Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Sep 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,411 of 2,110
Oh your keeping them alright. The RS1i's are just too cool of an hp. To me they're idiot proof, and I know because sometimes, okay more than sometimes, I act like a real idiot. Just plug them in and turn on the music. Plus they sound freaking great out of anything. Phone, laptop, high end/not high end home theatre or hp listening station. The truth is they just keep getting better and better. Some people insist on "burning in" their hp's with white noise or running music thru them for days on end. Not necessary! I just used them when I was in the mood to listen to some music. If you do this you'll be AMAZED at how their sound comes together. No **** Sherlock. When it comes to using the G-cushions on the RS1's I find that it kind of depends on what I'm listening to. Turbulent Labs headbands are awesome. I'd like to get some nice machined aluminium gimbals and rodblocks for them, but the guy who makes them here in Minnesota hasn't gotten back to me.

They do start to grow on me big time. With the G-cushions I like the amount of soundstage and bass a lot. Plus they are super duper comfortable now which is very very important to me. I can't enjoy a headphone if the comfort isn't there. The RS1i aren't the best or most refined headphones I've ever owned, but I'm tapping my feet when listening and that's a great indicator I believe. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,412 of 2,110
Awesome cans bpcans :)

I am still in shock cause i have experienced a rather large metamorphism during burn in of these rs1i's. I was listening last night and finally the top opened up and the detail popped.
I want to be honest i was rather nervous and remorseful about 24 hrs ago cause my SR80's were quite ahead of the rs1i's.
Initially when i first listened they were mellow and bass heavy and very little mid and top was evident in the music. Then last night i would say at 3hr mark it dramatically changed and when i A/B against SR80's the mids and top became parallel with the rs1i's bass beautifully punching it's weight all balanced. Added to it the size of the cups and you have a stunning warm woody open soundstage.

YMMV but there are dramatic changes to be had with burnin.
Good luck.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,413 of 2,110
I traded them with a other Dutchie on Head-Fi so no burn in for me. Kinda wished I could experience it though 
L3000.gif
 I had the Alessandro MS2i (gave them to my dad) and these are a whole other league for sure. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #1,415 of 2,110
  Right now I'm listening to the RS1i with the Schiit Modi/Vali stack. Is there anything in that same price class that would be a better match? Maybe something a tad warmer?

The Little Dot 1+ is a very nice amp for Grado's.......I can not say how it compares to the vali, as I have not heard the vali.

You will be pretty limited in that price range.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #1,416 of 2,110
  The Little Dot 1+ is a very nice amp for Grado's.......I can not say how it compares to the vali, as I have not heard the vali.

I could also wait and get budget up to 500 euro second hand (amp+dac). Don't want to get overboard again 
tongue.gif
 What would be my choices then? How would it perform with something like the Burson HA-160D(S)?

EDIT: Just read the Burson are fairly bright so that wouldn't be a great match :wink:

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #1,417 of 2,110

I could also wait and get budget up to 500 euro second hand (amp+dac). Don't want to get overboard again 
tongue.gif
 What would be my choices then? How would it perform with something like the Burson HA-160D(S)?

I have never heard the Burson, so I can not say.

If you wait and make 500 euro your budget....then I would absolutely go for a second hand Mad Ear +HD ......not sure what a second hand Woo WA6 cost, but that would also be a good option.

I would just keep the modi for the time being.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #1,418 of 2,110
  Right now I'm listening to the RS1i with the Schiit Modi/Vali stack. Is there anything in that same price class that would be a better match? Maybe something a tad warmer?

while the modi is awesome for the money, i did find it a tad bright,
under $200, the hrt's are very good, the ifi idsd nano is awesome, the aq dragonfly come to mind , i've had them all, my favorite would be the idsd i i think

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,421 of 2,110
  Yeah that was I was thinking, it might be the Modi that is bright. I will check those out!

amp wise, the little dot mk1+, given the right tubes is about the best amp for grado's out there until you spend a whole lot more money!!

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #1,422 of 2,110
Mine matches up beautifully with my AMB M^3, but it honestly sounds quite good via the O2/ODAC combo as well. The only tubes I have liked (under 1K) with the Grados are the MAD Ear + HD 

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,423 of 2,110
Wow damn, here I was looking to get rid of my Schiit Vali and Modi because I felt something was missing and then I remembered: the former owner had them fitted with new drivers just a couple weeks ago and he didn't like them so he didn't use them. So my RS1i are actually just getting settled in. That's why the bass sounds weird and it get shouty with certain tracks. 

Do love them already though. Just have to wait how it all settles in :-D

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,424 of 2,110
  Wow damn, here I was looking to get rid of my Schiit Vali and Modi because I felt something was missing and then I remembered: the former owner had them fitted with new drivers just a couple weeks ago and he didn't like them so he didn't use them. So my RS1i are actually just getting settled in. That's why the bass sounds weird and it get shouty with certain tracks. 

Do love them already though. Just have to wait how it all settles in :-D

You don't realize what your in for with these!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back