Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 10, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #3,496 of 3,507
The RE400 is the only pair of headphones I own that I do not need to EQ. What a legend.
Yep. Just got the re-800 (which is much cheaper than it used to be these days)

It is CERTAINLY technically better than the re-400. Very impressive. But not necessarily an easy-listen for long hours.

And the 7khz peak needs to be tamed down.
No EQ needed for re-400...

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #3,499 of 3,507
I do wonder if the RE400s sound so good because their mid-range peak frequency of 2KHz accounts for the possible bias introduced by the Yamaha NS10's 1.5KHz peak. Not that most producers use the NS10 as their primary monitor these days, but that afaik most producers at least have it for a secondary reference. The influence was definitely larger in the past but is probably still strong even today, and it could add a real bias that could warrant having more forwardness from 1-2KHz and slightly less after that, contrary to the Harman curve.

NS10 frequency response
RE400 frequency response
Harman target response

The RE400s sound more like real speakers to me than my ER4SRs. I really wanted to know how they achieve that when other earphones can often follow the Harman curve better and closer to the "correct" 3-4KHz peak. Maybe it's just my ears that have a lower HRTF frequency? Or that the slight bass boost is required to match the warmth that home use adds to flat speakers?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #3,500 of 3,507
I do wonder if the RE400s sound so good because their mid-range peak frequency of 2KHz accounts for the possible bias introduced by the Yamaha NS10's 1.5KHz peak. Not that most producers use the NS10 as their primary monitor these days, but that afaik most producers at least have it for a secondary reference. The influence was definitely larger in the past but is probably still strong even today, and it could add a real bias that could warrant having more forwardness from 1-2KHz and slightly less after that, contrary to the Harman curve.

NS10 frequency response
RE400 frequency response
Harman target response

The RE400s sound more like real speakers to me than my ER4SRs. I really wanted to know how they achieve that when other earphones can often follow the Harman curve better and closer to the "correct" 3-4KHz peak. Maybe it's just my ears that have a lower HRTF frequency? Or that the slight bass boost is required to match the warmth that home use adds to flat speakers?
I think the RE400 using a dynamic driver will make them sound closer to a regular monitoring speaker than BA iems like the Etymotics. I love the precision of balanced armatures but the difference is very noticeable in terms of timbre.

By the way the chart you mention for the RE400 shows a very different treble response than other sources, I'm not sure why.
https://crinacle.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/RE400-1024x472.jpg

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #3,501 of 3,507
The dynamic driver is part of it but I would still say my ER4SR's sound more like speakers than 90% of the dynamic earphones and headphones I own, mainly because most headphones are badly tuned (or my personal HRTF isn't compatible with most headphones). The RE400s have a slightly echo-y mid-range that just sounds very natural and real. It's probably as big of a soundstage as you can get in earphones without sounding muddy.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #3,502 of 3,507
By the way the chart you mention for the RE400 shows a very different treble response than other sources, I'm not sure why.

Different measurement couplers were used for both, so the (raw, since the compensations used are different anyway (more aggressive target compensation on InnerFidelity vs milder one on Crinacle)) response shown will naturally differ somewhat (although it's very similar up to about 5 kHz). In addition, the RE 400 are, in my experience, fairly sensitive to what ear tips were used, so that should be considered as well when viewing both graphs.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #3,504 of 3,507
You may DM me if needed
MMCX detachability mod group.JPG

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #3,506 of 3,507
Any MMCX services specifically in the United States?

The RE-600 retail about $75 with warranty and its just doesn't make much sense to send it across the planet and pay around $100 to modify a set that costs 3/4th as much brand new 🙁

I failed to mentioned my location before

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back