Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #1,427 of 2,110
I am also going to add to this that the standard Grado 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter which comes with these headphones is poor.

Just received a new gold plated version adapter and the soundstage is much improved (more open) and frequency is more flat across the entire range.

Now with this new adapter the sound is so much more neutral and better to my ears.
YMMV but something to think about.

EDIT: Wow...yes major improvement over default adapter after an hour or so listening
Here is the link for anyone using a 3.5mm adapter

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #1,429 of 2,110
Yeah that looks like an early 2009/2010 version.
I am enjoying these cans immensely. Have the accuracy I want from them now :)

Happy listening
o2smile.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #1,430 of 2,110
  Yeah that looks like an early 2009/2010 version.
I am enjoying these cans immensely. Have the accuracy I want from them now :)

Happy listening
o2smile.gif

Guess so :) They just had new drivers, cable and ear pads though :) Although I'm not using the L-cushion but the G-Cushions which I'm liking a lot. And the Turbulent Labs headband should be here at the end of this week. So it's basically brand new :-D 

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #1,431 of 2,110
Yeah I am awaiting my G-pads so will be curious what pros/cons they can offer but very happy with the yellow senheissers reverse quarter mod on the rs1i's. They sound superb.
That is indeed a full renovation you got there on the rs1i's heheheeh

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,432 of 2,110
Awesome cans bpcans
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still in shock cause i have experienced a rather large metamorphism during burn in of these rs1i's. I was listening last night and finally the top opened up and the detail popped.
I want to be honest i was rather nervous and remorseful about 24 hrs ago cause my SR80's were quite ahead of the rs1i's.
Initially when i first listened they were mellow and bass heavy and very little mid and top was evident in the music. Then last night i would say at 3hr mark it dramatically changed and when i A/B against SR80's the mids and top became parallel with the rs1i's bass beautifully punching it's weight all balanced. Added to it the size of the cups and you have a stunning warm woody open soundstage.

YMMV but there are dramatic changes to be had with burnin.
Good luck.

My experience is similar.  When I first put on the RS1i, it was dull and nasal sounding.  They replaced a pair of SR225i's, which sounded a lot better.  I was shocked.  

Around the 6 to 8 hour mark, though, major changes started to happen.  The sound became much more open.  The treble just bloomed.  And they just kept on getting better.  Around the 200 hour mark, they were just amazing.  

Great set of headphones.  I wonder if people who diss them, and you know there are many that do, have actually heard a set of well broken in RS1's.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #1,433 of 2,110
  My experience is similar.  When I first put on the RS1i, it was dull and nasal sounding.  They replaced a pair of SR225i's, which sounded a lot better.  I was shocked.  

Around the 6 to 8 hour mark, though, major changes started to happen.  The sound became much more open.  The treble just bloomed.  And they just kept on getting better.  Around the 200 hour mark, they were just amazing.  

Great set of headphones.  I wonder if people who diss them, and you know there are many that do, have actually heard a set of well broken in RS1's.

some folks just don't like the grado sound, hard to believe isn't it ?? lol
grado seem to be  "love them, or hate them" headphone

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,435 of 2,110
  Anybody using these with Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies?

i have in the past, the wa7 is very nice, and the rs1i sounds good with it

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,437 of 2,110
some folks just don't like the grado sound, hard to believe isn't it ?? lol
grado seem to be  "love them, or hate them" headphone
jayw, I would respectfully say that some people just don't appreciate the Grado sound. A lot of the guys at our recent hp meet had cans that gave the music an outside of your head presentation with fantastically wide instrument separation. It's akin to sitting in a modern movie theatre with latest Dolby THX surround sound. Okay, so I don't go to a lot of first run cinema releases so I probably don't have the name of the movie sound tech right, but you know what I'm talking about. With my RS1's the music seems to be "in my head" and not around it. But the real reason, I believe, that most young people don't go for Grado's is because they look like something from the early twentieth century. Grado and grandparents share the same first three letters. Coincidence?

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,438 of 2,110
  Is it worth the extra $ over something like the Schiit Modi/Vali or are there better options out there. The aesthetics are fantastic of course.

the build quality is outstanding too,
worth the price difference ?? thats always a tough question for me, i never did use the dac portion of the wa7, i just used it as an amp.
i would say i found the amp better than the vali, and it'll power a wide range of headphones
as for other amps, i really enjoyed the lyr(1) with the rs1i, with some decent NOS tubes, and the lyr 2 is even better than the 1.
i heard the lyr 2 this weekend at the nashville meet

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,439 of 2,110

the build quality is outstanding too,
worth the price difference ?? thats always a tough question for me, i never did use the dac portion of the wa7, i just used it as an amp.
i would say i found the amp better than the vali, and it'll power a wide range of headphones
as for other amps, i really enjoyed the lyr(1) with the rs1i, with some decent NOS tubes, and the lyr 2 is even better than the 1.
i heard the lyr 2 this weekend at the nashville meet

I've had the Lyr with the Hifiman HE-500 and really enjoyed it. Still have a lot of tubes too that I can't seem to sell. Would you pick WA7 or Lyr?

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,440 of 2,110
  I've had the Lyr with the Hifiman HE-500 and really enjoyed it. Still have a lot of tubes too that I can't seem to sell. Would you pick WA7 or Lyr?

if i didn't have the bryston , i'd buy a lyr 2 without hesitation , i'm a lyr fan
i may pick up a used lyr 1, i found one pretty cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back