Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,478 of 4,994
damn i thought i was special. only one here that can go magnums.....wait, we're talking about headphones. oppsy!

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,480 of 4,994
Been spending time with these this week. I see how they could be called bassy...I have had to turn off all the Jeteffect settings on my Cowon J3, and on my Clip+ with its FiiO E5 I had to turn the bass boost off. They definitely need a neutral-ish source, and they benefit from amplification.

I am loving hearing classic albums through them...Blonde on Blonde by Dylan, Music from the Big Pink by the Band, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders by Bowie...

Have yet to order other pads still.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #2,481 of 4,994
Quote:
Been spending time with these this week. I see how they could be called bassy...I have had to turn off all the Jeteffect settings on my Cowon J3, and on my Clip+ with its FiiO E5 I had to turn the bass boost off. They definitely need a neutral-ish source, and they benefit from amplification.

I am loving hearing classic albums through them...Blonde on Blonde by Dylan, Music from the Big Pink by the Band, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders by Bowie...

Have yet to order other pads still.

What pads do you have?

I personally remain confused by allegations that these are bassy. My particular V5's have bass levels similar to the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads, which really is the least bassy of the Grados. I suspect my Vibro Classic Cups may be the reason.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,482 of 4,994
I am using the L-Cush...I have the drivers mounted using the same foam that Luke hands out with the Vibro cups, but as mentioned before, am using Cabillas mahoganies.

Perhaps it's the fact that Vibro cups are notched and not drilled for cabling? That has to do something, right?

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,484 of 4,994
Perfect! An excuse to find new cups :)...onward and upward in the name of science.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,486 of 4,994
Finished my magnum build consisting of:
- Magnum v5/X drivers
- SR325is outer cups
- Wooden inner cups
- Onyx manta headband
- Grado 8-conductor cable with Neutrik NP3X-B 1/4'' plug
- Stock Grado gimbals

sound impressions?

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #2,488 of 4,994
I've just completed my magnums - V5 and vibro cups from turbulent labs. I'm incredibly impressed with the sound, especially as my previous drivers were MS1is. However I noticed when first listening a rattle in the right driver which now seems to have stopped after around 10hrs of use. Is this normal? I'm familiar with the Grado rattle but this has only happened to me before after years of use.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2,489 of 4,994
Finished my magnum build consisting of:
- Magnum v5/X drivers
- SR325is outer cups
- Wooden inner cups
- Onyx manta headband
- Grado 8-conductor cable with Neutrik NP3X-B 1/4'' plug
- Stock

Just curious, where did you get the wooden inner sleeves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back