Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Apr 6, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #31 of 12,596
I also like the Hisound Audio Wooduo 2. The bass is deep and well contolled,  similar to ATH-CKS70. Another one is AIAIAI's Pipe, solid and punchy.
L3000.gif

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #33 of 12,596
JVC HA-FX1100 with great bass speed and thump. For a non CIEM IEM, I think these are the best IEMs I've heard for bass. I would totally get a pair of these if I didn't have my JH13 already. 

Roxanne for sheer quantity and crackling rumble, especially when you're generous with the bass adjustment pot that's built into the cable. For a throat wrenching good time, these are awesome.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #34 of 12,596
JVC fX1100

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #35 of 12,596
Top to bottom, biggest bass hit to lowest for IEMs I own or have spent a fair amount of time with.

1. HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 - Biggest hit without EQ. After tweaking a bunch, these actually do hit harder than the ATH. Surprise abounds.
  2. Audio Technica ATH-CKS1000 - Very similar hit and signature to the ATH-WS99. Needs EQ for big hits, but responds well to it.
  3. Future Sonic Atrio MG7 - Nice bass, kinda nasty posts that are easy to gunk up, pretty dark. I hear there's something new coming from these guys soon.
  4. NarMoo S1 - Best budget basshead IEM @$32. I still use mine sometimes despite having better available.

NOTE: I'm keeping this updated here: http://www.basshead.club/top-10/top-10-basshead-earphones/

Below this line, I don't think these are basshead IEMs. They're various levels of warm or v-shaped, but I don't feel my ear canals shaking with them.
  1. Sennheiser IE80 - Overall best sound for a bassy IEM, but more expensive and less bassy than everything above it on the list.
  2. Yamaha EPH-100 - Didn't find this to have a crazy pleasing sound (RHA sounded better to me for less). Also not comfortable at all.
  3. RHA MA750 - Nice clean sound, good punch. Not quite to basshead levels.
  4. RHA T10 - Honestly, I like their cheaper earphones better despite loving the idea and design of these.
  5. Dunu DN-1000 - I enjoyed these at first, but they become fatiguing quickly with their treble.
  6. Logitech Ultimate Ears 500 - I still use these now and then. They sound great for the price and are versatile. More bass than the 600 model.

Other IEMs I've owned or tried extensively aren't worth mentioning for their bass quantity.

Want to hear, probably buying at some point:
  1. JVC FXZ200 - The IEM version of the JVC SZ2000. These are on the way from Japan right now.
  2. Pioneer SE-CX9-S - Also on the way.
  3. Velodyne vPulse - Subwoofer experts probably make good bass.
  4. JVC Xtreme Xplosives - Haven't seen the new ones available in the US yet.
  5. NuForce NE-600 - Cheap and recommended a few place
  6. Sony XB-Something - So many models, I don't know which to try.
  7. AIAIAI Pipe - Seem to have quality issues. Only trying if super cheap.
  8. Hippo VB - Heard some good things.

Good, versatile ear tips that also work well for bass:
  1. MEElectronics M11+ (extra long single flange and standard bi-flange)
  2. Monster Gel/Foam Supertips
  3. Comply Isolation or Comfort Tips
  4. JVC Victor Spiral Dot
  5. Sony Hybrids
  6. Earphones Plus assortment - I like these triple flanges more than most
  7. Auvio Silicone replacement tips - None of them fit me great, but many people like them

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #37 of 12,596
  While I cannot speak for the xba-a3  -  Yammy EPH-100's are definitely not basshead tier IEMs in the slightest.

I do not think you know of the 'best bass' we speak of.

Please eloborate! Eph-100s are indeed very good basshead IEMs with excellent sub-bass extension.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #38 of 12,596
I don't see how the RHA T10s don't make your head rumble

I have them, with treble filters, and triple flange tips, listening to bassy songs is wicked. Perhaps you use a shallow fit?

Also, the T10s aren't really for detail, but they are excellent if you want to have fun with your music. That rumble is so addictive, much more enjoyable than twinkly sparkly fairy treble that has no substance behind it (purely my opinion XD).

