Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,506 of 4,994
My -soon to be- Magnums V5. I couldn't resist, and asked Chris to make me a cable to match the cups, and I don't regret that decision at all.

Now I just need to wait for Chris_Himself to send me the new cable and earpads, a little soldering here, a little asemble there, and I will be done. By the way; the cups are gorgeous!

I am so excited! 

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2,508 of 4,994
Quote:
How do you like the Mini3? Thinking of getting him to make me one...

I am sure no one needs to hear me gush, but I am going to anyway...I am listening to Graceland through my new Magnum X's, it's a recording I know almost by heart, and the album is definitely getting new life from them...

Well it's hard for me to compare it to a lot but I prefer to what I've heard from Fiio.
It's beautifully made, sturdy and small.
Sound is more than I ever wanted and seems perfect for my MS1's. I had the gain set to the lower setting (2 I think)
It was a while ago now - when I frist joined this forum but MisterX was excellent. He was short on some chips so I bought them here in the UK and posted them to him as part of the deal. Everything went perfectly.
The DAC is a perfect match too. I leave the DAC on the desk and take the amp with me (with RE0's) and a G3 nano/LOD and it is a very small package on the go.
I'm not sure where the mini3 stacks up these days against the myriad of what's now available but, at the time, it was the kiddie in affordable and yet portable amplicfication.
A friend listened to mine and bought one immediately for his HD600's he was so impressed.
Not sure if that gives you much info of use but hope it helps.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,509 of 4,994
Thanks, that's actually rather helpful. I am tempted, but think I might be picking up an RSA Hornet...old design, but much loved it appears, and has the potential to run for 120 hours on a Lithium 9v battery...

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #2,510 of 4,994
Ok so I've been reading up more and more on the V5, I have a limba housed V4 magnum can, I was wondering if anyone here would think it would be worthwhile for me to upgrade? You can see my set up in my signature. Thanks!

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,511 of 4,994
Quote:
Ok so I've been reading up more and more on the V5, I have a limba housed V4 magnum can, I was wondering if anyone here would think it would be worthwhile for me to upgrade? You can see my set up in my signature. Thanks!

I own the v4 and v5. The v5 are slightly easier listening, they have more bass and the highs are tamed a little. I reach for them more than the v4 as I prefer the balance.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,512 of 4,994
Quote:

I own the v4 and v5. The v5 are slightly easier listening, they have more bass and the highs are tamed a little. I reach for them more than the v4 as I prefer the balance.

I think how the V5 sounds depends in large part on the enclosure. With the Vibro Classic Cups (which I also used when I had the V4), the V5's bass doesn't sound much different to me from the V4. The mids are a touch more recessed, and sometimes I wish my V5 had the mids of the V4. But the detail, separation, and clarity sounds better with the V5.

From my experience, the V4 sounds a bit more balanced.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,513 of 4,994
It's very hard to compare generations of Magnums because there are so many variables to the final sound including enclosures, mounting, cables. Very hard to A/B compare. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #2,514 of 4,994
I've just completed my magnums - V5 and vibro cups from turbulent labs. I'm incredibly impressed with the sound, especially as my previous drivers were MS1is. However I noticed when first listening a rattle in the right driver which now seems to have stopped after around 10hrs of use. Is this normal? I'm familiar with the Grado rattle but this has only happened to me before after years of use.

The Grado rattle can only be due to a fault in the diaphragm (which would need to be replaced, though you can try sucking it out to see if it can be 'unpopped' [not recommended]) or to loose wooden fibres vibrating along with a certain bass note (removing them might solve your issue if that happens to be your problem).

Don't forget to contact Turbulent Labs they should be able to help you further and at worst send you a new pair of drivers or replace them for you if you send in your pair.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #2,515 of 4,994
Quote:
The Grado rattle can only be due to a fault in the diaphragm (which would need to be replaced, though you can try sucking it out to see if it can be 'unpopped' [not recommended]) or to loose wooden fibres vibrating along with a certain bass note (removing them might solve your issue if that happens to be your problem).

Don't forget to contact Turbulent Labs they should be able to help you further and at worst send you a new pair of drivers or replace them for you if you send in your pair.

I think it was the wooden fibres because after testing with frequency sweeps the rattling only happened at one exact bass note as you state. The rattling stopped by itself after a little while but I have since lightly sandpapered the inside of the cups and checked for any loose fibres.

Jin at Turbulent Labs was excellent. He got back to me quickly and offered a replacement but I informed him that all is well for the moment.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,516 of 4,994
Good then. So according to the nature of the problem you had and how you appear to have (at least partially) solved it, it looks true that the polyurethane finish on the Turbulent cups is only applied on the exterior and for the sake of durability and uniform reproductability.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,517 of 4,994
Quote:
Good then. So according to the nature of the problem you had and how you appear to have (at least partially) solved it, it looks true that the polyurethane finish on the Turbulent cups is only applied on the exterior and for the sake of durability and uniform reproductability.

Except that applying a non-resonant plastic to a resonant body is likely to prevent it from resonating, or at least change its resonance. That was among midranges points. You are applying a solid and rigid aspect to the wood cups. Are violins or cellos polyurethaned ever? Even on the outside? I don't believe so, though I spose I could be wrong.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,518 of 4,994
Guitars can be finished with polyurethane. it is more durable and cheaper than lacquer but can affect tonality. 
Best sounding guitars are tung oiled. Sometimes a beautiful finish is not the best for sound.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,520 of 4,994
hey guys. just bought a sr125 from a member here with the intention if incrementally converting them into a magnum. i plan to pick up the parts from turbulent labs. before i spend any more money, could you guys give me some advice? what headphone does the turbulent x driver sound most similar to in a wood cup? also, is anyone still making custom wood cups? i emailed martin custom audio and havent received a response yet. ill most likely get the vibro classic cups, but i would like to make sure its going to meet my sonic expectations. any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back