Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Sep 13, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,396 of 2,110
Here you go. The second is more detailed.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/grado-pad-choices-and-mods

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

That's about does it, thank you!

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,397 of 2,110
If I'm not mistaking, the new ',e'' serie's pads are shaped a bit differently from the previous models, Now, if this makes a big enough difference on the way they sound, we might want to start specifying wich pads we're referring to, or it will start to get confusing.

Same goes for the headphones themselves, with now, 3 générations , it's important to specify wich gen we're referryng to. Maybe I should copy and paste this in the Grado Fan Club thread.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,398 of 2,110
You can add me to this thread.
L3000.gif

Just got my RS1i's.

So happy now and will post pics when they arrive sometime in the next few days next to my SR80's.
Was going to buy the ms-pros but resisted against them heavily so and appreciate their differences and neutrality but wanted more of the SR80 sound signature.

I think I just bought a classix...

atsmile.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #1,399 of 2,110
Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #1,400 of 2,110
Here you go. The second is more detailed.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/grado-pad-choices-and-mods

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #1,401 of 2,110
  You can add me to this thread.
L3000.gif

Just got my RS1i's.

So happy now and will post pics when they arrive sometime in the next few days next to my SR80's.
Was going to buy the ms-pros but resisted against them heavily so and appreciate their differences and neutrality but wanted more of the SR80 sound signature.

I think I just bought a classix...

atsmile.gif

You sure did  
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #1,402 of 2,110
Look what just arrived in the mail
L3000.gif

Will listen to them later but am eager to hear to them now ... must learn patience...
devil_face.gif

Next to my 2004 SR80's :)

Pad comparison

Them cherry cups - the grain is immaculate and stain/finish 5 stars Bravo Grado :)

Them wooden cups

I have a serial number on the packaging. Does anyone know how to decipher the serial to determine year/month of manufacturer?
Love these headphones just for the workmanship alone
atsmile.gif

Am hoping tonight is an awesome listening session.

Say tuned and enjoy :)

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #1,403 of 2,110
Those cups should be mahogany....and they are beautiful  
smile.gif

Enjoy the ride....it is a great one.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,405 of 2,110
Thanks guys just slowly burning them in and so far very very impressed.
The larger wooden chamber provides a more woody analog sound with a large sound-stage. At the moment it is quite neutral and mellow. They are also very light on the ear well compared to my SR80's and have better sensitivity with the volume being much less on the rs1i's.
The SR80's are more brighter and detailed (probably due to long burn in) however, very squashed/compact with regards to the sound-stage and I can probably ascertain/hypothesize this due to the size of the cups.

I can only imagine what this journey will be like with more hours on these. So far so good.
Will update as more hours are put on these.

Here are two interesting frequency response curves I have for my original Grado SR80's v the new RS1i's

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,406 of 2,110
Ok,

Just placed the HD414 reverse quarter mod pads on the RS1i's(those yellow pads you see above on my SR80's)

Holy Shi@@t what an incredible sound.
Highly highly recommend rs1i's users try these pads in reverse quarter mod.
Detail in the mid-range and precision.
So far the yellow seinheissers HD414 in reverse quarter mod > the L-factory stock cush's.
Have G-cush on arrival will be interesting to say the least.

EDIT: 2 -more listening
So liquid, smooth, woody and analog esque it is audio nirvana. It retrieves every single detail and places them beautifully in the stage.
The bass slam is juicy and tight and does not overpower the rest of the frequency range.
Love these so much now....
o2smile.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #1,407 of 2,110
Just got my RS1i today. Already had the G-cushions waiting for their arrival. Turbulent Manta headband should be here next week. I always go a little overboard with new gear 
rolleyes.gif

I went back and forth with the L-cushions and G-cushions and it's hard to say which is better. G-cushions give a bigger soundstage but that also means you lose a little intimacy and some bass. L-cushions give a very in your face type of sound. Right now I'm leaning towards the G-cushions, but that's just personal taste. 

I like the RS1i, very detailed and fun sound. Not sure if it's a keeper yet but sounds promising. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #1,408 of 2,110
  Just got my RS1i today. Already had the G-cushions waiting for their arrival. Turbulent Manta headband should be here next week. I always go a little overboard with new gear 
rolleyes.gif

I went back and forth with the L-cushions and G-cushions and it's hard to say which is better. G-cushions give a bigger soundstage but that also means you lose a little intimacy and some bass. L-cushions give a very in your face type of sound. Right now I'm leaning towards the G-cushions, but that's just personal taste. 

I like the RS1i, very detailed and fun sound. Not sure if it's a keeper yet but sounds promising. 

In my experience, when using the G-cushion....you must turn the volume up a little.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,410 of 2,110
Just got my RS1i today. Already had the G-cushions waiting for their arrival. Turbulent Manta headband should be here next week. I always go a little overboard with new gear :rolleyes:  

Oh your keeping them alright. The RS1i's are just too cool of an hp. To me they're idiot proof, and I know because sometimes, okay more than sometimes, I act like a real idiot. Just plug them in and turn on the music. Plus they sound freaking great out of anything. Phone, laptop, high end/not high end home theatre or hp listening station. The truth is they just keep getting better and better. Some people insist on "burning in" their hp's with white noise or running music thru them for days on end. Not necessary! I just used them when I was in the mood to listen to some music. If you do this you'll be AMAZED at how their sound comes together. No **** Sherlock. When it comes to using the G-cushions on the RS1's I find that it kind of depends on what I'm listening to. Turbulent Labs headbands are awesome. I'd like to get some nice machined aluminium gimbals and rodblocks for them, but the guy who makes them here in Minnesota hasn't gotten back to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back