very neutral and breezy)

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #133 of 155
Quote:

I'm not sure if this is technically correct, but I feel like the mids have free roaming overtones, and the highs have completely free undercurrents, the mids and the highs are harmonious, if you try to look for distortion, or harmonic distortion (talking about EX700 type sound) you'll have a really hard time, in a sense it feels like the EX700 and RE272 are related to eachother in their sound, there really is a similiarity, but the EX700 is the rough and tough brother, and the RE272 is the delicate and unphased sister.

11. I haven't said a single word about the bass yet, because there's not much to say! Lol.

Great impressions my friend! I'll take them back now, thanks.
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Now, regarding whether or not the RE272's are bright. To my ears, they most certainly are, and only in the best of sense. But, it's all relative to what's being compared of course. The RE262 is no doubt on the warm and sweet side, and switching between the two, the RE272 hardly retains that presentation. Thus it's certainly bright, as compared to the RE262. When compared to the CK10 however, well that's a different story altogether, which is again to say, it's all relative to what's being compared.
smile.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #134 of 155
Just got my 252's in today, and I must say, these are exquisitely balanced sounding in-ears. I'm quite fond of the 262/272, and to say the least, the 252's retain every bit of what I've come to love with the HiFiMan series. In fact, I'm now all the more keen on paying the RE0/RE-ZERO's a listen. Anywho, having received them only but a few hours ago, I'll allow for some time to become accustomed to their signature, after which I'll compare them to my currect favorites, the GR07. I must say, however, the synergy between the RE252 and the Zo is not too shabby.
smile.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #135 of 155
While there are certainly those that disagree, I'm particularly fond of the RE252's build. Their gummy nature makes for an extremely pleasant fit for my ears. The downside is, however, these things are a dust magnet to no end. A second personal gripe is also that the bi-flange tips, which I heavily prefer of course, tend to slide off of the earphones when they're removed from my ear. That's more to do with the way they're pulled out, but it happens a tad too often. Apart from the aforementioned concerns, I'm really enjoying their signature, especially their mids; and the synergy between the 252 and Zo rivals that of my EX1000. More on that later...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back