[kiteki review] - Hifiman RE0 / RE252 / RE272 versus other IEM's (post #153)
Aug 12, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #76 of 155
nice! looking fwd to the full review
popcorn.gif

Edit: i also need to set a higher volume on my clip+ , about 40% more than the pl50

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #80 of 155
Sorry about the silly delay in my review.

I'm waiting for the RE272 to arrive, which will make this review more complete... and interesting.

In the meantime, I've been listening to the RE0 and RE252 to get a good feel for their sound, in my review I intend on using harsh honesty and also paying respect and accolades where it's due.

If any mods/admins see this I don't mind if you delete the posts between myself and Pianist and keanex, they were a bit unprofessional and ill-flavoured, sorry about that.

Time to keep listening and waiting for the RE272 to arrive then...

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #81 of 155
I think RE0 may need hundreds of hours of burn in to settle down fully. I remember listening to a friend's RE0 about a year and a half ago and comparing with my old, cloth cable RE0 V2 version and I am pretty sure that the two sounded pretty much the same. Now, I borrowed his RE0 again a year and a half later and there is no doubt that it sounds better than my old RE0 did. Much better. I think during this time the guy burned them in for maybe over 1000 hours already.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #82 of 155
I think RE0 may need hundreds of hours of burn in to settle down fully. I remember listening to a friend's RE0 about a year and a half ago and comparing with my old, cloth cable RE0 V2 version and I am pretty sure that the two sounded pretty much the same. Now, I borrowed his RE0 again a year and a half later and there is no doubt that it sounds better than my old RE0 did. Much better. I think during this time the guy burned them in for maybe over 1000 hours already.

Between upgraditis and the reports of how they can break, I wonder how many casual users make it to 1000 hours. If they really take a 1000 hours to burn in, there's something inherently wrong with them.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #84 of 155
Quote:
Between upgraditis and the reports of how they can break, I wonder how many casual users make it to 1000 hours. If they really take a 1000 hours to burn in, there's something inherently wrong with them.

Why is that?

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #85 of 155

Why is that?

Hrm. I thought the 200 hours for the GR07 was really pushing it. It took me months to get to that.

I know they're a bargain, but having to endure 1000 hours of inferior sound before I can enjoy them at their best rankles. So the inherent flaw, or what's wrong as I said, is the design which requires this level patience. And as I wondered, how many people even get to 1000 hours on their purchase?

It doesn't make them useless, but it does beg for an improvement. All IMHO of course.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #86 of 155
Quote:
Hrm. I thought the 200 hours for the GR07 was really pushing it. It took me months to get to that.

I know they're a bargain, but having to endure 1000 hours of inferior sound before I can enjoy them at their best rankles. So the inherent flaw, or what's wrong as I said, is the design which requires this level patience. And as I wondered, how many people even get to 1000 hours on their purchase?

It doesn't make them useless, but it does beg for an improvement. All IMHO of course.

Yeah it's ridiculous, I agree. Hifiman should burn them in themselves for a few months before putting them for sale. lol

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #87 of 155
And is there any technical data or or theories to back up this claim?

Is the RE0 made out of a unique driver material unlike other IEM's? Can you record the sound from an RE0 fresh from the factory and a 1000 hour burnt in RE0 and display the difference in sound in a recording?

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #88 of 155
Quote:
And is there any technical data or or theories to back up this claim?

Is the RE0 made out of a unique driver material unlike other IEM's? Can you record the sound from an RE0 fresh from the factory and a 1000 hour burnt in RE0 and display the difference in sound in a recording?

I compared a brand new RE0 with the one burned in for gazillion hours and there was no difference in frequency response. However, frequency response is only part of the story. The quality of sound may improve with burn in while the response will remain the same. The bass quantity may remain the same, but definition will be better. Mids may still remain slightly recessed or forward or whatever, but the clarity may improve. Etc.

And no, of course there is no technical data to prove my claims. You have to burn them in and listen for yourself. If you find any differences, cool- that means there will be one more person supporting me. If not, oh well. The way we perceive sound is really subjective anyway.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #89 of 155

Yeah it's ridiculous, I agree. Hifiman should burn them in themselves for a few months before putting them for sale. lol

That wouldn't be a very efficient solution.

Sure, you're being facetious, I get that. :rolleyes:

Still, it doesn't mean there isn't a flaw here. Needing 1000 is just silly.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #90 of 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]
And no, of course there is no technical data to prove my claims. You have to burn them in and listen for yourself. If you find any differences, cool- that means there will be one more person supporting me. If not, oh well. The way we perceive sound is really subjective anyway.

It's not with speakers, why should it be with IEM's?

I don't go to the cinema with a friend and they say "man these speakers need to be burnt in, jeez that THX surround is god-awful"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back