Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2,492 of 4,994
Quote:

Thelostmidrange made them for me and I have to say he did a great job!

Finding someone who will make those is tricky...good for you! Those headphones look great...

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2,493 of 4,994
Quote:
I thought I recognized those notches on the drivers' side. great looking pair of cans! I love the wooden sleeves, really cool.

Thanks, I'm really happy with the result.

Quote:
Finding someone who will make those is tricky...good for you! Those headphones look great...

I know, had a lot of trouble finding someone. Thanks!

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2,494 of 4,994
I don't really want to go through all 160+ pages of the thread so I hope someone can spare a min and answer my question:

There are so many different variation of the grado magnum modded drivers, I've seen the Magnum X, Turbulent X drivers, Magnum V5 drivers, those modded directly from the Symphones website. So which are the same and which is not? I've only known of 2 places to buy magnum drivers, one from Turbulent labs for $130 per pair, and directly from Symphones. Magnum V5 drivers refer to which ones exactly?

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #2,495 of 4,994
Quote:
I don't really want to go through all 160+ pages of the thread so I hope someone can spare a min and answer my question:

There are so many different variation of the grado magnum modded drivers, I've seen the Magnum X, Turbulent X drivers, Magnum V5 drivers, those modded directly from the Symphones website. So which are the same and which is not? I've only known of 2 places to buy magnum drivers, one from Turbulent labs for $130 per pair, and directly from Symphones. Magnum V5 drivers refer to which ones exactly?

The ones you mention are all the same (official name would be Turbulent X drivers) and can only be bought from the Symphones Turbulent website.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,497 of 4,994
Because they are cooperating to move towards a one stop shop where customers can buy a complete product or as many of the required parts as possible to build/own Magnum headphones. Without this cooperation one would have to shop at Symphones for drivers, Turbulent for cups, Headphone Lounge for cables and headband etc...

Rydon supposedly 'designed' the latest driver to work with Turbulent cups, hence that name instead of V5 or V6. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,498 of 4,994
Quote:
Because they are cooperating to move towards a one stop shop where customers can buy a complete product or as many of the required parts as possible to build/own Magnum headphones. Without this cooperation one would have to shop at Symphones for drivers, Turbulent for cups, Headphone Lounge for cables and headband etc...

Rydon supposedly 'designed' the latest driver to work with Turbulent cups, hence that name instead of V5 or V6. 

Ok that makes sense. But since the Turbulent X drivers are designed to work with the Turbulent cups, it means if you don't want to use the Turbulent cups, any other cups that you get must be made of wood too right?

Also, since Symphones' cups are made of Aluminium, I suppose their latest drivers are tuned differently from the Turbulent X drivers. So how do they compare to each other?

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #2,499 of 4,994
IMO the synergy with Turbulent is more about branding and fit - making sure the cups and drivers fit perfectly, which is really more about making the cups right. Symphones is trying to make the best driver they can, regardless of what cup is used. The newest drivers would work fine in metal or wood housings/cups.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,500 of 4,994

Ok that makes sense. But since the Turbulent X drivers are designed to work with the Turbulent cups, it means if you don't want to use the Turbulent cups, any other cups that you get must be made of wood too right?

Also, since Symphones' cups are made of Aluminium, I suppose their latest drivers are tuned differently from the Turbulent X drivers. So how do they compare to each other?

Symphones doesn't do anything but drivers anymore. That site is very old. As far as tuning to the cup, despite the implications in the advertising copy, it's pretty minimal. Don't sweat the cup material. If I'm not mistaken, the Turbulent cups are polyurethaned anyway, so they behave pretty much like plastic. They aren't designed to be true resonators like thelostmidrange advocates

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,501 of 4,994
Quote:
Symphones doesn't do anything but drivers anymore. That site is very old. As far as tuning to the cup, despite the implications in the advertising copy, it's pretty minimal. Don't sweat the cup material. If I'm not mistaken, the Turbulent cups are polyurethaned anyway, so they behave pretty much like plastic. They aren't designed to be true resonators like thelostmidrange advocates

I think only the exterior of the Turbulent cups are polyurethaned to make it scratch resistant. They chose the Honduran Mahogany because it's a good tonewood, so I doubt they will apply the polyurethane layer to the interior as well.[size=xx-small] [/size]

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,503 of 4,994
Quote:
Finished  
beyersmile.png

**Images snipped**

- MCA low profile walnut cups
- Magnum X drivers
- Turbulent Labs saddle manta headband (custom - minimal padding)
- Self braided and made cable using 4 strands Toxic Cables 26awg OCC 7N w/ Viablue 3.5mm mini edition

Other mods:
- Taped bowls
- Sanded and polished stock gimbals

I found the thread after us chatting on ebay yesterday and haven't done much work since - just read through every word of the first 80 pages of the thread. Another 87 to go. 
It's going to happen 
wink_face.gif
. I can't solder for s**t so I'll keep an eye out for ww ship offered on a completed pair. It'll be a long wait but what the hell.

I'm currently running a Y-lite DAC and Mini3 (MisterX build) through MS1i's.

I was looking around ebay for somethin 225/325 -ish but this appears a better option from what I've read and a major upgrade to my set-up.

Anyway - just to say thanks for the tip.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,504 of 4,994
Quote:

I found the thread after us chatting on ebay yesterday and haven't done much work since - just read through every word of the first 80 pages of the thread. Another 87 to go. 
It's going to happen 
wink_face.gif
. I can't solder for s**t so I'll keep an eye out for ww ship offered on a completed pair. It'll be a long wait but what the hell.

I'm currently running a Y-lite DAC and Mini3 (MisterX build) through MS1i's.

I was looking around ebay for somethin 225/325 -ish but this appears a better option from what I've read and a major upgrade to my set-up.

Anyway - just to say thanks for the tip.

Soldering is a skill that will be useful lifelong... so learn 
cool.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,505 of 4,994
How do you like the Mini3? Thinking of getting him to make me one...

I am sure no one needs to hear me gush, but I am going to anyway...I am listening to Graceland through my new Magnum X's, it's a recording I know almost by heart, and the album is definitely getting new life from them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back