Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Apr 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #61 of 12,590
Hi HBB, longtime lurker and fan. Have you come up with a way to test vibrations from iem's like you do with over-ears? I've been trying to think of techniques but its not going well. I feel like there needs to be a "paper test" equivalent or i'm worried this thread will have little value. I think that until we have a "paper test", when people suggest iem's, they should compare it with another basshead iem to give a point of reference - like LUCKBAD's post, I thought that was great. Sorry, end rant, just a concerned basshead.

Anyways, here's what I've tried. Really want to get Wooduo 2 next and compare with the Hippo VB.

Hippo VB - leagues above the other two, most bass that i have personally heard in an iem, responds very well to EQ

JVC HAFX101B - decent bass for the price but only when EQ'd

Nuforce NE-600X - not a basshead iem, EQ didn't change that fact

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #62 of 12,590
  Hi HBB, longtime lurker and fan. Have you come up with a way to test vibrations from iem's like you do with over-ears? I've been trying to think of techniques but its not going well. I feel like there needs to be a "paper test" equivalent or i'm worried this thread will have little value. I think that until we have a "paper test", when people suggest iem's, they should compare it with another basshead iem to give a point of reference - like LUCKBAD's post, I thought that was great. Sorry, end rant, just a concerned basshead.

Anyways, here's what I've tried. Really want to get Wooduo 2 next and compare with the Hippo VB.

Hippo VB - leagues above the other two, most bass that i have personally heard in an iem, responds very well to EQ

JVC HAFX101B - decent bass for the price but only when EQ'd

Nuforce NE-600X - not a basshead iem, EQ didn't change that fact

Thanks!

Only the Panasonic with the bass exciter ever did anything I thought could be visually displayed. I am thinking about it though
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #64 of 12,590
I'm also trying to figure out a good objective way to do it. It's pretty clear when you have 'em in your head what's happening, but that doesn't show anyone anything. I still only have 4 on my top 10 list so far, but I do have 2 incoming that are likely to make it on the list.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #65 of 12,590
Great thread! Thanks HBB for making it for us bassheads (and non-bassheads too!)

I am a basshead myself but I value sub-bass a lot more than mid-bass due to my music tastes of DnB, Hip Hop, Deep House and others. I dont particularly like V-shaped sigs due to the fact that I'm very sensitive to treble so I'm always on the lookout for smooth, L-shaped sigs.

Anyway I've not had much of an IEM journey; I have got a very old pair of Sennheiser CX500 which still pound my head to this day when amped.

Then I got the Klipsch X10 which I thought were very good, decent bass impact and extension from something very small. However they can distort easily when pushed due to them "only" having a single BA driver.

I then acquired the TTPod T1E which had good quality and impact but they broke quickly during a burn-in session, I guess they couldn't handle the excursion required by some of my DnB tracks lol!

I have ZA Basso's on the way, they're with UK customs as we speak so should be delivered soon. I'll let you guys know how they get on in terms of bass power, extension, quality etc. and also what their headroom is like when hooked up to my E18 dac.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #66 of 12,590
  Great thread! Thanks HBB for making it for us bassheads (and non-bassheads too!)

I am a basshead myself but I value sub-bass a lot more than mid-bass due to my music tastes of DnB, Hip Hop, Deep House and others. I dont particularly like V-shaped sigs due to the fact that I'm very sensitive to treble so I'm always on the lookout for smooth, L-shaped sigs.

Anyway I've not had much of an IEM journey; I have got a very old pair of Sennheiser CX500 which still pound my head to this day when amped.

Then I got the Klipsch X10 which I thought were very good, decent bass impact and extension from something very small. However they can distort easily when pushed due to them "only" having a single BA driver.

I then acquired the TTPod T1E which had good quality and impact but they broke quickly during a burn-in session, I guess they couldn't handle the excursion required by some of my DnB tracks lol!

I have ZA Basso's on the way, they're with UK customs as we speak so should be delivered soon. I'll let you guys know how they get on in terms of bass power, extension, quality etc. and also what their headroom is like when hooked up to my E18 dac.

Earsonics Velvet should fit your needs just fine. It has amazing sub-bass in warm and balanced mode (but warm mode is for true bassheads) and neither mids nor treble are recessed. Mids are amazing and treble is velvety, non-fatiguing. I can't stand harsh treble either. Also soundstage is huge which is awesome for EDM as it creates a sort of club vibe in your ears.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #67 of 12,590
Guys I am thinking of buying this one Sony MDR-XB50AP. They are under budget and have good bass. But did anyone used them?

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00K4AKI3A/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1428614967&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Sony+xb&dpPl=1&dpID=315elglGWxL&ref=plSrch

Been curious about these also. They are going cheap on eBay.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #68 of 12,590
  Earsonics Velvet should fit your needs just fine. It has amazing sub-bass in warm and balanced mode (but warm mode is for true bassheads) and neither mids nor treble are recessed. Mids are amazing and treble is velvety, non-fatiguing. I can't stand harsh treble either. Also soundstage is huge which is awesome for EDM as it creates a sort of club vibe in your ears.

I think they're focusing more on the sub $100 iems. But I feel you bro 
cool.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #70 of 12,590

Thanks mate. These are definitely on my radar as I read one of the reviews about a week ago and yes they do seem to fit the bill for us quality-seeking-bassheads.

But they're a bit pricey so I would have to save up (and go without food/drink lol!) for a while. I hope the Bassos will keep me happy for a while. :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #72 of 12,590
Guys I am thinking of buying this one Sony MDR-XB50AP. They are under budget and have good bass. But did anyone used them?

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00K4AKI3A/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1428614967&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Sony+xb&dpPl=1&dpID=315elglGWxL&ref=plSrch

I've got em. The bass is ridiculous...thundering is a good description. I personally recommend getting the AS800AP over the XB50. They improve on pretty much everything for around 20 bucks more, but I don't think you would be disappointed in the XB50. For the price they are pretty sweet.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #74 of 12,590
This thread isn't really all about sub-$100. In fact, I'd say it's worth compiling the following over time:

1) The Top 10 Most Impactful Basshead IEMs (Any Price)
2) The Top 10 Best Rich Folk IEMs for Bass (More focus on quality than pure bass response)
3) The Top 10 Best Bass IEMs Below $200 (I don't think we're gonna find 10 under $100 worth buying)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back