Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2,447 of 4,994
What is your portable source? I have been using my Cowon J3 without an amp with all my Grados...going to try it with my Magnums too.

Been thinking about going back to iPods for capacity, and pairing one with an O2, maybe the C5 if reviews are good. One of the better pairings I have heard is a pair of 325is and a PA2V2...

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2,448 of 4,994
Quote:
Sorry I meant GBP.
I am not sure if you can avoid the import tax that way. You would still need to pay unless the headphones are repaired items that you sent from UK to US before (you need postal receipt to prove that). 

Thank you  for the info ... I will end up saving some money but no more than £100 if that ..  :)

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2,449 of 4,994
Quote:
thanks fleas, I just emailed MCA so hopefully I hear back soon. 

On a side note, where amp/dacs are you guys using for your Magnums? I'm looking for the best choice as a portable amp/dac solution.

I use the Hisound Studio 3rd AE as my main DAP, and Ray Samuel's The Predator Amp/Dac with my laptop at work (till I get my CEntrance Hifi M8, currently on pre-order).

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #2,450 of 4,994
Feb 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #2,451 of 4,994
Hey everyone where is a good place that I can buy some different earpads? I saw some on ebay but I am not sure if there are better options so I wanted to ask before I got something.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pad-for-Grado-SR80-SR60-SR125-SR225-SR325-Headphone-Cushions-/200881972236?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec57fa40c

That is what I found. Do any of the forum members sell pads?

Thanks!

Todd the Vinyl Junkie sells bowl pads, flats, and jumbo pads. I think bowls are the best by far but ymmv. Some people also buy those foam sennheiser pads on ebay but I think they sound meh.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2,452 of 4,994
You might get fakes if you buy them on eBay.

I always use TTVJ personally, he ships them to Canada rapidly and relatively cheaply.  I do buy official Sennheiser PX100 and HD414 pads on eBay though (they sound plain and airy but offer the most comfort out of the flats and the bowls).

I don't think any forum member sell or make Grado pads, but an used pair (bowls/flats/bagels) does come up from time to time on the ForSale forum here, you can definitely try making a "Wanted" post there and save a bit of money.

While bowl seems to be the most popular pad, personally I prefer the flat (even if they provide the worst comfort to my ears) because it gives me a better balance –less treble and more bass–; others prefer having the soundstage of the bowl. Personally I don't care about soundstage (I'm not sure if I can even hear it, or if I ever tried to), that's one of the reason why I chose Grado headphones in the first place, to get the driver as close as possible to my ears. I also put 3M Scotch tape around my pads.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,453 of 4,994
I really need to try some flats, but they are almost as expensive as Jumbos 
mad.gif

How close do reverse quarter modded comfies come to the sound of flats?

Taped bowls are my preferred pad at the moment with my Magnums, but only a thin tape around the middle of the pad. Wider tape that covers the entire side of the pad bloats the sound too much for me.

My Magnum build is nearing completion. Got a saddle headband coming from turbulentlabs that's the missing piece. Recabled with 26awg OCC copper few days ago also. Pics coming soon.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #2,455 of 4,994
Nope, the Flats were the pads originally supplied with Joseph Grado headphones. They're sold only on the TTVJ website.

All the pads are shown here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Flats are in the middle, with the radiating slits

Quote:
When you guy say flats are you referring to the L Cush? And when you say jumbos you're obviously referring to the G Cush right?

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,456 of 4,994
Speaking of pads, I need a good person willing to send me a pair of bowls to Costa Rica :blush: (shipping as cheap as possible, and envelop will do). No Grado dealer will do so, and the one who would do it will charge $50 just for shipping. That's all I need to finish my project.
PM me if you want, or if you know somebody.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #2,457 of 4,994
Feb 24, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #2,458 of 4,994
Speaking of pads, I need a good person willing to send me a pair of bowls to Costa Rica :blush: (shipping as cheap as possible, and envelop will do). No Grado dealer will do so, and the one who would do it will charge $50 just for shipping. That's all I need to finish my project.
PM me if you want, or if you know somebody.

I can do it if you're serious, just ship them to my house and I'll handle it from there. Give me a PM.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #2,459 of 4,994
Speaking of pads, I just did the tape mod experimentally after someone linked to the Innerfidelity article about the different Grado pads and mods. Seems to have brought back some of the space and air that I missed from my V2s, though I think the result has me turning up the volume, making the sound a little uncomfortable after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back