Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
May 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #766 of 3,507
Yup, they're both different flavors of the same driver. Based on that the price-difference is not justifiable, then again manufacturers tend to overprice what they consider to be their flagship, it always happens this way, except for the EQ-5 lol. Manufacturers price based on flair, not performance lol.

Where does that leave the ever popular ER4? Same situation?

May 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #767 of 3,507
Where does that leave the ever popular ER4? Same situation?

Hmm well the ER4P is the same as HF series, even matching wise. You do pay for a replacable cable, now that may be worth paying more for...

May 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #768 of 3,507
Quote:
He discusses what he meant in length on the first page of that article. Again, when he says they're "pretty much identical," he is referring to everything except sound, as he made quite clear with the above statement. Just like if I were to say that all HiFiMan orthos are identical, what would you think I meant? Sound wise, or aesthetics wise? Hopefully not the former...

But in this case, when the two measure nearly identically, one can surely mean the former. If Tyll meant that they look the same, then he should have clarified this by saying "pretty much identical looking." That statement of his wasn't clear.

May 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #771 of 3,507
Quote:
Yup, they're both different flavors of the same driver. Based on that the price-difference is not justifiable, then again manufacturers tend to overprice what they consider to be their flagship, it always happens this way, except for the EQ-5 lol. Manufacturers price based on flair, not performance lol. 

Actually, the differences in the measurements of the two are so small that they easily fall within acceptable limits of production variations of the same model. Consider the following two AKG K701s for example - the measured differences between them are greater than those between RE262 and RE272:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701SampleB.pdf

May 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #772 of 3,507
In my personal opinion, trusting a graph over your own ears might be more objective but is also quite sad, I prefer to listen to music than to watch charts. and more importantly claiming you judge an iem without having listened to it, based on a chart, and that your opinion is more valid than someone who owns it is just arrogant and preposterous...and sounds like jealousy.

May 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #774 of 3,507
Quote:
I didn't think he could have made it more clear, having stated just before the statement in question, "sound signatures aside." The man even separated it with three dashes on either side, lol!

So you are saying that sound signature = sound quality, right? I always thought of sound signature as significant differences in frequency response only. I think it's a slippery concept though.

May 6, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #777 of 3,507
So you are saying that sound signature = sound quality, right? I always thought of sound signature as significant differences in frequency response only. I think it's a slippery concept though.

Tyll wrote the article. Not me. :p

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I've come to to understand it, the frequency response reflects the sound signature that a particular headphone/earphone was tuned for, and is merely one aspect of sound quality.

May 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #778 of 3,507
oh GOD , it has started !!!!

my wallet and me are trembling
Quote:
A small bach of RE600 has been released. Seems like the sound signatures are close to those of RE262/272.

May 6, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #780 of 3,507
Quote:
Tyll wrote the article. Not me.
tongue.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I've come to to understand it, the frequency response reflects the sound signature that a particular headphone/earphone was tuned for, and is merely one aspect of sound quality.

Exactly, That's how I understand it as well. So what that means then is that Tyll was only saying that frequency response aside, the two are nearly identical. But then the frequency response of the two shows a 5 db difference at most, which is actually within acceptable production variation limits of some headphones of the same model. Yet, Tyll goes on to describe some pretty detailed differences between the two, making it seem as though they are quite different sounding when measurements clearly show that they are almost the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back