Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,441 of 2,110
  if i didn't have the bryston , i'd buy a lyr 2 without hesitation , i'm a lyr fan
i may pick up a used lyr 1, i found one pretty cheap

Good to know :) I will probably keep an eye out for a some what more affordable Lyr too :) For now I'm still content with the Modi/Vali but hey if there's something that will let the RS1i shine even more I won't hesitate. 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #1,442 of 2,110
  Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
best thing about Grados are that they are very easy to drive with the exception of maybe GS1000 and HP2.

all they need is current. Most SS, hybrid, or transformer coupled can provide this. i particularly like my RS1i driven through the TC7520, D10, glite, and mapletree.

Yeah this is more of what I'm looking for. I just like to know what they find the rs1i matches up with best. I mean, if you think it sounds good with anything, I guess that's good too. But it doesn't help me much with deciding what I want to get.

Just to ditto some of these comments. I started with the 225i listening to my Ipod or cell phone, but mostly through a dedicated integrated amp that has a built in DAC and an Asgard-2. Sometimes I would connect the Asgard to my CDP and it sounded good.

When I bought an RS1i recently I decided to buy a Little Dot 1+ based on the many positive reviews and it sounds better IMO than the A-2-not that the A-2 is bad but the Asgard kind of reinforces IMO some of the brighter forward tendencies of the Grado sound while the LD tones them down just a bit. But, the Asgard is probably a bit more resolving.

Now, I've got a Nuforce ICON-it's a DAC and a HP amp- that  has USB for a computer and analog for traditional CDP, etc. and it has the ability to connect to an Ipod or android. It's more versatile than it is exceptional at any one thing, but is solid on all of the above.

Each additional piece has added improvement.

First,  225i with nothing to an Ipod or CDP-good.

Then, adding the Asgard-2-better.

Then, upgrading my stereo w/ Rotel integrated amp with built in DAC-and Asgard with 225i-more improvement.

Finally, upgrading the 225i to the RS1i and LD1+-still better.

Finally adding an external DAC-perhaps most noticeable of all.

Conclusion. The Ra1i and the 225i sound surprisingly good right into a cell phone or Ipod. In fact, there is nothing wrong with stopping there.

But, improvements can be made.

My biggest surprise-how much a decent $300 external DAC made. Duh! But, I thought using the inbuilt DAC on a decent but not audiophile quality $200 Onkyko CD player was pretty good or listening through my integrated w/ built in DAC was pretty good (listening to Sonos streaming my digital files-not hi res-but lossless). But, having that Nuforce added to the equations made a noticeable difference in detail, clarity, maybe a little soundstage.

My economical advice-depending on your source-get a decent entry level DAC-and consider a LD or Vali-something with tubes or a tube hybrid and you'll be happy. But, don't forget the DAC even if it's just entry level schiit.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,443 of 2,110

Just to ditto some of these comments. I started with the 225i listening to my Ipod or cell phone, but mostly through a dedicated integrated amp that has a built in DAC and an Asgard-2. Sometimes I would connect the Asgard to my CDP and it sounded good.

When I bought an RS1i recently I decided to buy a Little Dot 1+ based on the many positive reviews and it sounds better IMO than the A-2-not that the A-2 is bad but the Asgard kind of reinforces IMO some of the brighter forward tendencies of the Grado sound while the LD tones them down just a bit. But, the Asgard is probably a bit more resolving.

Now, I've got a Nuforce ICON-it's a DAC and a HP amp- that  has USB for a computer and analog for traditional CDP, etc. and it has the ability to connect to an Ipod or android. It's more versatile than it is exceptional at any one thing, but is solid on all of the above.

Each additional piece has added improvement.

First,  225i with nothing to an Ipod or CDP-good.

Then, adding the Asgard-2-better.

Then, upgrading my stereo w/ Rotel integrated amp with built in DAC-and Asgard with 225i-more improvement.

Finally, upgrading the 225i to the RS1i and LD1+-still better.

Finally adding an external DAC-perhaps most noticeable of all.

Conclusion. The Ra1i and the 225i sound surprisingly good right into a cell phone or Ipod. In fact, there is nothing wrong with stopping there.

But, improvements can be made.

My biggest surprise-how much a decent $300 external DAC made. Duh! But, I thought using the inbuilt DAC on a decent but not audiophile quality $200 Onkyko CD player was pretty good or listening through my integrated w/ built in DAC was pretty good (listening to Sonos streaming my digital files-not hi res-but lossless). But, having that Nuforce added to the equations made a noticeable difference in detail, clarity, maybe a little soundstage.

My economical advice-depending on your source-get a decent entry level DAC-and consider a LD or Vali-something with tubes or a tube hybrid and you'll be happy. But, don't forget the DAC even if it's just entry level schiit.

you're all in now mark, seperate amps, dacs, what's next ??

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,445 of 2,110
  Is it worth the extra $ over something like the Schiit Modi/Vali or are there better options out there. The aesthetics are fantastic of course.

WA6 with a good rectifier tube and some NOS Sylvania driver/power tubes and the RS!i is pure bliss IMO.

if i didn't have the bryston , i'd buy a lyr 2 without hesitation , i'm a lyr fan
i may pick up a used lyr 1, i found one pretty cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Schiit-SCH-03-Lyr-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004T335BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411415064&sr=8-1&keywords=Schiit+lyr
  Good to know :) I will probably keep an eye out for a some what more affordable Lyr too :) For now I'm still content with the Modi/Vali but hey if there's something that will let the RS1i shine even more I won't hesitate. 
darthsmile.gif

Once again 
http://www.amazon.com/Schiit-SCH-03-Lyr-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004T335BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411415064&sr=8-1&keywords=Schiit+lyr

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,446 of 2,110
Sep 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #1,448 of 2,110
  he's come to the dark side !

I've always been there. It just took me a while to cross over all the way.

Actually making more $ teaching kayaking on the Potomac on the weekends for a local paddle sports company has significantly improved my prospects. I get to tell the wife-hey it's spending $ I make on the side. She leaves me alone-
wink_face.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,449 of 2,110

I've always been there. It just took me a while to cross over all the way.

Actually making more $ teaching kayaking on the Potomac on the weekends for a local paddle sports company has significantly improved my prospects. I get to tell the wife-hey it's spending $ I make on the side. She leaves me alone-
wink_face.gif

genius !

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #1,450 of 2,110
Hey guys,
Noticed something unusual the other day with regards to the tension in the headband.
If you have it tight so that the earpads make solid seal on your ears the soundstage is smaller yet imaging is quite focused.
Yet relax that tension slightly in the headband then the soundstage becomes slightly larger and the imaging slightly defocused which is what i preferred.

An interesting find to say the least. It requires careful fine tuning to get the best out of them.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,451 of 2,110
Hey guys,
Noticed something unusual the other day with regards to the tension in the headband.
If you have it tight so that the earpads make solid seal on your ears the soundstage is smaller yet imaging is quite focused.
Yet relax that tension slightly in the headband then the soundstage becomes slightly larger and the imaging slightly defocused which is what i preferred.

An interesting find to say the least. It requires careful fine tuning to get the best out of them.

I've always wore my Grados loosely on my ears with no pressure from the headband..at all.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #1,452 of 2,110
  I've always wore my Grados loosely on my ears with no pressure from the headband..at all.

agree, grado's are among the most comfortable headphones i've worn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back