Joking (or not) aside, T10s definitely have rumble. Perhaps it is only present with deep insertion though (double or triple flange tips).

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #40 of 12,596

Please eloborate! Eph-100s are indeed very good basshead IEMs with excellent sub-bass extension.

Quote:
  I don't see how the RHA T10s don't make your head rumble

This applies to both the Yamaha EPH-100 and RHA T10 (and 750):

It's not so much the signature as it is the rumble. They sound quite good, but I would consider them both Warm headphones, capable of all types of music with a generous amount of bass. The rumble--in comparison to something like the Wooduo 2 or Audio Technica ATH-CKS1000--is not as impactful.

That said, the signature and versatility can make them very pleasing to listen to, and qualify right below my basshead mark for visceral impact. If I try out the other IEMs on my list that I haven't checked out, both the Yamaha and RHA are likely to make it into a Top 10 list, because I've only heard 4 IEMs I'd consider basshead earphones at this point.

It is also possible that my source didn't pair well with them when I tried them out. I tried both with a half dozen tips and got good insertion with them, so it's more likely that my equipment didn't give me the rumble I was looking for if they are indeed basshead earphones.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #41 of 12,596
Interesting.....I use my T10s out of the Sansa clip sport, the rumble is definitely there!

What kind of sources did you use, out of curiosity?

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #42 of 12,596
1. Creative X-fi Titanium HD (DAC via RCA) > Objective 2 (with and without the O2)
2. Creative Sound Blaster E5
3. AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2
4. Samsung Galaxy S5
5. Whatever crap my work computer has on it

I mostly test with FLAC files but also stream from Google Music, YouTube, and DI.fm for a realistic set of tests.

T10 definitely rumbles, it just rumbles short of what I think of as basshead territory. Bass that makes you a little short of breath.

If you have $75 to spare, grab a Wooduo 2 and EQ it to see what I mean. NarMoo S1 is half the price and easier to return, but doesn't hit quite as hard.

I have a JVC HA-FXZ200 and Pioneer SE-CX9-S on the way and I'm hopeful that both will rumble my neck fat.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #43 of 12,596
I gotcha!

I might be a light basshead, but I found the T10s bass is strong enough to give me the heart rumbles, with certain songs. (Out of the clip)

Some examples of songs that I find have the uberbass are (from least to most bassy)
Cryptex - The Glitch Anthem -> first minute - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nduX3zp7UuM
Dark Ages - Two Steps From Hell (Intro) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjagObe8-RY
Glitch Mob - Animus Vox (skip first minute) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17PM-UMVud8
Excision - X rated (Bassiest song I know of) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlLKVYPblos

Do you have any examples of super bassy songs that I could test out?

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #44 of 12,596
Hmm... nobody mentioned Monster Miles Davis Tributes.

MDTs satisfies my inner basshead while still having clear and detailed mids and highs.

I'm shocked at how much bass MDTs can deliver, especially when paired with Meridian Explorer².

Too bad they've been out of production for a few years and there are so many fakes on eBay. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #45 of 12,596
RE: Miles Davis Tribute - Wish I had a chance to try them before they disappeared. Those look pretty awesome.

Some good bass test songs:

Wiz Khalifa - On My Level
Bassotronics - Bass I Love You
Asa - Tinderbox
Nero - In the Way
Bassnectar - Basshead
Lindsey Stirling - Take Flight
Skrillex - Stranger
Yellow Claw - DJ Turn it Up
Modestep - Dub King
Lil Wayne - Rah!
Radiohead - Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box
Bone Crusher - Grippin' the Grain
Eprom - Phaseknocker
Infected Mushroom - Never Ever Land
Ludacris - How Low
Hardest Hitting Subwoofer Songs Vol 1, 2, 3 on YouTube has a bunch too

And there isn't anything wrong with headphones not being part of the basshead club. I use Sennheiser HD 650s as much as I use anything, and they have "good" bass for an open, moderately balanced headphone. But they don't make my breath catch in my throat, and don't hold a candle for bass response to anything even on the list of IEMs I mentioned (even the ones that i didn't rank as "basshead").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back