Grado modders go Magnum
Jul 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #2,761 of 4,994
Who manufacturers these custom drivers? Is Grado ok with this? Because I've seen people ripping out the drivers out of Grado's replacing it with various versions of Magnum drivers.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #2,762 of 4,994
Quote:
Quick question for anyone with V5 drivers, I've never used these until yesterday. Do they benefit from a certain amount of burn in with say pink noise?

I also had some G cush pads sitting around and besides the ear piercing highs they created they were pretty good but for now I'm using the stock pads that came with the 80i's. What's the general opinion on the best pads to use?

What kind of amps are you guy using? Currently I only have the O2

First, I have not used any pink noise or or any other burn-in mechanism other than playing music through them for my pleasure. I don't think they've changed much if at all since I got my V5 drivers, so my vote is no, there is no burn in necessary.

Second, the L-cush Grado pad is the best pad for the Magnum V5...the other pads don't even come close in my opinion.

Lastly, I have found that the source makes the most difference for the Magnum. I happen to use an Aune T1 which is a USB Tube DAC and solid state amp combined. It's the best thing I have heard for my Magnums. Check the Aune T1 thread here: CLICK HERE.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #2,763 of 4,994
Quote:
First, I have not used any pink noise or or any other burn-in mechanism other than playing music through them for my pleasure. I don't think they've changed much if at all since I got my V5 drivers, so my vote is no, there is no burn in necessary.

Second, the L-cush Grado pad is the best pad for the Magnum V5...the other pads don't even come close in my opinion.

Lastly, I have found that the source makes the most difference for the Magnum. I happen to use an Aune T1 which is a USB Tube DAC and solid state amp combined. It's the best thing I have heard for my Magnums. Check the Aune T1 thread here: CLICK HERE.

I heartily agree. When I had a pair, they sounded fantastic with lossless files, coming out of a good amp (I had a Headstage Arrow 4G at the time), or even out of a decent player (a Cowon J3 in case). I know its a touch criminal as well, but my guilty pleasure was sometimes using the J3's equalizer on them as well.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #2,764 of 4,994
Quote:
Who manufacturers these custom drivers? Is Grado ok with this? Because I've seen people ripping out the drivers out of Grado's replacing it with various versions of Magnum drivers.

http://turbulentlabs.com/

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,765 of 4,994
Quote:

Magnum started by Symphones modifying 325i/MS2 headphones only.
They would liberate and modify the drivers then remount them in an aluminum inner housing (no plastic).
Finally they added new metal gimbals with a slightly thicker rod to provide more friction in the rod blocks and compensate for the weight of the added aluminum inner cups.
These are "Magnums" = Modified Grado 325 or MS2.
Note the drivers are held by screws not glue so easier to change out or re-cable etc.

After a while Symphones stopped offering the Magnum upgrade and the aluminum inner cups/gimbals. 
They now sell only "Magnum" drivers which they "make" in Canada.

Turbulent makes CNC'd wood cups that fit Grados or Magnum drivers.
Because no one was offering a"finished" Magnum product, Turbulent (with Headphone Lounge) now offer a "one stop shop" for ALL the components in one place to make Turbulent woody Magnums.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #2,768 of 4,994
Quote:

I've been reading up on the Aune T1 since you posted this and I'm very interested. Think I might grab one when funds become available, as of now I'll set with the O2.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2,769 of 4,994
Hey folks, off topic I suppose, but quick question. So, I have my grado Sr80i, and I have a pair of hifiman he400s. While I love the 400 immensely, they just aren't forward,especially vocals. Now, if anyone has experience with magnums and hifimans, I'd like to know if building a magnum would now be a good compliment to the hifimans, I actually have custom cocobolo outters with black limba inner sleeves already. I was in the midst of building the magnum but the planar bug bit me. Just now trying to figure out if they'd compliment each other. Thanks in advance and feel free to tell me to spend all of my money on hps, because I plan to anyways.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #2,770 of 4,994
Quote:
Hey folks, off topic I suppose, but quick question. So, I have my grado Sr80i, and I have a pair of hifiman he400s. While I love the 400 immensely, they just aren't forward,especially vocals. Now, if anyone has experience with magnums and hifimans, I'd like to know if building a magnum would now be a good compliment to the hifimans, I actually have custom cocobolo outters with black limba inner sleeves already. I was in the midst of building the magnum but the planar bug bit me. Just now trying to figure out if they'd compliment each other. Thanks in advance and feel free to tell me to spend all of my money on hps, because I plan to anyways.

I have a Magnum and compared it the the HE-400. The Magnum has way more clarity and a more tactile, forward, intimate sound (assuming you pair the magnum with the right source/amp). 

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2,772 of 4,994
I have a Magnum and compared it the the HE-400. The Magnum has way more clarity and a more tactile, forward, intimate sound (assuming you pair the magnum with the right source/amp). 

well, looks like once again I need money for this hobby. I'm guessing that ill still want the he400s around for their insanely fast drivers and soundstage though, just want a more in your face grado sound every now and then. At least I only need the magnum drivers to complete the build.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #2,773 of 4,994
ahhh. how i love the magnums. haven't used em in a while. been on the move with my v modas. another fine headphone indeed

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2,774 of 4,994
I can't find anything on the Turbulent site detailing changes between all the Magnum drivers. I have a Magnum Lite v2 MS2i (Symphones drivers and aluminium housing) that I subsequently upgraded to V2.5.

Since then Symphones has stopped doing the lite and full alu mods and are focused solely on drivers. But it seems like there's a new iteration every couple of months! Hard to keep up especially when the thread expands to this one and each thread is over a 150+ pages!

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #2,775 of 4,994
Quote:
I can't find anything on the Turbulent site detailing changes between all the Magnum drivers. I have a Magnum Lite v2 MS2i (Symphones drivers and aluminium housing) that I subsequently upgraded to V2.5.

Since then Symphones has stopped doing the lite and full alu mods and are focused solely on drivers. But it seems like there's a new iteration every couple of months! Hard to keep up especially when the thread expands to this one and each thread is over a 150+ pages!

Well, Turbulent has just recently (less than a year) become involved as the official distributor for Magnum drivers. Rhydon, the Magnum creator, used to sell them himself, but now Turbulent does the sales. The history of the Magnum is primarily contained in a few threads here on head-fi. I purchased the X when it came out around November 2012, so that means it's been about 9 months since the Magnums have seen an update. Rhydon is rather secretive about his driver developments, so it's anyone's guess as to if or when another driver revision will be out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back